Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ferchinho

DJ RELS

28 posts in this topic

As with any Stones Throw thread, or MADLIB thread for that matter, I'm sure this topic has been covered.

But I'm a newbie, so I'll be stubborn anyway:

What do ya'll think of DJ RELS "Theme for a Broken Soul"?

I just picked it up and i think it's amazing. Sound so different from Madlib's other productions. It's so textured, layered and it seems like he actually put alot of time into programming the beats, arrangements, etc. ''Sao Paulo'' is soooo good.

Wonder if he'll ever follow up with another record? hmmm....

Found this cd at Poo Bah about a year ago. Love it.

Perfect for late night drives through the Los Angeles freeways.

Picked it up when it was released. Still one of my favorite Madlib albums.

I also used it a lot as a custom soundtrack for Street Fighter IV... Heh.

Haha Theme for a broken soul as your custom soundtrack for sf4, sounds great

It's definitely my fav. ST release, but i don't think they're gonna release another album...

@ Ferchinho, look for the DJ Rels promo mix, that one is really nice. It also has 2 bonus tracks that are not on the album

Its a fairly decent album, and I enjoy it, but I'm a proper Broken Beat head so i think compared to a lot of other work its nothing special. Still pretty good though.

Edit: Although I must say, Diggin In Brownswood is pretty brilliant.

I have just now realized how great this album is. I know it's cliche but this album was way ahead of it's time. I pray it will be a MMS but I very highly doubt it.

i think "the doo (do it)" is one of the dopest madlib tracks of all time. it makes me want that spectrum shit or a madlib house album REALLY bad.

i also just found a rare remix of brownsville by rels. it's called the YNQ remix. it was on the 2003 sampler.

1 person likes this

not available on lp jack-ass 12'' only

The great thing about living in this day and age is that you can go use your google machine to check your facts before you make an ass of yourself.

DJ Rels - Theme For A Broken Soul 2xLP

The great thing about living in this day and age is that you can go use your google machine to check your facts before you make an ass of yourself.

Note about vinyl: The vinyl LP for Theme for a Broken Soul was manufactured and distributed by the now-defunct Goya label, so vinyl is now out of print.

Untitled is the shit. Period

correction: This album is the shit. Period.

i had a dream that i met madlib and asked him about more DJ rels. his response was no but look for more "mezzanine theory". i don't know what that means and just to save the time i'll thank waldoH for his snide comment about this.

hmm, are you suggesting your dream also coincides with the cure for the cauliflower ears sprouting from my nut sack?.. I guess thats the Medicine Show i'l be on the lookout for... and you're welcome.

damn i missed out on the bonus tracks i have the mixes but can someone hook me up wit the bonus tracks?

well said. I too was fortunate enough to come up on the vinyl. I now own it on cd and vinyl. I used to have a promo copy of the album as well but gave it away when i got it on cd. such a good album.

thx guys...

i love this album...has there been any more DJ Rels material released? in the thread you guys have only talked about a couple bonus tracks and a remix of a YNQ track...so is that it, is that everything?

OHHH...yeah, i actually have the Secret Record Sets A+B-- i just realized that i jam out to that all the time, totally forgot it was even DJ Rels haha. but i still haven't heard those bonus tracks, i gotta check 'em out tonight.

[whisper]Spectrum 77[/whisper]

1 person likes this

Unearthing an old topic cuz DJ Rels has been the soundtrack to my life for the past 2+ months.

My question is, do yall think Madlib DJ Rels is using drum machines for this stuff? The reason I ask is that if you listen closely, most of the drum patterns subtly change as the song goes on. Certain things are constant, like the kicks, but a lot of the other percussion he's weaving in there is moving around. And Madlib DJ Rels is one of the few dudes out there crazy enough to actually play every note and have it come out sounding tight. It's got that scrappy sloppy-yet-precise rhythm that I associate with his work.

we need a new DJ RELS joint for MMS#27!!!!

1 person likes this

we need a new DJ RELS joint for MMS#27!!!!

yes man this would be super cool!!!!!! we needs this!