• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NickleBanks

Jackson Conti - Sujinho

53 posts in this topic

What did you guys think of this one?

http://www.discogs.c...o/master/129514

One of my favourite Madlib projects but never hear much about it. Such a deadly summer album in my opinion. Full of great cuts. Bought the Mochilla CD when it first came out and now just stumbled across a almost mint LP version for dirt cheap and can't stop playing it. Definitely recommend it to Madlib/YNQ heads if you haven't heard it already.

1 person likes this

Definitely one of my favorite YU projects!

Glad this thread has been resurected! Not much love for his jazz on this message board.

1 person likes this

I would love to know what tracks are being covered on this album if anyone has that info. Maybe we can identity the originals of each song kind of like the threads for The Madlib Medicine Show mixes.

Here's a start

Side A

"Mamaoism" - 00:32

"Berumba" (Luiz Eça & Bebeto) - 03:47

"Anna de Amsterdam (Interlude)" - 00:18

"Praca da Republica" - 04:02

"Papaia" (Alex Malheiros) - 10:03

Side B

"Brasilian Sugar" - 06:27

"Sao Paulo Nights" - 04:21

"Xibaba" (Airto Moreira)- 04:51

"Upa Neguinho"(Edu Lobo / Gianfrancesco Guarnieri) - 04:14

Side C

"Casa Forte"(Edu Lobo) - 03:51

"Amazon Stroll" - 04:30

"Berimbau"(Baden Powell / Vinicius de Moraes) - 05:15

"Anna de Amsterdam (Reprise)" - 00:27

"Waiting On The Corner"(Humberto Teixeira & Sivuca) - 05:01

Side D

"Tijuca Man" - 02:38

"Nao Tem Nada Nao"(Marcos Valle) - 03:36

"Sunset At Sujinho" - 01:55

"Segura Esta Onda" - 07:01

I would love to know what tracks are being covered on this album if anyone has that info. Maybe we can identity the originals of each song kind of like the threads for The Madlib Medicine Show mixes.

Been wondering the same thing. The liner notes make it sound like the songs/compositions are originals that came out of their meeting but other sources, like the video above, describe them as cover versions of Azymuth songs. The song names are at least original, I think... anyone know more about this?

1 person likes this

there were covers as well as original compositions

ynqhead thanks for that list

Papaia was my favorite track but the whole thing is lovely

I liked that breakdown in the last song so much that I had to mess with it. from few months ago

sujinho is a very underrated madlib project...

this mix on mochilla is sick as well

spetodaruamadlib.jpg

1 person likes this

Brazilian Sugar is a George Duke cover from his album Brazilian Love Affair.

I found Sujinho and its story identical to this George Duke Project. Pick up the vinyl.

1 person likes this

Unrelated but...

Anyone notice the ugly beauty of these drums?

1 person likes this

Brazilian Sugar is a George Duke cover from his album Brazilian Love Affair.

I found Sujinho and its story identical to this George Duke Project. Pick up the vinyl.

Good looks!! This is exactly what I was talking about with regards to identifying what is being covered.

The info about the Duke project is an nice extra little bonus...

sujinho is a very underrated madlib project...

this mix on mochilla is sick as well

spetodaruamadlib.jpg

If you haven't listened to this yet, you'll have something that demands your ears for a couple of months.

1 person likes this

I loaded up the waterpipe last night and sat back while this played on my turntable. I have to say the accordion in Praca da Republica is so fucking outstanding it has to be one of my favorite moments on the LP. The first time I ever listened to this album was also the first time I tripped acid, and I couldn't stop dancing for the entire length of the record. The crazy thing is that no matter what I'm doing, whenever I hear the music from Jackson Conti I can't help but start doing a little jig.

I loaded up the waterpipe last night and sat back while this played on my turntable. I have to say the accordion in Praca da Republica is so fucking outstanding it has to be one of my favorite moments on the LP. The first time I ever listened to this album was also the first time I tripped acid, and I couldn't stop dancing for the entire length of the record. The crazy thing is that no matter what I'm doing, whenever I hear the music from Jackson Conti I can't help but start doing a little jig.

Haha I'm listening to that exact song now with a bottle of red

Nabbed the CD when it dropped and, from the get-go, my fav's been Xibaba.

there's something in the background of the "waiting on the corner" track that makes me think they were riffing off of miles davis' "on the corner". or i could be tripping.

The instrumental/part 2 was used on a few of The Madlib mixes and a mind fusion

2 people like this

Bought it on Vinyl when it dropped, even got a free T Shirt with it. I really need to re listen to this. Been about 4-5 years since I've listened to this.

even got a free T Shirt with it.

You lucky bastard! I want one of them shirts too.

You lucky bastard! I want one of them shirts too.

Yeah, one of the nicer "album shirts" I've seen. Wish they were still available.

Yeah, one of the nicer "album shirts" I've seen. Wish they were still available.

A couple of my buddies just purchased a t-shirt press so I'm planning on making a bootleg shirt with the collage image that graces the cover of the vinyl version.

1 person likes this

A couple of my buddies just purchased a t-shirt press so I'm planning on making a bootleg shirt with the collage image that graces the cover of the vinyl version.

Nice! If you can, let me know how it turns out and if you have any extras you want to sell.

Nice! If you can, let me know how it turns out and if you have any extras you want to sell.

For sure man, once I have my shirt pressed up I'll post a pic of it and you can just let me know what size. Should I count you in too qhead?