Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mindstates

Know Any Rare, Hard Hitting Breaks?

24 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I was just wondering if any of you know any rare, hard hitting breaks. I dont really like the common ones (that little Feat one, the Honeydrippers-Impeach the president). It would be awesome if you guys could show me some from around the world, too. thanks.

Don't know if thats meant to be sarcastic...if it is then you might as well keep it to yourself...instead of trolling...

Naw, I just come from the school of thought that a person has to put the time in digging the breaks out themselves. Of course it's nice to have someone point you in the right direction, I can understand that. I'm certain there are some other posters here who feel that anyone should be able to just print out a list of every great drum break/sample ever. For me though most of the fun is in discovering new music by taking the time to actually listen to troves and troves of records. I also don't e-dig whatsoever, not that there's anything wrong with it.

3 people like this

Hi guys, I was just wondering if any of you know any rare, hard hitting breaks. I dont really like the common ones (that little Feat one, the Honeydrippers-Impeach the president). It would be awesome if you guys could show me some from around the world, too. thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNG3XqGAIxs

here ya go, champ.

Don't know if thats meant to be sarcastic...if it is then you might as well keep it to yourself...instead of trolling...

right and you wernt trolling in the first place with this post? there is no way your being serious and if you are you might aswell just fuck off now

Yeah, um, Im just getting started in making beats...I understand that you guys may not have agreed to what I said. But does that mean you have to outright diss me? Yeah ok, IM the troll...

Yeah, um, Im just getting started in making beats...I understand that you guys may not have agreed to what I said. But does that mean you have to outright diss me? Yeah ok, IM the troll...

Welcome to STMB!

1 person likes this

you dont like 'common' breaks that have been used on thousands of classic records? :rolleyes:

heard about this pretty rare one, something like 'clunky drummer' or something, mad secret though don't tell people

someone post up the bette midler and liberace breaks

hahaha, i started laughing when i read 'Liberace breaks'...

"Waddddyaaa theeeeeenk about theeese breaks, aren't thaaaaaaaay just wonderful?"

Geez guy's going a bit hard on the guy, he needs advice, we all had to start somewhere, some of you really shoundn't have kids, " Daddy can you tie my shoe lace ? " No fuck off you little troll, google it. All he needed telling was go work it out for himself.

Give the guy a BREAK !! :P

Ocean-Put you hand in the hand, Elvis did it also with some fire breaks.

Geez guy's going a bit hard on the guy, he needs advice, we all had to start somewhere, some of you really shoundn't have kids, " Daddy can you tie my shoe lace ? " No fuck off you little troll, google it. All he needed telling was go work it out for himself.

Give the guy a BREAK !! :P

my future children will have to google themselves through life and they will be better people for it

1 person likes this

my future children will have to google themselves through life and they will be better people for it

Blimy they're already famous before they're born, can't think of anything worse than googling yourself !! (I couldn't resist sorry holmes :D )

just record yourself bashing rocks and shit, that's what i do. i don't need no goddamn drummy breaks.

I have a 4 year old and an 8 month old. They've been doing just fine with this strategy!

1 person likes this

"STMB is so real its the place where parents tell their own children to fuck off if they come with some wack trolling-ass threads"

1 person likes this

Most people are reluctant to give hand outs of rare breaks because just that, they're rare gems. Imagine digging for hours and hours in a dusty basement to find that ONE break where it makes you go "Wooo!" You're going to keep that one to yourself of course!

But too get breaks to sound hard hitting, you're going to have to study up on drum programming and sound design. i.e. using EQ to sculpt your drums, compression to get them to hit right, saturation/distortion to make it gritty, and layering them with drum machine samples to get them to knock.

Pull up a song with hard hitting drums that you like (Pete Rock, DJ Premier, etc) and study them while looking at a spectrum analyzer and watch how your speaker cones move. This helps give you a reference point to how they should move the speaker, do the same with your drums. It could take years to get your drum sound how you like it, and the only way to get there is to practice, practice, practice!

Most people are reluctant to give hand outs of rare breaks because just that, they're rare gems. Imagine digging for hours and hours in a dusty basement to find that ONE break where it makes you go "Wooo!" You're going to keep that one to yourself of course!

But too get breaks to sound hard hitting, you're going to have to study up on drum programming and sound design. i.e. using EQ to sculpt your drums, compression to get them to hit right, saturation/distortion to make it gritty, and layering them with drum machine samples to get them to knock.

Pull up a song with hard hitting drums that you like (Pete Rock, DJ Premier, etc) and study them while looking at a spectrum analyzer and watch how your speaker cones move. This helps give you a reference point to how they should move the speaker, do the same with your drums. It could take years to get your drum sound how you like it, and the only way to get there is to practice, practice, practice!

look at this dude over here

giving good advice

who do you think you are

Thanks for helping me man. Yeah, I guess my post was kinda stupid and amateur, but at the same time everyone didn't have to be that harsh. Im just getting into making beats with samples, so I kind of needed someone to point me in the right direction. Its kind of hard to find decent drums just by digging through records that you haven't even heard of. Also, thanks Chief Buddha for letting me know about those breaks.

look at this dude over here

giving good advice

who do you think you are

dig the new thumbnail, Primate.