• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  
OfficeTime8889

Oddisee

16 posts in this topic

How do you guys feel about Oddisee? I think I came across his music through his work w/ Kev Brown, and I've loved his work since.

Perhaps my favorite tracks of his is this, check it out and share your thoughts:

Heard him on some features, finally started checking out some of his own stuff. His album last year was one of my favorites and Maybes has to be in my top 3 songs for 2012:

Miami/Paris are awesome too

Pretty much the Mello Music Group equivalent to Stones Throw's Madlib, haha. Oddisee is great, he got some amazing work done. I love his Rock Creek Park LP, that's probably one of the nicest instrumental albums and yU did a good job as the only rapper on it (as usual). People Hear What They See was great, too. A very mature rap album

1 person likes this

Oddisee is and always has been dope. MelloMusic is maybe my second favorite label, beside ST. Him and Apollo Brown holdin' it down. First noticed him with his, at that time free, odd-seasons-releases. check that out if you haven't. all of his stuff has a concept to it and thats a thing i like a lot. And his music of course is most of the time just beautiful, not over-produced, not too experimental but always nice and soulful

We need another Diamond District album!!

It's coming this year. All of them released good solo albums lately.

Yeah, the new album is dope. His last 4 releases (3 albums & 1 mixtape) have all been very good.

1 person likes this

Been a fan since I stumbled upon this little diddy.. I agree with Mr Gerbik on the Madlib comparison. Loving the new album too, it did a great job breaking the TPAB rotation for me :)

2 people like this

I'm seriously digging this track ^^^

One of the best ways to catch my attention is to rap in 5/4 time signature. Since then, I have been keeping my ear open to his work a bit more.

To be honest, I have some apologizing to do for Mello Music Group. I used to think Mello Music was full of music tailor made for people who sit around complaining that hip-hop was better back in the day, but prefer the homogenized, superserious version of "real hip-hop" over it's truly experimental nature...and I am an open minded listener of hip-hop. Turns out things aren't as cut-and-dry as it seems.

Foot in the Door was probably my most played album the year it dropped and still played it a lot a good time after. Kind of lost interest in Oddisee altogether when I lost interest in that mixtape. It's not like he has been doing anything different since so with every new project I feel like I already heard it before. He's still pretty though, and consistent for sure, but also a little boring.

So, how ya'll feel about that new Odd Tape? First i thought its a bit boring, but boy was i wrong. After giving it some time you can really feel the warmth and diversity he put in that.

Only have given it one listen, I was enjoying it more than his last full length (which I thought ended up being pretty forgettable outside of a few tracks after the excitement from the first few spins). The free EP he put out before Odd Tape is also pretty great and worth a listen especially the first track.