• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Ayo. So i fucked up today, I plugged my iPhone into a mic input at work today and realized it was running phantom power...so now that it's been unplugged and i've gone home, i've noticed that the headphones are off now-- it sounds like my headphones are broken, like one side is louder than the other and whenever something is plugged into it it makes like the same sequence of pops and hissing noises...so that leads me to believe that there is a 48V electrical charge just running amok on my iPhone now.

i've looked up ways to fix it, but all i've found is message boards and how-to's where people say "UHHH DERRRR IZZZ BADDD 2 DUUU DATTTTTTT"

so i'm hoping that these boards can drop a little knowledge on me and tell me if i need to do something to fix it, call my phone service provider, call Apple, ship it somewhere or just say fuck it and get a new one (i got insurance on it)... ? lemme know.

#2 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

1. throw icrap in garbage
2. buy android

in all seriousness though are you still under warranty? if not then it's gonna be hella expensive to fix. if so though just hit up apple support
EDIT: o shit didn't see you got insurance. just get a new one bruh. but i hate apple so i would say get an htc
  • GC90 likes this

#3 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Do not buy Android. Kill your mother before buying Android over Apple. And, yah, you may have fucked your shit bro! Unless you are confident to go in there, and resauder shit, your shit is fucked!
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#4 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

yeah, so i called Cricket (my phone co.) and spoke to a young mexican chick that had no clue what the hell i was talking about. so then i called Apple and had another young woman that had no idea what i was talking about transfer me to their technicians, to a guy that kinda knew what i was talking about.

basically, DON'T EVER DO THIS because it's a real fucking problem for your iPhone/iPod which isn't meant to absorb that much voltage, and the worst thing is that it's such an out of the ordinary problem that they don't even know what to say lol.

so the guy put me on hold to talk to his peers/bosses, and came back to me with what amounted to a verbal shrugging of his shoulders and scratching his head like a retard. after saying they didn't know how to fix it, he told me that i could either have my iPhone shipped to them to fix over the course of 5-7 business days or have the shipping box shipped to my house that i would use to ship to them to fix over the course of 5-7 business days.......yeah, it got confusing as shit.

the guy also explained that i could schedule an appointment with the nearest Apple store (thankfully there's one right down the street from me) and go in to have them look at it-- and if they have the same model in stock, they'll just replace it right then and there because i just bought the phone like 4 months ago, so it's under like at least 2 warranties.

tl;dr moral of the story: don't ever plug an Apple device into an audio mixer via XLR→1/8" when said mixer is running Phantom Power because it will irreversibly fuck up your headphone jack. and no one will know what to even do about it because apparently i'm the first person this has ever happened to.

Do not buy Android. Kill your mother before buying Android over Apple. And, yah, you may have fucked your shit bro! Unless you are confident to go in there, and resauder shit, your shit is fucked!

^ on an unrelated note, my man magoes just passed the 2400 mark. someone get this muh'fucka some ice cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image
  • mangoes cash and Cheel like this

#5 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

Bustin caps in yo ass since '11

#6 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

I'm so loyal to a... phone company? Apple vs. Android? who gives a shit, both are awesome... I'm liking my Android and Amazon MP3 has been treating me right. I got Coltrane's Blue Train on CD for $6.99 and the MP3s came free. Hard to beat that...

#7 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

the only fix would be to replace the logic board. it's not that expensive, and it's pretty easy to do. i've done it quite a few times myself

#8 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

HTC one king of phones right now. Hating on android is foolish! Apple users be like "oooo so sexy" for five seconds then their shit breaks. Plus apple keeps force feeding the same shitty hardware with nondescript "upgrades" every year. Don't get me started on IOS

#9 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

I'm with Grifty on this Fuck apple !! your shit breaks their attitude is " So!!, buy another one !", hate the whole it only works with apple if it is apple, the way I see it is, I hear so many complaints about apple, but people still give there cash over, Samsung S3 and the S4 no complaints, unless your a clumsy fuck that keeps dropping you phone. One thing I can tell you is the audio on phones is worse now on the more recent phones, something called snapdragon or something, a lot of high end headphones won't work ,but the shitter impendence ones do.
  • Tastik BEATS likes this

#10 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:38 AM

the only fix would be to replace the logic board. it's not that expensive, and it's pretty easy to do. i've done it quite a few times myself

That is my gripe with Android.

I have tons of Apple products, they all run super intuitively, and smooth. At the same time, my current phone plan is via Android for financial reasons at the moment(an Android was free and an iPhone was like three bills,..... I know, that has to change). Anyhow, my issue with Android is that the logic of the UI is terrible. Things are here and thee, it's not obvious, or sexy.

It's the Sony Xperia which has a speaker which kills any Apple speaker, but yah, due to the exceedingly more intelligent design of the Apple, over any Android I have used, I would go with Apple. They seem to have far better standards, and quality control.

#11 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

should have mentioned i was under warranty...actually, i think i did. so yeah, i just now got back from the Apple Store, i was there for ten minutes max cause most of the mall is still closed right now. the guy immediately knew what i was talking about, and replaced it right there for me, no questions asked-- so that was a major boost in my opinion of Apple, i have no complaints to them whatsoever.

hopefully my experience will lead to them putting at least some mentioning in the manual to NOT EVER DO THIS, but since its such a niche way to break your phone i doubt it'll ever be legitimately listed. i think that was a big contributor to them not even asking about the incident to try and see who's fault it was, they just knew it was something weird on their end. so long story short, the epic tale of James and the Broken iPhone 5 with Spooky Phantom Power is pretty much resolved in less than two days, thanks to the good guys at Apple.
  • mangoes cash likes this

#12 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Apple > Android

Which is weird tho seeing as Android is Google, one of the more intelligent companies out there.

#13 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

Android is great if you are on a Nexus device, love my Nexus 5 way more than iPhone 5 I started my contract on.
Stock Android KitKat> iOS
  • Tastik BEATS likes this

#14 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

HTC one. King of phones right now. No better handset available. Check one out if you want to see a real smart phone. Speakers off the hizzy too

#15 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:19 PM

Apple > Android

Which is weird tho seeing as Android is Google, one of the more intelligent companies out there.

you can change the way android works to make it easier for you to understand plus if you a buy a phone of similar power as an iphone you will spend half the price and get more features

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users