43 replies to this topic

#1 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

With the upsurge of tape releases and seeing videos of record collectors getting into tape collecting it leaves me asking this question. I'm not really into tapes other than a recording medium to achieve a lo-fi sound, all though I copped a couple while digging just because of all the isn I've been hearing about 'em. I also been thinking about putting some music out on cassette because it seems like a cheap way to release music in a physical form. But I would like to see what you cats think. Are you into it?

#2 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:39 AM

Tape rules, digital low-end sounds nothing like it, it's taken all these years for realization that we should never of gotten rid of tape, hence why there are so many tape emulators out there now. I don't know if it is cheaper as it's a bit of a limited field, trying to get hold of tapes, maybe find someone that can get a bulk amount would be the cheapest way of doing it.
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#3 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

I don't know if it is cheaper as it's a bit of a limited field, trying to get hold of tapes, maybe find someone that can get a bulk amount would be the cheapest way of doing it.

I was talking about compared to vinyl and going through a manufacture. But good points though.
  • GC90 likes this

#4 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:09 AM

They are a great inexpensive medium; just remember most cats these days can hardly play a cd let alone a goddamn cassette. I've been tape digging since I started crate digging because I've always had a shitty enough car to actually bump these tapes.
  • Machiventa and James Frank. like this

#5 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:02 AM

Tape rules, digital low-end sounds nothing like it, it's taken all these years for realization that we should never of gotten rid of tape, hence why there are so many tape emulators out there now. I don't know if it is cheaper as it's a bit of a limited field, trying to get hold of tapes, maybe find someone that can get a bulk amount would be the cheapest way of doing it.

I also prefer to listen to analogue media. There is quite a difference though between the high end professional multi track tape machines that the plug-ins are based on, and cassettes. Cassettes seem great, and novel now that they are a choice, but when you had much or all of your music on cassette, they were a pain in the ass; snapping, twisting, unravelling, wearing out etc. The recent trend for cassette releases is very niche imo, maybe not a fad, but minority interest. I'm not sure if would be cheaper to have a run of cassettes done by a duplication firm, like with any hard media, it would depend what numbers you were doing, packaging etc.

#6 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

They are a great inexpensive medium; just remember most cats these days can hardly play a cd let alone a goddamn cassette. I've been tape digging since I started crate digging because I've always had a shitty enough car to actually bump these tapes.

^^^Same here. I bump tapes in my ride and let the end to end burners pump. So fresh. And honestly I put "Dub Styles" out on tape as a promo type joint, but was honestly shocked when people went crazy for it. I thought people would almost laugh at it, but people get it.
  • GC90 likes this

#7 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

The first album I really got into was on cassette and I found it a couple months back and decided that I would bump it in the ride. After one lesson the tape snapped and that defiantly put a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to cassettes.

As far as releasing stuff on cassette I would most likely just do a run of 500 just for kicks and to have something physical for people to cop.

Anyway, is there anywhere online where I can buy hip-hop cassettes?

#8 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

The first album I really got into was on cassette and I found it a couple months back and decided that I would bump it in the ride. After one lesson the tape snapped and that defiantly put a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to cassettes.

As far as releasing stuff on cassette I would most likely just do a run of 500 just for kicks and to have something physical for people to cop.

Anyway, is there anywhere online where I can buy hip-hop cassettes?

Holmes PM Ras dude he may well know after the tape thing he's done.

#9 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

I used to have a ride that had both. My mixtapes banged. But, you could not find that blank shit anywhere. Fuck tapes.

#10 miss stress

miss stress

Cool Table shareholder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

i think like vinyl if you didnt grow up in a cassette era it could be considered nostalgic/ vintage which could be considered a fad. but like vinyl, people who group up in the tape era it brings back memories. i still got my tape collection and i can prolly tell u countless stories revealing my age about tapes.

Ode to the days or literally making your own mixtape from taping off other stuff

there was a cat that posted on here along time ago with an insane tape collection like ridiculous...its in an old post im just too lazy to find it
  • Machiventa, E.Powers and Heavy Drama like this

#11 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

I remember making my first mixtape on cassette. I took a Hooked on Phonics cassette and stuffed some paper in the little hole on the bottom, and dubbed some of my favorite songs off the radio. That is one my better memories of cassettes. After going through a process liked that, I felt I really made something, it's a very different feeling than just burning a CD off of iTunes.

#12 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

i sometimes bounce my beats from VCR and back

#13 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:43 PM

YES.

they're cool now because they have a nostalgic quality to them, but functionality-wise they fucking suck haha, there's a reason why we updated our technology from the late '70s-early '90s.

i was starting on my next project recording beats to tape, but i always recorded takes directly onto my DAW as a back-up just in case...and sure enough, i was going back through the tape i've been recording new material over and realized that the tape warped or something and completely jackknifed the dynamics of every single beat on there. if i hadn't saved those onto digital formats every single one of those beats would've been gone for good...that's why tapes are just a fad.

that doesn't mean people aren't gonna buy them, there's a market for them just like vinyl. but vinyl doesn't wear out as quickly, and too few releases are actually good enough to listen to the entire way through so it's just making your music less accessible. it's like refusing to cut your steak with a knife because you like your sharp, pointy rock much better.

#14 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

Always preferred my mixtapes--but that was just me.

#15 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

^ yeah, until the weak plastic cartridge snaps and your player eats half of the damn thing.
i like the idea of analog and devoting yourself more to listening to music by having to pay attention and adjust all the knobs just right, but...eh. it's really just being nit-picky about your listening preferences; iPods are great, there's no reason to not use one if you truly want portability with your music. portable tape players are like the size of bricks and automatically pitch tapes up higher than they're supposed to sound, plus the shitty hiss in the background is louder than any of the actual instruments...i just prefer to not use tapes very much.

#16 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

everyone has their preference. I would try to make my shit bang as much as possible...I agree its not for everyone.
But to me in my head at least, the mixes sounded like they had more fluidity.

#17 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

Since I don't have ADHD I actually really enjoy the fact that I'm pretty much forced to listen to a whole album when I put a tape in the deck. That's one reason I absolutely freaking HATE iPods, the fact that most people play maybe 50 seconds of a song before getting distracted and picking a whole other song from an entirely different album by a different artist from a completely different genre of music.
  • GC90 likes this

#18 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Since I don't have ADHD I actually really enjoy the fact that I'm pretty much forced to listen to a whole album when I put a tape in the deck.

I have OCD and I think iPods are great but I use mine more like you use your tapes. On January 1st, I begin listening to every song from every album I own and never skip a second. Once I'm done listening to everything I have on my iPod on January 1st, I create a playlist of all digital music I have purchased since January 1st. So essentially, every year I listen to all digital music and/or CDs I've ripped to my computer at least one time. When I'm done, I listen to whatever I'm feeling and I often create playlists of the music I've had and underappreciated. At home though mp3's are a no go, my iPod is for work where I sit in a cube for 40 hours a week and my 40 minutes I spend on a train to and from work everyday. I would be too lazy to bust out the 15 tapes I want to listen to everyday and carry them with me. An iPod is nothing more than a tape player with hundreds or thousands of tapes if you treat it as such.

#19 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

^ Most definitely feeling you there! I recently started using my phone to listen to audiobooks and Dan Carlin podcasts while I'm at work making donuts, so I don't blame you for bumping some tunes while you make that cheddar. I pretty much stopped downloading mp3s two years ago and I never was one for the iPod. I'm the cat with THOUSANDS of burned CDs in his collection from the 8 years of illegally downloading/burning albums.

#20 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

I have OCD and I think iPods are great but I use mine more like you use your tapes. On January 1st, I begin listening to every song from every album I own and never skip a second. Once I'm done listening to everything I have on my iPod on January 1st, I create a playlist of all digital music I have purchased since January 1st. So essentially, every year I listen to all digital music and/or CDs I've ripped to my computer at least one time. When I'm done, I listen to whatever I'm feeling and I often create playlists of the music I've had and underappreciated. At home though mp3's are a no go, my iPod is for work where I sit in a cube for 40 hours a week and my 40 minutes I spend on a train to and from work everyday. I would be too lazy to bust out the 15 tapes I want to listen to everyday and carry them with me. An iPod is nothing more than a tape player with hundreds or thousands of tapes if you treat it as such.

Thats what I was thinking. I used to be crazy at ease with the tape deck...the OCD was on point.

#21 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

I'm the cat with THOUSANDS of burned CDs in his collection from the 8 years of illegally downloading/burning albums.

I always burn everything that I download legally/illegally and keep my physical CD's that i buy new or used. I keep them in a giant book I call the bible.

#22 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

Since I don't have ADHD I actually really enjoy the fact that I'm pretty much forced to listen to a whole album when I put a tape in the deck. That's one reason I absolutely freaking HATE iPods, the fact that most people play maybe 50 seconds of a song before getting distracted and picking a whole other song from an entirely different album by a different artist from a completely different genre of music.

haha, yeah i feel you on that point. but you can have an iPod and still consciously decide to listen to albums the whole way through; i usually do, all you gotta do is turn 'shuffle' off. i'm all about that portability, and i don't usually have a CD player or tape player handy--hence the tiny little doo-dad i can just sync over wi-fi and slide in my pocket for whenever.

#23 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

CDs are at the bottom of the totem when it comes musical formats for me, I just don't like 'em, but I gotta have 'em for my truck.

#24 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

I'm probably going to drop a couple releases on tape in the near future. (with DL cards)

#25 BreadAndBuds

BreadAndBuds

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

I'd say any musical format has value. I'd cop a-traks if I had a player.

#26 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

I'd say any musical format has value. I'd cop a-traks if I had a player.

you mean 8-tracks? haha...
but idk about that, i think everyone likes the nostalgia of the certain mediums they grew up with because it takes them back to being a kid or something. everyone on here seems to gloss over all the bad things about tapes--if they were that great, we'd still be using them. but there's so many issues you have to deal with, from them wearing out to the tape getting bent or demagnetized or warped to the tape head getting worn out or damaged or dusty to the overabundance of hiss to the gating of pretty much any low or high end, i think it's a lot more trouble than it's worth to listen to tapes when i can just buy the vinyl or google it.

that doesn't mean i'm not collecting tapes though, lol...in fact, i just made a beat yesterday sampling a tape. but a good 95% of my meager tape collection is shit that i just dug through to sample eventually. the only tapes i've ever bought for pleasure were the JW cassettes, Raw Fruit Vol. 1, Things that happen in the day/night by Milo, and Tide Songs by D33J...and those were all because they weren't released on any other physical formats. i dig the old-school sound of tapes, and i also dig the romanticized version of the days of tape collecting and recording mixes and all that...but i do that knowing that the medium is kinda shitty, and nowadays there are much better ones i can be thankful for having.

#27 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

I wonder if 00's babies are gonna grow up and be like, 'Man, I love the nostalgia of the iPod 1! Fuck that touch screen shit.'
  • D'MosPhree and James Frank. like this

#28 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

i only listen to shellacs, betamax cassettes and reel-to-reels.
stay tuned for my next album, i'm releasing only 24 copies of it on floppy disks...

#29 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

that doesn't mean i'm not collecting tapes though, lol...in fact, i just made a beat yesterday sampling a tape. but a good 95% of my meager tape collection is shit that i just dug through to sample eventually.

That is what brought back to tapes, I found a couple of old cassettes at my ma house and thought it would be cool to sample them.

#30 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, podcasts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

Cheaper than vinyl and cooler than CD's. When I put my album on tape up for sale they sold out pretty quick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users