• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  
Mangoes Cash

Until The Quiet Comes

117 posts in this topic

yah, thats what i was suspecting. I want him to go back to his Los Angelas and Raw Cartoons days. Those two things are crazy good. Much simpler than Cosmogramma and Until the Quiet COmes ( I suspect).

He's mentioned in a couple of interviews that the material he's already started working on for his next record is very much in the vein of "Los Angeles".

1 person likes this

ooo. i likes.

i think cosmogramma and probably utqc just get too fancy. like gordon ramsey says, "good simple ingredients". keep it simple. pays off. these are too abstract. they challenge the listener. which is cool, but not great imo.

they challenge the listener. which is cool, but not great imo.

I'm going to disagree on this. That's the exact reason why I like Cosmogramma and UTQC the best! They challenge the ear drums and once the music clicks with you it's like a feat or great payoff. That's precisely why they've been replayed dozens of times for me.

Not to say that it's better than the other stuff.. just my opinion. Meh.

I'm going to disagree on this. That's the exact reason why I like Cosmogramma and UTQC the best! They challenge the ear drums and once the music clicks with you it's like a feat or great payoff. That's precisely why they've been replayed dozens of times for me.

Not to say that it's better than the other stuff.. just my opinion. Meh.

Im going to disagree with this, no just playing. Whatever, I just know I enjoy Los Angelas most of the two. UTQC I have not heard. But yah, what evs.

I know liv likes cosmo....jazz heads feel flylo s busier, "fancier" stuff, because that's all it can really be called...i love cosmo, it's a crazy episode of alternate universe free jazz. The new one, for anyone concerned, is far less busy and paranoid. If cosmogramma was beautiful in a stark, unworldly starry way, then this record is more like something earthly, like love...regardless, it IS very beautiful. Much simpler, fewer fancy transitions, just jazz moods. It sounds like he's taken cues from his golden boy signee, teebs at certain points. Can even hear some damfunkyness going on in certain tracks. I fucking love this guy

1 person likes this

it was pretty dope, i couldve done without his little samiyam impression though, whatever track it was, yall know what im talking about.

it was pretty dope, i couldve done without his little samiyam impression though, whatever track it was, yall know what im talking about.

the tracks that lent more towards that sound i like less

let's just say I "heard" the album this evening and was thoroughly impressed.

A lot of electronic music is starting to sound the same.

... which is why I can appreciate a producer like flying lotus. a lot electronic music producers nowadays are relying way too heavily on glitchy shit.

I've felt that if you were into his music early, you grew as he did. I've liked his direction since 1983. UTQC fits beautifully in his catalog. He broke from that peloton of alright producers and has been on his own for a min now. But in the end, the music has to speak to you.

Still stuck on getting there..

2 people like this

I've felt that if you were into his music early, you grew as he did.

Side A in bananers. Side B. Not so much. It reminds me of a lot of those crappy jazz records I bought. The ones that I thought were cool, and would be chalked full of samples and worth the ten bucks I paid for them, but ended up listening to once.

Side B has its moments tho and it is interesting, but Side A? FUcKinG ReDONCULers.

Classic. Honestly, for me, side A is going down as one of the greatest album sides ever.

Good work mang!

i love flying lotus albums personally i feel like this one was much better than cosmogramma.. this was a great album for what it is imo.

Yah. I only gave it one listen with a nice buzz today and I have to say I think it is so much better than Cosmogramma. And Cosmogramma is no slouch.

Flying Lotus just confirmed himself as a great artist with this. Up there with whomever. Beatles, RZA, Tribe.....

1 person likes this

Feelin' what I've heard so far on the album, I'm gonna be takin' it in the same way as I did Cosmogramma, but I'm gonna try not to compare the two. This one sounds like it has its unique lane.

I am loving this album more and more every day, but I don't want to kill it. I'll give it a day off tomorrow. Some amazing shit on there.

Yah, second listen had me appreciating the second half more and choking up, like 3 times. I'm serious. I think it is so cool, and amazing to hear something made by a kid, disciple of dilla, hip hop head, making something that matters. That is interesting, that required thought and effort.

1 person likes this

The more I listen to this album the more accepting I am of it. It has about two songs I could do without but It's too diverse to like everything. Its very subtle and surreal in nature. Only moments I don't like is when the sound gets all brash after I've just enjoyed a hazy audible dream for 1:07.

I can hear bits of Pattern Grid World like Time Vampires and Clay but, at the same time I also hear jazziness of Cosmogramma steamrolled out to fit this theme. Nice transition Flylo!

I want him to go back to his Los Angelas and Raw Cartoons days.

I want him to go back to his Raw Cartoons days.

I want him to go back

brfqH.png

why would you want to stop him from experimenting? that's what flying lotus is about, man. if you want beats like Raw Cartoons, listen to Raw Cartoons. Flying Lotus's new stuff is some of the most beautiful music I've heard. Ever.

3 people like this

i just like that shit.

i dont care tho.

i dont care tho.

i dont care tho.

until the quiet comes is amazing

amazing

amazing.

Didn't fall in love with cosmogramma until I heard it stoned. Utqc is solid but not epic after a few listens. I'll have to have a session with some heady herb to judge for sure. Lots of good sounds though for sure

Incredible album, day one purchase. I really enjoyed Cosomogramma, but this one tops it easily. Think the last 20 seconds of that Badu song would have sold me on this album alone, fantastic sound.