104 replies to this topic

#61 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

This is the other issue, the militarization of the police force. 

And those fuckers are dumb.

10606334_912058625488428_753494332944154

@ Orchid, sounds like you are defending the actions taken, but with this I feel you are incorrect. (See pic)

#62 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

This is the other issue, the militarization of the police force. 

And those fuckers are dumb.

10606334_912058625488428_753494332944154

@ Orchid, sounds like you are defending the actions taken, but with this I feel you are incorrect. (See pic)

I am not defending or justifying any kills or actions because I don't know aht happened, I have said that multiple times.  I am saying that I'm not after a cop's head when I don't know what happened and wait for it... the cop might not even be a racist.  There are probably people in Ferguson that want no part of the riots and are probably terrified for their lives and their children's lives the last few weeks.  I bet they're glad that the police have been there with their unnecessary and toys, that I also agree they do not need and should not have.  My first post in this thread was something along the lines of:

They should NOT have all that ridiculously over-priced and over-specialized gear and they should spend that money on POV cameras for the police force to better track cops' actions.  It would help both police and the people.  The truth can't be twisted much when it's on camera.

#63 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

^ this stance occurs when someone feels that they are being unfairly lumped in with racists whose views they don't share. I get where you're coming from, because what you're saying deep down is that "why can't we all just get along and not worry about races", but unfortunately, racism does exist and is institutionalized particularly within the law enforcement communities of high crime and/or heavily minority neighborhoods. The anger is not just about this incident, it's about a pattern of disproportionately severe and aggressive police (and pseudo-police ie. Zimmerman) focus on minorities. You want to see some fucked up statistics look at incarceration stats.

You see black protesters and feel as though they're pointing a finger at you, but they aren't. It's not race war stuff, it's just the demand for equal treatment as humans. As has been said before in this thread, there are MANY white neighborhoods that this stuff would never occur in, and if protesters showed up it wouldn't suddenly become a paramilitary affair.

It's not about black vs. white, it's about racists being allowed a bizarre freedom from consequences, and the institutions that seem to help cover their asses rather than disowning them when appropriate.

Thank you.

I just can't with this post.

Mangos posted a video of a dude being shot to death at least 4 times and people still don't get it or understand.

Let's not forget me downplaying and being apart of the problem because I stated we have been dealing with this for years.

If you don't get it now, you'll never get it
  • SwampThing likes this

#64 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

I literally think I don't understand any of this treatment because of three things:

1. Never seen it first hand

2. I'm white

3. I live in Oregon

I'm sorry if I've said some ignorant things throughout this thread, I just don't understand what African-Americans are still going through. Can any African-Americans on here give me any first hand experiences they've had?   Wtf is still going on outside my little bubble?

#65 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

it sounds like we should all be so lucky to live in Portland, huh? heh.

Not to sound rude or condescending but I'd try reading some literature or keeping abreast of news on a national level. I assume you followed the Trayvon Martin murder and the national discussion that brought up? Maybe I take for granted living in NY and the amount of press coverage these things tend to get here...

Or hell, watch some movies, or... or... I dunno, the Boondocks I always thought had some very elegant and digestible things to say about the modern black experience. 

I'd just hate to think that:

If you don't get it now, you'll never get it

#66 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

I have not, and that's a good point.  I can also never understand how it feels to be oppressed and treated so poorly.  Is this a balance of power issue?  Like I said in a previous post, we do have an African-American president that we voted as a country into office.  

Do you think that if we stopped giving positions of power to the most qualified (we probably don't now, that's just what we hope for and say) and just gave them to the most qualified African-Americans that would fix everything?  I'm just not sure where you're coming from with this.  There are reports that Michael Ferguson literally was beating the cop, (Idk what happened, and we never will, I'm just saying) and I know for sure that beating a cop, of any race, in any country, is  not going to end well.

All of the cases that we actually hear about are with black victims because the African-American community is sensationalizing and rioting because of these cases and we never hear about it when the shoe is on the other foot.  Two days after Michael Ferguson's death, an African-American police officer in Salt Lake City, shot and killed an unarmed 20 year old white man.  Did the people in Utah riot? Did we even hear about it on national news or even online?

It's more of an inbalance of power issue. It's something that groups of people experience everyday and tensions build until you have a situation like what we have today (Its common in other parts of US/world history too). People just get fed up, man. Theres a growing mistrust in corporations/government by Americans today because of misconduct and abuse of power. Blacks arent the only ones to notice abuse. http://economyincris...ernment-growing

I'd question what do more qualified people look like and if there are any sort of bias when making that decison. http://jobbankusa.co...ing100803a.html

What does the official police report say against Micheal Brown explaining what caused the altercation (if there was one)? How long did it take to get that police report out?

Yes, we do have a black president today and he does stand as a symbol for many showing progress...BUT its impossible for one black man's election into office to erradicate racism in its entirety. I'd also be curious to see who was the majority of Obama's voters... More on that here: http://www.ropercent...d/voted_12.html

I dont suggest that any one group have more power than the other for status quo reasons, but I hope we as citizens diversify our offices, schools, thinking and police forces in the name of equality. Different view points/cultural experiences = a more complex and well rounded understanding of the real world around us.

We might not hear about issues like this "if the shoe was on the foot" because of what I mentioned earlier... (Remember the thing about white people and their history of oppression?) Could you provide a link that shows the case of the unarmed white man who was unjustly killed? Here is a youtube video on why white people dont actually riot or protest in times of their oppression...

I'd recommend doing some reading on the industrial prison complex to have a better understanding of "fairness" in todays justice system.

http://billmoyers.co...ceration-rates/

http://www.globalres...n-state/5329328

• Beatronome and Cheel like this

#67 Jackie Kennedy

Jackie Kennedy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Being a wife and mother.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

What was the the cop stopping him for? Was it unrelated to the robbery? Your post seemed like a list of justifications for the use of lethal force in a situation where it should not have been necessary.

i'm not aware of why the cop stopped michael brown but it could've been any number of reasons such as "seeing an individual acting suspiciously" considering he had just robbed a store.

also, according to 3 autopsies, michael brown had bruised knuckles and witnesses said they saw him hit the cop and even reaching for the cops gun (which is what lead to the use of lethal force). 

his friend, dorian johnson, changed his story numerous times: including where he said they had their hands up and michael brown said "don't shoot. i'm unarmed". various witnesses have confirmed never at any point did they see their hands up.

some people here have said michael brown was shot 12 times. wrong. 3 autopsies (1 by the corner, 1 by the federal government and 1 by a private physician for the michael brown family) show he was shot 6 times. one shot is to the top of head- which indicates, especially considering where the other shots hit, that he was lunging at the shooter. another person said  he was shot in the back. the autopsy shows all gunshot wounds are are the front. in fact, the only witness to claim this retracted the statement after the autopsy result was released.

the lawyers for michael brown's family have said officer wilson (the shooter) executed michael brown. since an execution is punishment i wonder what they consider michael brown was being punished for. his theft? if so, why didn't the officer also "execute" dorian johnson since he aided the theft? if due to his race, why was johnson spared considering he is also black and has criminal background (including a warrant for arrest). he makes for a more suitable target for execution.

finally, someone here accused me of "trolling". i don't know what that means but i assume it's not a kind adjective. i haven't called anyone any names and would appreciate the same courtesy. if you're in disagreement with a point i have made state it and point out where you see a problem, but do not reduce me to figures and remarks 

#68 Jubito

Jubito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:56 AM

"The end of the world I can see it coming, so I pack my 9mm's and I start hunting"

Every time I open my facebook news feed or read the newspapers I see nothing but more and more crime and injustice, and it's just getting worse every day. Nothing but racism, violence, discrimination, abuse of power, terrorism. At this pace we'll end up either self-destructing or in an asylum. Nothing touches me more than social injustice, I just can't stand that shit. And remember:
no_one_is_born_racist.jpg

Here in Croatia we have a lot of proud "patriots" who share a neo-nazi point of view, glorify the war and hate people of different races/ethnicity just because somewhere in history they held a grudge against us (or did not at all). Goddamn ignorant people. Not to mention they are very selective with their approach to history and facts and are short-tempered with anyone who shares a different point of view. The media subtly fuels us with more and more animosity each day. This shit has to stop. America was built on violence and I sincerely hope that all the people who are creating this false image of it being a democratic, proud country, the land of the "free" (L O L), while doing the exact opposite end up having the worst death imaginable. Talk about living in a "modern world". As Albert Einstein said: "Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts." That's one of the biggest problems of our society: it's easier for us to accept something we have been told than actually trying to keep our brains wrinkled and observe the facts from an objective point of view. I swear getting strapped will soon be a must for everyone, things are just getting crazier.

"And tell me who protects me from you??"

#69 Beatronome

Beatronome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:20 AM

some people here have said michael brown was shot 12 times. wrong. 3 autopsies (1 by the corner, 1 by the federal government and 1 by a private physician for the michael brown family) show he was shot 6 times. one shot is to the top of head- which indicates, especially considering where the other shots hit, that he was lunging at the shooter. another person said  he was shot in the back. the autopsy shows all gunshot wounds are are the front. in fact, the only witness to claim this retracted the statement after the autopsy result was released.

You can't draw any conclusions on this, the one on the top of the head could also mean he bended double due to the impact of the previous shots. The people performing the autopsies thought the two shots to the head were the final ones.
Also, the shot in his arm could already have been fired while he faced his back to the officer due to various positions an arm could be in so you can't draw any conclusions on that either, there were witnesses for this too.

There were no gunpowder traces on Brown so he never got close to Wilson. Wilson missed a couple shots too so either he didn't keep his cool under pressure or he just snapped and fired like a mad man. Either way, it was a major fuck up on his part, but he won't be trialed for this because of legal use of deadly force; whether the use of deadly force by an officer is legal or not, is determined by the officer on the spot and NOT in hindsight. Nothing will happen to Wilson, whether the shooting of Michael Brown was the consequence of racial prejudice or not. Unless they can prove he indeed shot Brown in the back, which they can't.

#70 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

If you read up on the autopsy reports, it appears that Brown indeed have his hands raised as to surrender. This action I presume was taken prior to being shot in the eye.

#71 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

had no idea we had so many doctors and forensic experts on STMB

#72 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

I'm not even about to get into this with you. It's not even worth me bubbling up a response to you.

I want to go in but then that would be "typical" of a black women so instead I will take the high road.

peace

I knew absolutely nothing of you before responding to you initially, much less anything about your profile.  My response was inspired by this direct quote from your post: "What you want us to say? This not our first rodeo and probably won't be the last."  It's possible that I may have misunderstood you.  I encourage you to share your thoughts; dialog is healthy.  

#73 Jackie Kennedy

Jackie Kennedy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:37 PM

You can't draw any conclusions on this, the one on the top of the head could also mean he bended double due to the impact of the previous shots. The people performing the autopsies thought the two shots to the head were the final ones.
Also, the shot in his arm could already have been fired while he faced his back to the officer due to various positions an arm could be in so you can't draw any conclusions on that either, there were witnesses for this too.

There were no gunpowder traces on Brown so he never got close to Wilson. Wilson missed a couple shots too so either he didn't keep his cool under pressure or he just snapped and fired like a mad man. Either way, it was a major fuck up on his part, but he won't be trialed for this because of legal use of deadly force; whether the use of deadly force by an officer is legal or not, is determined by the officer on the spot and NOT in hindsight. Nothing will happen to Wilson, whether the shooting of Michael Brown was the consequence of racial prejudice or not. Unless they can prove he indeed shot Brown in the back, which they can't.

no. the medical examiner concluded that the shot to the top of the head was because he was lunging (as though he was trying to tackle someone) forward. she also added that they still needed more tests to make a final conclusion but this was the most logical because the body would have fallen in a different position if it was the first shot. 

next: you said the cop "fired like a mad man". here is the procedure for a police officer is in that state:

Robert Yamin, who was forced to retire on disability from the Baltimore City Police Department after being shot by an assailant with his own weapon, said that police officers must do whatever they can to ensure their safety once they get into an altercation and the assailant doesn't let up.

"It appears without having any real knowledge, just based on theory, that the officer was justified. The amount of bullets fired, you shoot whatever you need to stop the incident," Yamin said. "Until he stops coming at you. You keep shooting."

next: look at the below picture. please explain how you think such a gunshot wound can occur when someone "has their back to the officer because of various positions an arm could be in" because this is close to a join, his breast and armpit. how can you twist those?

so with this information one is more likely to conclude one (or 2) shots were mistakes whilst michael brown was wrestling with the officer (who was still in the car). he ran off and was persued (according to witness account) at which point either 1 more shot was fired, or he turned around to challenge the officer who then shot him until  he was down.

the shot to the top of the head is most likely the last shot because the other shots are only fatale unless they hit vital organs or left unattended for some time.

OEeAkYV.jpg

If you read up on the autopsy reports, it appears that Brown indeed have his hands raised as to surrender. This action I presume was taken prior to being shot in the eye.

how can you tell someone had their hands up from performing an autopsy? also, according to eyewitnesses (including droian johnson who retracted his statement), they didn't have their hands up.

CiZD3hm.png

#74 Beatronome

Beatronome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:29 AM

Medical examiners did not, in any way, conclude the shot to the top of the head was because he was bum rushing Wilson.

And yeah, you're picture doesn't show the lowest wound...

#75 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:59 AM

It's possible that I may have misunderstood you.  I encourage you to share your thoughts; dialog is healthy.  [/font][/color]

I'm trying to figure out how you gathered that I was being part of the problem? When you just said you knew nothing about me before that post.

Some insight:

My dad and uncles were sprayed with fire hoses and my uncle was attacked during the 64 riots for protesting
My aunt was almost pulled out her car on her way home from work until they saw my baby cousin sleeping in the car and someone came to her aide during the 92 riots
The sheriff tried to walk up in my cousins house with a gun drawn on us (women) and no warrant because my cousin walked into the house when they turned the corner. They claimed he looked suspicious, he was 15.
My own brother was pulled over on his way home from college. Asked to search his car, cuffed him, asked him why he was in the neighborhood ( he lived there, on his valid I.D), who's car he was in ( he had a sports car) and let him go.

I can go on.......

Mike Brown could have been my brother

So again, what would you like me to say on this incident? This not our first rodeo

I'm done

#76 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:45 AM

I'm trying to figure out how you gathered that I was being part of the problem? When you just said you knew nothing about me before that post.

First and foremost, I lament the discrimination you and your family have experienced throughout your lives.  

When I went as far as to say you were a part of the problem I was referring to how apathetic some of your words seemed - - again I may have misunderstood - - at this point it seems as though I did.  When you said, "What you want us to say? This not our first rodeo and probably won't be the last," I gathered you were suggesting mere dialog regarding the case is/ would be inconsequential b/c of how normal and frequent the threat has been throughout American history.  

Moving forward, if I misconstrued your thoughts and/ or if you found my comment to be unfair and damaging, I apologize.  That's not what I'm on this board for.  

#77 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

@Jackie O, 

According the prosecution lawyer's, experts, they suggest that because of the injuries to his arms, the way the bullets entered, but you can look for yourself.

Autopsy_diagram.jpg?1408370350

On his right arm there are 4 wounds. All on the inside of his arm.

For bullets to enter from that position, his inner arm must have been exposed the barrel of the gun. 

So, how does one expose the inner of the arm? By raising and opening your arm out. A surrender position. 

Prosecution rests your hounor.

#78 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

Here's the thing, police are trained to do a job like everyone else, and trained to handle a large variety of situations with particular protocol, including how to avoid firing their piece and subduing subjects with minimal collateral damage. You wouldn't want your chef or bartender cutting corners on their job, with your meal or cocktail or whatever. It should piss everyone off if the police cut corners, because when that happens, it's not a shitty tasting burger or weak beverage, it's a dead kid lying in the streets.

• mangoes cash and Dirty Cyclist like this

#79 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

Cops, in general are dicks, as a culture,they are over aggressive, power abusers.

Think of it, they all got guns, can fuck you up, but you can do nothing to them. The system gives them carte Blanche to do whatever the fuck they want.

Now, stick them in a crime ridden neighbourhood. A nieghbourhood where the inhabitants don't look like them and you have case not too far off of how soldiers, in occupying lands, I'm looking at you America in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam... (I am sure this is a universal phenomena) but the soldiers begin to see the citizens as enemies, and more importantly, less than human.

As is clear in this video, the police abuse their power. This is not a race thing, its a cultural thing (tho race amplifies it in the Brown case)

#80 Jackie Kennedy

Jackie Kennedy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Medical examiners did not, in any way, conclude the shot to the top of the head was because he was bum rushing Wilson.

And yeah, you're picture doesn't show the lowest wound...

"Ross said it's possible Brown was surrendering, but he might have been bent over for other reasons, too: he might have been crouching to dodge bullets or he might have been slumped over because he was weak from his wounds, or he might have been making an attempt to rush at Wilson with his head down."

the last statement supports what eye witnesses saw

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/21/health/michael-brown-autopsies/

http://www.wjla.com/...as-shot-10.html

what is the "lowest wound" you're talking about? these are the only wounds to the body:

140822_MEDEX_brown-autopsy-guide.jpg.CRO

mangoes cash: EVERY witness has said they never saw michael brown with his hands up. dorian johnson retracted his statement and said they never had their hands up, after michael brady "said he did not see Brown with his hands raised, but he also said he missed a few seconds of the action when we went to get his cellphone to record what was happening. When Brady ran out to the street, he saw Brown doubled over from gunshot wounds, staggering toward Wilson" 

​this is consistent with michael brown "bum rushing the officer" and thus getting a gunshot wound to the top of the head. also remember, michael brown was 6"4

another eyewitness account:

A woman who would only give her first name described Wilson's version of events to a local radio station this week, claiming Brown not only attacked Wilson first but rushed him headlong after the initial shot was fired.

A law enforcement source has told CNN the woman's account matches the description Wilson has given to investigators.

In the interview, Josie said Brown and Johnson were walking in the middle of the street when Wilson asked them to move to the sidewalk.

After a brief argument, Wilson received a call about the convenience store robbery and noticed Brown matched the description of the suspect and was carrying a box of cigars in his hand, Josie said.

Wilson pulled alongside the two men again, according to Josie, who said Brown then pounced on the officer.

“Michael just bum-rushes him, just shoves him back into his car, punches him in the face," she said.

The two men struggled for Wilson's service weapon, which went off once inside the car, she said.

Brown and Johnson fled, she said, and after another verbal exchange at a distance of about 35 feet, Brown charged at Wilson.

"All of a sudden he just started to bum-rush him; he started to run at him full speed,” she said in the interview. “He just kept coming; it was unbelievable.”

Wilson then opened fire a second time, she said, killing Brown.

#81 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

This ladies account seems to be the only one to suggest the Brown charged Wilson.

Here is what is confirmed. There was a scuffle with brown leaning into the car window. He was either pushing Wilson, or being pulled.

He broke free and ran.

Wilson got out and started firing.

Most witnesses testify that Brown turned to surrender, arms up, (as I had said) but was shot multiple times.

The alternate version, that claims Brown turned and charged Wilson, are rediculous.

What makes more sense? A man, facing a gun surrenders? Or charges?

Let's say he charged. Then still, his gun shot wounds to the arm are inconsistent. The bullets would be on top of the arm, not underneath as they are.

#82 Jackie Kennedy

Jackie Kennedy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Most witnesses testify that Brown turned to surrender, arms up, (as I had said) but was shot multiple times.

The alternate version, that claims Brown turned and charged Wilson, are rediculous.

What makes more sense? A man, facing a gun surrenders? Or charges?

Let's say he charged. Then still, his gun shot wounds to the arm are inconsistent. The bullets would be on top of the arm, not underneath as they are.

i'm not sure if you have a problem reading, but witness accounts say brown was charging at wilson. also, this medical examiner was the first one to examine the body and offer an account that dismissed dorian johnson's account. later, he retracted his statement and admitted they never had their hands up. 

also, the bullet wounds to the inside of his arm resulted BEFORE he charged. when he was rushing at the officer, he was bent over from his injuries, which is how wilson managed to shot him to the head.

you also said "cops, in general are dicks, as a culture,they are over aggressive, power abusers"

in this case, it would appear michael brown was actually the one who was "over aggressive" and "in general.. a dick" as there is video evidence of him stealing and pushing a store clerk, as well as his behavior after the robbery when wilson tried to stop them

#83 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

i'm not sure if you have a problem reading, but witness accounts say brown was charging at wilson. also, this medical examiner was the first one to examine the body and offer an account that dismissed dorian johnson's account. later, he retracted his statement and admitted they never had their hands up. 

also, the bullet wounds to the inside of his arm resulted BEFORE he charged. when he was rushing at the officer, he was bent over from his injuries, which is how wilson managed to shot him to the head.

you also said "cops, in general are dicks, as a culture,they are over aggressive, power abusers"
in this case, it would appear michael brown was actually the one who was "over aggressive" and "in general.. a dick" as there is video evidence of him stealing and pushing a store clerk, as well as his behavior after the robbery when wilson tried to stop them

[color=#282828][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

Umm. Ok, Jackie O, or are you Spooky, who knows, anyways troll...

According to reports, key witnesses have differing stories.
Read here.
http://www.latimes.c...0821-story.html

So, there four key witnesses.
One, of them holds your theory, that you seem to be pressing, that Brown charged Wilson AFTER the initial struggle. This witness, Josie, claims that Brown and his associate fled, but after a verbal argument, Brown CHARGED Wilson. Keep in mind here, at this point, two other witnesses claim Wilson had been firing gun shots at Brown as he fled.

So, lady's and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you....

Do you think Brown, now separated by about 25 feet from a man who is shooting at him, as he flees, would STOP. TURN 180 DEGREES and then charge the gun man???! Keep in mind that they are separated by some distance. If Brown was not complelty insane he would know this would be suicide.

Do you think he was suicidal?

I doubht it.

#84 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:17 AM

Hey orchid, good for recognizing your relative unawareness on the subject... but don't get it confused, just because you're part of the visible majority in your region does not mean racism is not around you.  That can be a dangerous assumption.  It's also definitely not the responsibility of any member of any minority to explain it to you.  Maybe someone is willing to help you understand/relate or whatever... maybe? ... at the end of the day it's all on you, i.e., it's on all of us. Just read up, question things.  You practically don't have to leave your house these days to start understanding other points of view if you are open to it.  Otherwise, you're good intentions and honesty doesn't really matter, doesn't help, and can even create divides if you're not careful.

I'm from a similar region and I see a lot of good meaning people say/do a lot of ignorant things.  And then always this: "I've lived here my whole life and I have never seen any racism" - says Mr/Mrs White ... wow, couldn't be cause you're white?! 

And as far as the debate over the details of the event... it's all besides the point, simply because it doesn't matter as far the much larger issue is concerned.  Even if Mike Brown was in the complete wrong leading up to the shooting, the point is there's a much larger systemic problem at play.  And if it wasn't specifically racism then it was at least excessive force (as most seem to agree), but both are factors - if not specifically then contextually.  I don't think there's any room to argue that.  Colorblindness just highlights it.

The details do matter as far as justice is concerned for him and his family.  But the case is just one of way too many and is opening up a larger discussion.  Therefore, people need to back off the fine details of what Mike Brown did or did not do if they want to participate in the broader discussion.

It plays out everywhere.  If you can't see it.  Look harder.  When you do, act accordingly.  And then maybe one day it will actually be hard for everyone to see.  But definitely not today.  

• ynqhead, Beatronome and Berry Woods like this

#85 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

I'm beginning to understand quite a bit more now.  While I'm not so sure that this particluar case is a racial issue or injustice due to lack of clear details and contradictory reports, it is obviously clear that when some (not all or even close to half) cops are going out of their way to not protect, but instead to instigate, it is almost always against African-Americans.  Another example in the same town which makes me much more upset then what I've heard from the Michael Brown case so far:

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000592

Another detail about Michael Brown's case that is clear, is that at least 6 shots hit Michael Brown, when literally one body shot would take down almost anyone, or at least injure them to the point of very quickly running out of energy.  If he was already hit with 4+ bullets in the body and/or arm, NO WAY was the cop in danger and NO WAY did Michael Brown need one in the skull, regardless of his behavior before or during the incident.  IF Michael Brown had been attacking or assaulting the cop in any way, I bet he stopped damn quickly after being shot with bullet number one.

#86 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

Jackie/Spooky please stop! The wool is off our eyes on this.......

1. the owner on tape of the convenient store is stating he doesn't even think that it was Brown

2. If it's a robbery; why weren't police called to the scene? This video is clearly an attempt to make Wilson's actions seem justified

http://countercurren...eillance-video/

Also:

Darren Wilson as a rookie along with the rest of the Ferguson police were fired because of racial neighborhood tension and they rebuild the department adding 53 black officers

http://www.washingto...4390_story.html

• Dirty Cyclist likes this

#87 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

First and foremost, I lament the discrimination you and your family have experienced throughout your lives.  

When I went as far as to say you were a part of the problem I was referring to how apathetic some of your words seemed - - again I may have misunderstood - - at this point it seems as though I did.  When you said, "What you want us to say? This not our first rodeo and probably won't be the last," I gathered you were suggesting mere dialog regarding the case is/ would be inconsequential b/c of how normal and frequent the threat has been throughout American history.  

Moving forward, if I misconstrued your thoughts and/ or if you found my comment to be unfair and damaging, I apologize.  That's not what I'm on this board for.  

We'll that's big of you, I respect that.

This issue in general has been discussed for years over and over. 

As a person who has witnessed it first hand and has gotten mad,angry and every other emotion you can have.

I get to the point were I'm tired of talking about..I'm like the protesters of Ferguson ready for change.

Then I wonder will I be saying the same thing to my kids 10 years from now; like my parents said to me. 

• Dirty Cyclist likes this

#88 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

...so i'm assuming we're all not gonna discuss the media's role in handling sensitive topics like this?

they took a bad situation and placed a glaring spotlight on it for the world to see, making it soooo much worse than it already was; mayhem creates buzz, and ratings = good for them because they're fucking exploitative vultures.

i've heard so many variations on "what happened" that i can't even determine which one is the truth-- and that culpability is squarely placed on the news, for jumping the gun like they always do and reporting ad nauseum before the fucking police investigation was even started or the first of the three separate autopsies were finished.  now we have millions of people in the country arguing about who did what and why they did it when in reality, we've all been making our decisions based on several, wildly-differing narratives being pushed forward that may not even be true.  i just hate seeing people's concerted efforts to make their voices heard legitimately being completely drowned out by mobs of other people traveling to Ferguson just to hock a new stereo and stir shit up in the public eye for the world to see...

*** just a little footnote, this is weirdly my 1,984th post ***

• Beatronome likes this

#89 Beatronome

Beatronome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

...so i'm assuming we're all not gonna discuss the media's role in handling sensitive topics like this?

they took a bad situation and placed a glaring spotlight on it for the world to see, making it soooo much worse than it already was; mayhem creates buzz, and ratings = good for them because they're fucking exploitative vultures.

I agree, it gives the mainstream media an opportunity to appeal to their audience, an audience that rather gets confirmation about what they think they know than anything (that's always fun, makes you believe you're smart, I like this news channel). And I'm not talking just about Fox here, every news station is colouring the blancs. It's just another hot topic for them. And; not talking about it will decrease viewer ratings because viewers will shift to the competition for news on this case. Once the buzz started, they had to hop on the band wagon.
Of course, they will all pull the plug on this once it becomes a public debate about racism, there's no news value in that. Viewers like confirmation, a debate implies hearing the other side of the story. They'll just mock each other. Right wingers will focus on the riots and liberals won't do shit but whine because actually changing legislation to curb the police will just piss off some interest group that they need to sponsor their campaigns.

All things undertaken by politicians up to now is just to get some steam off the kettle. Another autopsy? That's window dressing, they don't care.

• James Frank. likes this

#90 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

https://vine.co/v/MQZ3xl2OE3U 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users