• Announcements

• ST Bot

STMB   01/22/2017

Sorry for the outage. The board went down for repairs on January 5th, and we didn't expect to be out for a full 16 days.  STMB is using a default skin, as you can see, and that will probably be the case for a few weeks.  Meanwhile, the board is working better than it ever has before.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trenchmc

Best Music to Read To

14 posts in this topic

Anyone got that relaxing, downtempo shit for when they gotta pack in the study hours over a nice (or not so nice) piece of literature? Right now I'm bumpin' FlyLo, before that, Four Tet.

thats a good question. i heard there were studies done that studying while listening to relaxing music helps you recall the info better later.

for some reason dj shadow comes to mind.

If I'm reading a novel or something for my own pleasure it's usually because I can't sleep, so no music there.

When reading shit for uni I'll usually be listening to some blues or some random instrumental hip hop (put together a big playlist the other day of loads of it in itunes, put it on shuffle).

I find jazz can either be really good or really bad when you're reading. Sometimes it can put you in the right frame of mind for it and then just sit in the background. Othertimes you'll end up listening to it and not paying any attention to the book you're holding.

Oddly I was listening to an old Prong record the other day. Didn't distract me at all.

yeah i find if i put some flylo on i can just zone out to it, im in a creative writing class so i just put that on the phones and the whole world tunes out

ambient - eno, GAS, tor lundvall, ethan rose, aphex twin (selected ambient works), boards of canada, fennesz

dub - king tubby, prince jammy, scientist, augustus pablo

all great reading / studying music

Mmm, I mostly like the ambient or mellow jazz type stuff for when I'm reading.

David Sylvian - Alchemy: An Index of Possibilities, Approaching Silence, Flux + Mutability, Plight and Premonition

Automaton - Jihad

Bill Laswell - Panthalassa (Miles Davis '69-'74)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain

John Coltrane - Giant Steps, My Favourite things etc.

...Othertimes you'll end up listening to it and not paying any attention to the book you're holding.

haha this always happens with me when i put on jazz. Or some real lyrical hip hop where i just end up getting distracted by the lyrics...

No Pussyfooting by Brian Eno and Robert Fripp

71 by Cluster

Stuff by Elaine Radigue

Fennesz, Gas, The Caretaker, Leyland Kirby, etc.

It's got to be ambient, Jazz is too cerebral for reading for me, it forces me to concentrate on the music.

I don't like stuff with lyrics when I'm studying/reading/working. So it has to be instrumentals - J Barnes is on to it, just make a massive iTunes playlist of all your instrumental stuff.

I can recommend Zo though - good downbeat chilled background music for sure. Or something like Pete Rock - Surviving Elements. Dj Cam Quartet - Rebirth Of Cool. Nomak - Calm. Selected Nujabes tracks. SugoiSounds. Dilla's beat tapes... there is lots of good stuff now that I think of it.