Photo

So Is Battle Rapping Turning Commercial Now?

they done lost they mind.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

Some call it exercise, others call it a waste of time.  I used to call it a good damn thing to watch (and participate in before I became a music producing beast).  Now I'm seeing way too many wanna-be battle rappers spitting written shit on pay-per-view (i.e. Smack).  Seems like these labels are trying to take yet another piece of our culture and commercialize it to a point that it's not even worth paying attention to.  Who's next up to compete in the "babble-rapping" arena?  Thoughts?

#2 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Baby (YMCMB) vs Plies

#3 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

Don't really pay attention to battle raps. Not sure why there aren't more fights. I mean dudes are hyped, insulting each other surrounded by testosterone chanting muhFucks.

I use to rap in ciphers, got into one battle rap, had a hard time getting into it. I was just like, "I am going to hit this guy". So, it was never my thing. It is pretty big tho. I guess the same reason wrestling, boxing and MMA we huge.

#4 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

There was a pretty funny fight between some diz guy and some other math hoffa guy recently... I personally think it's whack. It used to be kind of ill before pre-writtens became a prerequisite but now I honestly have no time for it. If I want to hear dope pre writtens I'll just open iTunes...

#5 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

i got my ass handed to me the one time i decided to let myself get roped into a rap battle back in high school.  all this hype was surrounding me because everyone kept saying i was really good, so i buckled under the pressure and lack of prep and just took the beating from one of the "cool kids" i was up against...i sorta wish i had evidence of it, it would make a great addition to the "Cringe-Worthy" thread haha, you guys would bow your heads in shame and exile me from the boards.

especially for losing to a guy who literally was using the same old, tired 3-syllable flow.  i got my assssssssss beat with such lines as:

i am here

you are not

what the fuck

smoke some pot

you're a fag

eat that bag

dog go woof

through the roof

• SunnyMeadowz, mangoes cash and EdTheYounger like this

#6 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

I used to battle a lot in my younger years... I actually won a pretty big battle in Melbourne when I was 16. Then I realised I was spending so much time writing battle raps that I could only use once and wasn't spending anytime doing the music I actually cared about. It's almost a sub culture nowadays... There's lots of people who are considered "big" but only within the battle landscape, seems most of their recorded materiel is usually uninspired and not worth the time. It's a general evolution I guess. Battle rapping is almost like training wheels for some artists (eyedea, brother ali, sage francis etc etc)...

That's definitely how I saw it anyway, kinda felt I outgrew it (in the most humblest way possible).

#7 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

Not sure what "commercial" means anymore but to answer your question, yes, absolutely 

#8 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

Seems like these labels are trying to take yet another piece of our culture and commercialize it to a point that it's not even worth paying attention to.  

BINGO

#9 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Freestyle rapping too.... I remember that one dude supernatural....I saw him at rock the bells in mountain view in like 07. He was dope.... Up until he started this whack freestyle about how Seagate is the best memory or some shit. Whole crowd turned on him on a dime booing and yelling

#10 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

Battle rapping was the central activity in a big budget hit film released by Universal 12 years ago.  That's just one little example to say that battle rapping is not your private little thing.  No disrespect tho.   

Whenever a sub-culture gets a little attention it doesn't have to be a cause for decline – it just means that more people will be exposed to it.  Have your shit together and act accordingly.  

#11 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

I used to battle a lot in my younger years... I actually won a pretty big battle in Melbourne when I was 16. Then I realised I was spending so much time writing battle raps that I could only use once and wasn't spending anytime doing the music I actually cared about. It's almost a sub culture nowadays... There's lots of people who are considered "big" but only within the battle landscape, seems most of their recorded materiel is usually uninspired and not worth the time. It's a general evolution I guess. Battle rapping is almost like training wheels for some artists (eyedea, brother ali, sage francis etc etc)...

That's definitely how I saw it anyway, kinda felt I outgrew it (in the most humblest way possible).

^^^This.  When I was younger I was focused on freestyling, ciphers and freestyle battles, but the art suffered.  (now everybody writes their shit... cats used to get bumrushed if they didn't go off the top of the head.  SMH)  Anyway...  DJ and Beatbattles went this way too.  There are a ton of producers that make crazy shit, but get booted at a beatbattle because they don't want beats that would translate well as a song, they want beats with a LOT of change ups etc.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users