• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phemom

Stones Throw Releases That Surprised You.

10 posts in this topic

In the last 5-7 years ST has dropped so much that isn't hip-hop (I remember a long thread here hating on this), is there anything you expected to hate that you ended up buying?

There's a bunch personally, but there's 2 that stand out:

First was Mayer Hawthorne....I think ST kinda dropped this out of nowhere, and I knew Mayer from the DJ Haircut days, so I didn't think dude could sing. Once I heard the snippet I went crazy over it [sidebar: when I got the CD, I still haven't heard the songs on the 4"], the heart-shaped 12" always gets a crazy look when people see it too.

The second is more recent: Chrome Canyon. I didn't know anything about it before I listened, but as a drip subscriber I downloaded it just because it was available...then ignored it for months. Listened to it New Years Day on the random, which led it being in constant rotation for 2 weeks. Prolly because it goes all over the place, it's as "interesting" as it is "good".

Anyone else?

In Search of Stoney Jackson was a big surprise for me. Obviously I knew the beats would be on point, but I had never really heard anything impressive from them so I didn't know what to expect lyrically.

It blew me away. Up there with the best hip hop releases ST put out IMO.

1 person likes this

Adolescent Funk

Dam-Funk

In Search of Stoney Jackson was a big surprise for me. Obviously I knew the beats would be on point, but I had never really heard anything impressive from them so I didn't know what to expect lyrically.

It blew me away. Up there with the best hip hop releases ST put out IMO.

Everything he said.

1 person likes this

Everything he said.

yall just made me order that MF off amazon hell yeah

me n ma son bout to be playin dis sheit yo!

Geechie MF d

cant forget Aloe Blacc.

good things was an instant classic.