Mf Doom

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Noodle Fingers

Noodle Fingers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/noodlefingers/gringo-lingo-feat-bernard-willis-blake/s-x541D

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

I think MF DOOM is over rated for sure, but he's still my favorite hip-hop artist. I think some people may like him for the wrong reasons. Like "Madvillainy is so good, I <3 DOOM" but they haven't even listened to his other stuff. I just personally like him because what he says hits home with me, and I love the way he sounds, both on the mic and behind the boards.

#32 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:29 AM

It was a joke really ... Top 1? But there are benchmarks of excellence and there are not many rhymers who have that street smart dumb intellectual humorous socio-geo-political thug gentleman player nerd villain from the future past, combined with a mastery of language, mic technique and timing.

Yeah true I was half way typing and yours popped up just before I pressed send, but yeah theres not many, an oversaturation of people, but true theres not many.

#33 Jubito

Jubito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

MF DOOM definitely deserves a place in my Mount Rushmore of Rappers. Some rappers got delivery, some got diverse lyrical abilites, some got stylistic devices, some got flow, but very few have all of the aforementioned combined. DOOM is definitely one of those few who got it. My all-time favorite rapper, though, was, is and will always be Redman because of his incredible ability to create analogies, comparisons and witty rhymes through street slang and popular culture references, and even though it may seem that his vocabulary relies solely on those, it ain't always like that, and if you paid close attention to all of his lyrics throughout the years, you'll know what I'm talkin' about.

Lately, though, I've been on a hard Three 6 Mafia tip (& affiliates, Triple Six era mostly), and what hasn't ceased to amaze me are their lyrical capabilities and delivery (yes I know this may sound funny as hell now but I'm about to break it down). Try reading one of Lord Infamous', Koopsta Knicca's, or any of the (past) members' verses out loud on rapgenius (or whatever page you prefer) and then try to spit their bars and mimic their flow - it's almost impossible without having the song play in the background. Their vocabulary is pretty limited, but the figures of speech and stylistic devices they use are what make their rhymes unique, not to mention the southern delivery and flow they are known for (Lord Infamous and Koopsta Knicca mostly, I'm talking about all the rappin' in triplets). Also, Gangsta Boo is definitely one of the most underrated female MCs in the game - she can spit harder than most male rappers. What I was trying to say is that people sometimes mistakenly connote 'shallow' vocabularies with poor raps. It ain't always like that you know.

#34 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

MC's I like better than Doom...

Jay Electronica
Dres
Q Tip
Jay Z
Captain Murphy
(Collective) Beastie Boys
Chuck D
Mos Def
Fat Lip

I agree with crazy new name guy, killing niggas. Doom is dope, but not the GOAT. For me, he's got a nice flow, great, husky voice but lyrically he just doesn't keep my attention.

That is all.
PEACE!

Your list should go:  Chuck D-Dres-Mos Def.

Magic 8 ball: You have a hard on for QTip and white chicks with wide hips. 

#35 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Look everybody makes some great points, but let's face facts here. No one listed can touch DOOM.

I love old redman, love old q-tip, but I can't honestly say either stacks up to a side-by-side comparison. Not to say that those dudes aren't giants, but one thing nobody's talked about yet is consistency. DOOM is more consistently brilliant than any MC i'm aware of. Mos Def, redman, dres for god's sake, all these dudes have their great tracks, and their shit tracks. But DOOM... he's only on two levels, great and amazing.

People go on and on about VV2 being his worst album, but honestly even on his "worst" album, theres a bunch of bangers. Ode To Road Rage will destroy most competitors. His other albums are indisputable. Even if you aren't a fan of the JJ DOOM beats, you must admit he is as on point as ever.

Not only that, but I think he's surpassed many of the old greats in terms of sheer influence on the landscape of modern hip hop. like every 15 year old rapper calls out DOOM as his favorite ('cept OP)

But i'd beg him on the regular for kegs of more vomitspit so i'm probably biased...

we're in danger of being trolled despite the disclaimer. Has anyone checked out OP's beats and stuff? pretty sure that's why he drummed up controversy here without much contribution

• MWBOOGIE likes this

#36 bottleowater

bottleowater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

FUCK THE HATE 
DOOM4PREZ

• SwampThing likes this

#37 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

I think MF DOOM is over rated for sure, but he's still my favorite hip-hop artist.

#38 MaddMannMatt

MaddMannMatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

This troll has some big shoes to fill.  

You're doing a great job so far, keep it up.

• James Frank. and MWBOOGIE like this

#39 The Jackal

The Jackal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/thejackal2011

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

Wow, seeing a lot of love for Redman on here. Have only listened to Whut? Thee Album, and a little bit of Muddy Waters and haven't listened to either of those in a really long time. What album should I check out for his best lyrics? Or should I just revisit those two?

Also, what Dres albums should I check out? 

#40 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

redman and dres, i'll admit are not quite my personal rap gods, but I'd check out Dare Iz a Darkside if you haven't and of course Blackout! with method man is a classic. His EPMD features too. Though I can't say he touches MF lyrically.

Dres, to me, is sorta irrelevant outside of Wolf in Sheep's Clothing. unfortunately, because he's awesome on that one.

• The Jackal likes this

#41 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

^ Dare Iz A Darkside is one of the best complete hip hop records. You have to listen to it from front to back without skipping a track though. From the beats to the lyrics that's how a rap record should sound.
  • CertafiedBluntHead, SwampThing, The Jackal and 1 other like this

#42 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

If anything, this thread has got me back into Operation Doomsday and his other projects...Even got me to listen to Jonwayne for the first time.

#43 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

It also provided me with an opportunity to gain respect for a great number of forum posters.  

#44 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

People go on and on about VV2 being his worst album, but honestly even on his "worst" album, theres a bunch of bangers. Ode To Road Rage will destroy most competitors.

The only problem with VV2 is that it's too short

Everything that's on there is fantastic. The beats are insane.

No big deal, niggas say they real, but ain't got heart to bust shots at a pigmobile

I agree that the villain is either great or amazing. The only track I didn't really like is the collab with RZA, even then maybe it was ok, but I only listened once. And I love RZA, beats and rhymes both

#45 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

The only track I didn't really like is the collab with RZA

haha okay well NOT including his one-off grab the money and run stuff. I remember the letdown of that track. To quote the villain:

I sell them bummers a scrap verse that's so-so nice, you get what you pays for raps for the low-low price.

#46 Jubito

Jubito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:58 AM

Wow, seeing a lot of love for Redman on here. Have only listened to Whut? Thee Album, and a little bit of Muddy Waters and haven't listened to either of those in a really long time. What album should I check out for his best lyrics? Or should I just revisit those two?

Also, what Dres albums should I check out? 

Redman: Dare Iz A Darkside, Doc's Da Name 2000 and Muddy Waters front to back. You won't regret it. Getting into Malpractice, Red Gone Wild might be a little harder if you're a boom bap fan. Every one of his albums is great from my point of view, even though it takes a lot of time to analyze his tracks, the points and references he makes. Once you're there you'll be enjoying every Redman track.

Seen him & Method Man the other day at a festival. The energy and atmosphere they create at their shows are amazing, nothing comparable to what I've experienced before.

• The Jackal likes this

#47 The Jackal

The Jackal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Hip Hop and Film
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/thejackal2011

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

Thanks guys, I'll be checking those albums out!

#48 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

It was a joke really ... Top 1? But there are benchmarks of excellence and there are not many rhymers who have that street smart dumb intellectual humorous socio-geo-political thug gentleman player nerd villain from the future past, combined with a mastery of language, mic technique and timing.

True.

#49 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Dres shits on MCs

#50 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:56 AM

Subjective statements are subjective...

I prefer slower rhymes, it forces the mc to focus on wordplay, flow and content rather than just going hella quick over a beat with some irrelevant ish. Just my opinion.

If anything, by industry standards... Doom is underrated.

Well said.  DOOM's prestige as a rapper/ emcee is analogous to what Dilla was/ is as a producer: he's your favorite rapper's favorite rapper.  So many well respected and accomplished rappers (of both the pop and underground worlds like Lupe Fiasco and Mos Def) to engineers and audiophiles like Jay Z's personal engineer, Young Guru praise DOOM.  It hardly matters what a legion of impressionable consumers such as ourselves have to say regarding matters such as these, but when the peers of the artists in question salute them as they do, I feel as though we should pay attention.   

#51 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

I never really thought about this line much before (from MV)

'the rocket scientist with the pocket wine list'

hahah so good

#52 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

some even say he might need some puss---sychiatrist

#53 Puff_ADD€R

Puff_ADD€R

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

DOOM is definitely not overrated.. I can understand people not really getting what he's all about and whatnot but DOOM is without a doubt one of the most prolific artists in hip hop, a living legend.

#54 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/hungrym4n

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

DOOM is definitely one of the most brillant MC's of our time. The shit that always got me about him, is how he flips back and forth from rhyming in 1st to 3rd person. In fact, he probably raps more in 3rd person than 1st.

"Caught a deal on a sawed-off bought off of super sales,

And a hood chick just to ward off the groupie males.

Most will boast that his flows are coastal,

I hope he get on the mic and don't go postal.

Or keep it blissful, It's wishful thinking,

Piss-full of drinkin, fist full of lincoln's,

Pistol full of lead with one in the head,

With a fan base that spreads from the unborn to undead."

Do y'all relate to the shit Doom says?

"Don't let the drama get ya, in the only genre of music where the fans shoot the messenger."

"Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck, and still keep your attitude on self-destruct."

"Rappers suck, when they spit I doubt them, the crap they sing about, make you wanna slap the fuckin shit out 'em."

Shit, I thought everyone could relate to "One Beer", lol.

Also, I feel his slow rhyme style is a little derivative of EPMD.

Who ever said all his shit was slow?

• Puff_ADD€R likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mf Doom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users