• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  
Supreme

God's Gift

38 posts in this topic

does this guy have a solo album ?? and how does he looks like ?? i can find information about him

2 people like this

first he disses MC's for wackness, then he aims at the audience who supports this practice

classic

hahahahah

i m hoping theyll be a couble godsgift tracks on the vol. 5

1 person likes this

and how does he looks like ??

:P real or a joke??

1 person likes this

real

:angry: okaaaaay . . . . well you'l be happy to hear and im telling you this first hand that god's gift is an absoloute stunner

3 people like this

Need to grab that EP. That Further Adventures of Walkman Flavor track he was on from Mind Fusion 4 (and I think Med Show 5) is one of my all time favorites. The way he sounds on that beat is fantastic.

2 people like this

geech!!!!!!!!

2 people like this

Peace everyone!

I'm excited to say that I've been in contact w/ God's Gift and will be producing his FIRST ever interview. It'll be published on my site.

From a fan's perspective, a lot of us have had questions about him and his career. He's not been the most accessible of emcees in recent times -- he and I will be addressing that -- but I want to give you guys the opportunity to get some feedback on your questions.

Feel free to drop some question here or directly to my email… arismendyh@gmail.com. If you're going the email route, please use "GOD'S GIFT" as your subject line.

This is a little something for the nerd in all of us… people who appreciate nuance and truly appreciate history. He's not got the largest fan base nor most extensive catalog, but he does have quite a legacy… one many of us are familiar with from a distance. Time to bring God's Gift to the light!

1 person likes this

WOW cant wait for the interview, Its hard to think up any questions that are not Lootpack or Kankick related im pretty sure hes tired of those, but ill ask some anyway... if I think up some questions ill sent.

1 person likes this

i'd like to ask

'who are you and what are you doing here?'

2 people like this

i'd like to ask

'who are you and what are you doing here?'

LOL… sounds like a question reserved for Kevin Spacey's character in K-PAX. Judging by the conversations we've had thus far, IDK that this implication wouldn't be too far off. Anywho, I can't wait to bring his story to the forefront. A lot of his backstory is going to surprise you guys… I'm positive

Peace and blessings!

I want to say thank you to all those still interested in what I write after all these years! I have been enjoying talking with Aris and we are sure to have an insightful and fun interview. Please hit him with ANY questions you may have. Also, since I'm on this message board now, you can get at me directly as well. Thank you.

6 people like this

Appreciate everyone who's submitted questions via email & Twitter. Keep 'em coming!

EDIT –– Thursday, May 26:

EDIT –– Wednesday, June1:

I couldn't sleep last night knowing this was coming today.

1 person likes this

that tweet right up there says "july"

but july 1st isn't a wednesday

1 person likes this

Great interview very easy listen, hopefully one day kan kick lets u interview him! I had a dream he came out with an album this year. cant wait for the rest!!!!!!!

1 person likes this

First part didn't really deliver an interview just yet, for now I kinda learned more by proceeding to his website with bio and track descriptions. Did he complete that solo album that's mentioned there? I do look forward the rest of the interview, God's Gift fascinated me instantly on The Antidote.

God’s Gift was introduced to hip hop by his cousin Damon Dees & friend Lance Pruitt. Free-styling in their garage, influenced by Run DMC & Kurtis Blow.

Born in San Bernardino, he would go to the Crest movie theater. There he witnessed more MCs free-styling & beat-boxing. Although he started writing poetry in the 3rd grade by the 5th grade he was free-styling too.
In the 9th grade he started writing rhymes & making songs & that’s when he met Jack (Wild Child) & Kankick. Kankick invited Gift to come hear beats at his place & there he joined the rest of the Funk Farm crew (DeClaime, Dj Babu, Abstract Wino, V.I.C and Unorthodox Steve).
A graffiti artist named Jim introduced Gift to Madlib. Through Madlib he hooked up with the rest of the CDP crew (Dj Romes, Oh No, M.E.D and Kazi). This led to some of the historic recordings for the Lootpacks first 12" "Attack of the Tupperware Puppets".
Gift also ran with his younger cousin Deja Voo & his crew Mystery’s Extinction (Blame One, Sandy Lion and Dj Crow). Based out of North County San Diego.
From 1982-1996, there was nothing better than hip hop for Gift. He listened to his mother’s taste in music but hip hop was everything. "I am thankful to have made a small contribution to the most influential music on the planet." Moving to Oxnard from San Bernardino around 1984. In high school about 1987, he met his Funk Farm (Outer Xistance) and CDP (lootpack) crew friends.
Madlib & Kankick had the beats so he was either at the Palace (Madlib’s room) or The Farm (Kankick’s garage).
When it came to making the Lootpack albums he doesn’t remember much except they first recorded The Lost Tapes at Madlib’s house, then again at DJ Pooh’s house " I met west coast legend King Tee there!"
Sound Pieces was recorded at Paramount music studios.
Kankick: From Artz Unknown was recorded at Mums theWord’s studio.
He was always writing. Madlib & Kankick would generally play beats for him until they found one that fit the song he was working on. That was always the music selection process they went through. He never wrote while listening to beats on the spot. This bringing out focus in his word play.
"Antidote to the Anti Dope" It was funny how DeClaime accused him of smoking weed behind everyone’s back. He said that Gifts rhymes were "Too blunted" but the truth is he has never smoked herbs a day in my life. Gift used to step outside while they smoked & came back in after it aired out. This song was basically a dis to anyone who said they NEEDED TO GET FADED to write. There’s nothing wrong with marijuana, we all know it’s dirty politics that made it illegal. I just don’t believe in crutches.
Background note, yes the Lootpack named their only full length album "Soundpieces: The Antidote" After this song. Also using The Antidote hook with his permission.
"Verbal Experiments" Gift literally would draw battle plans of how they could attack an MC as if he were a fortified island. Then he wrote the intro. Madlib & Wildchild were supposed to say the intro with him but they didn’t practice enough to keep it in sync. This song was originally supposde to be on Gifts own album but since the Lootpack album was coming out they placed it on theirs.
"Attack of the Tupperware Puppets" With this song, Gift wanted to offend gangster rappers & their fans. He was ready to battle. He recalls, " Maybe I would be more famous (or dead) if someone actually wanted to beef with me. Although, truth be told I was never happy with how my verse & voice sounded. I said I would come better on Episodes."
"Episodes" I honestly forgot about these verses until they were linked on this website. I still was in battle MC mode.
"Adapt to Water" Kankick thought Gift was going to do the Adapt to Water song for the Artz Unknown album because he put that beat on for him but after he heard the Deleting Programs lyrics he said “Oh you did that. Here's this track that fits those lyrics better.”
By this time something an old friend Dj Bob One said had a big affect on him. Bob One said that “Everyone keeps talking about what’s wrong in hip hop but no one’s saying what’s good.” That comment made Gift want to be a more positive influence & not battle MC’s. He wanted to battle evolutionists, ideologies & my inner demons

1 person likes this

I always get the feeling that when brothers say, they ran from fame or the industry its a lot more they want to add and say as to why, but choose not to. I ran from the movie industry because 10 old Jew"ish" men tried to get me to come into a dark room with some weird red light with the sound of children echoing, I declined work with the company and ran far far away and never looked back, somedays I think of all the money I could have made but I think I made the best choice for my sanity and for my soul.

Geechie Dan

1 person likes this

PART 2

“Incisions came out after I already quit making music. When I quit I donated all my little underground stuff that I did, all the stuff that [was] unreleased, I donated it all to Kan Kick and told him anything you do … it’s all you, it’s all yours. I’m just happy that if it helps you build your own label, helps you build your own thing up, that’s enough for me.” ~ God's Gift

1 person likes this

PART 3 of 3

We talk about what it would take for Madlib and God's Gift project in 2016, his relationship w/ PBW, and forthcoming projects.

"We're more relevant than turnt-up deviants, asinine agents insulting our intelligence."

"I am definitely taking shots at today's thoughtless emcees"

https://soundcloud.com/a-hidden-interlude/part-4-really-part-3

1 person likes this

Great interview!

1 person likes this

Wanted to wait until after posting all 3 parts to get to some of your feedback. Please feel free to follow up w/ God's Gift directly here or via Twitter … he's pretty good –– not to mention brutally honest :D –– with responding to inquiries. FYI, my approach with this was conversational, not one of an interrogation. The conversation itself serves as an interview, in my humble opinion, more so than any battery of questions could –– my sincere hope is that you guys enjoy the end result.

I couldn't sleep last night knowing this was coming today.

That's amazing … hope you've enjoyed what you've listened to!

that tweet right up there says "july"

but july 1st isn't a wednesday

Yea … sorry about that. Harmless mistake but a lapse nonetheless. Have you had a chance to listen yet? If so, hope you've enjoyed.

I always get the feeling that when brothers say, they ran from fame or the industry its a lot more they want to add and say as to why, but choose not to.

Very interesting concept. I'm fascinated by it. In some ways I agree with you. Every creative has their own reasons for walking away from the things they walk away from. I admire the fortitude it takes to make that kind of decision. So many of us dedicate all of our energies to belong, compromising our souls (figuratively), in the process only to find out that ones intentions and the actual conclusion aren't consistent. Some people see it coming and turn the other way. Not saying this was GG's rationale, simply a general one that I've surmised.

Thanks for listening, bro!

Great interview!

Many, many thanks!

First part didn't really deliver an interview just yet, for now I kinda learned more by proceeding to his website with bio and track descriptions. Did he complete that solo album that's mentioned there? I do look forward the rest of the interview, God's Gift fascinated me instantly on The Antidote.

GG stood out on all Lootpack & Crate Diggas Sextet tracks … there's no question. I spoke about my initial experience listening to Soundpieces and hearing his voice on "Verbal Experiments" for the first time. I'd heard the song a million times but something about how he broke the song down in our interview made it that much more brilliant. Hope you enjoy parts 2 and 3.

1 person likes this