11 replies to this topic

#1 HoverPeople

HoverPeople

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:17 AM

hey, not sure if this has been mentioned around here or not but I got this book a whiles back: Behind the Beat

It was put together by an aussie guy called raph boogie. Basically he went around the world taking photos of all the best beatmakers studios. Inlcudes Dilla, Primo, Chief Xcel, Farma G just to name a few

Well worth checking out. I the kinda book I keep picking up every so often cause I love lookin at the photos.

#2 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,495 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:54 AM

pics are good the cd is pretty shit

#3 SertOne

SertOne

culturevulture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:09 AM

yea man got it a while back , pretty dope, love the dilla section and the primo section.

#4 juta

juta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:31 AM

its really dope when you're just chilling, ie. taking a crap.. good bathroom book ! the dilla, madlib, dj shadow and dj design sections are really dope.. al ot of other dope studios(even though i dont know half the people in the book) and yeah.. the cd is shit

#5 SertOne

SertOne

culturevulture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:15 AM

the cd is wack, but at least cold steel is on there.

#6 straight outta fremont

straight outta fremont

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:16 AM

its really dope when you're just chilling, ie. taking a crap.. good bathroom book ! the dilla, madlib, dj shadow and dj design sections are really dope.. al ot of other dope studios(even though i dont know half the people in the book) and yeah.. the cd is shit

yea, it's my shit book if i don't have computer arts or web designer magazine to read.

#7 HoverPeople

HoverPeople

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:23 PM

yeah cool, glad to see y'all know about it. agree that the CD is shit. funny thing is that Ransom who mixed it is usually bang on the money

#8 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:58 AM

madlib and dilla have the illest setups in there, yet they're completely opposite in appearance. madlib has crap everywhere and a million records, keyboards, percussion, etc. while dilla has like 2 crates visible and one synth. madlib has like 4 multitracks, where dilla just records right into his laptop. they both have the microkorgs and electribes though

#9 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,495 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:25 AM

madlib and dilla have the illest setups in there, yet they're completely opposite in appearance. madlib has crap everywhere and a million records, keyboards, percussion, etc. while dilla has like 2 crates visible and one synth. madlib has like 4 multitracks, where dilla just records right into his laptop. they both have the microkorgs and electribes though

that was just dilla's small set up from when he moved to l.a his studio in detroit is on that frank n' dank video crazy professional looking

#10 The Wig Master

The Wig Master

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:30 AM

yeah i saw that video on youtube.

it was cool in the book though how he was just going right into protools with no multi or board or anything

#11 Bill Collector

Bill Collector

Heel to the Balls

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:24 PM

Agreed with the rest, good book, bad CD,,

Can't find mine at the moment though, must've ended up in some box stored at my parents house when I moved :|

#12 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:16 PM

raph is the guy who shot the pictures of Dilla at his LA house making beats in the dining room, and pic of him and his daughter. he got Dilla during a brief time in 05 when he was looking in great health. great to compare madlib's disaster area studio with dilla's clean and order.
http://www.stonesthr.../behindthebeat/

he's working on vol. 2 now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users