• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Reebok Jones

Reebok Jones

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

I bought a vinyl for Donuts at Rough Trade NYC yesterday. Got home today really excited to hear it and when I put it in I realized that it was playing pretty slow, and the pitch was down because of that. This has happened with my record player before where the speed/pitch goes slow every once in a while but I had just fixed it recently so it shouldn't have happened so soon. I was too lazy so I didn't really bother to go through the whole process of changing the speed and just kept the record playing. I realized though when I flipped the record to side B, it was a little hard to get the hole in the middle of the vinyl to fit into the little peg. I realized that that's why it's playing so slow - the hole is so small that it's causing friction while rotating and is just going slower. I tried speeding up the RPM like crazy to maybe increase the size of the hole but that only worked a little bit.

I was wondering if anyone else who had Donuts on vinyl had this problem? This isn't the first problem I've had with the manufacturing of Stones throw vinyls, because I have the Madvillainy instrumentals vinyl too and when I got it I saw they tried to fit the two records of the instrumentals in one sleeve , which doesn't really fit well at all, and it ended up damaging the sleeve a little bit from trying to fit both record in one sleeve.

#2 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

I can't say I have that problem. I was trying to think back to my Special Herbs record...I think that one was just pressed in a shitty way.

I once had a Black Sheep record that sucked dick. I was so fucking pissed-my sessions at the club suffered greatly because of it. Next time that happens I am dialing up Geech.

#3 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

better to have the hole too tight than all loose and worn, then it tends to play off center and depending on the music and the severity of the spindle wear can make the music sound warped, just use something to spin around inside the hole and scrape at the sides, i use my 45 adapter to do it with 45s that are too tight all the time, do a little at a time and keep tryin to put it on til it goes on nice

and 2 records in one sleeve is nothing new or uncommon, not ideal, but those came in blank black sleeves anyway, use a loose one from a record you have that you don't care about to house the second disc if you want to, or buy one from a local shop for like 50 cents or so, i have the instrumentals too and they have kept fine in the single sleeve they came in

#4 Reebok Jones

Reebok Jones

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

I just let it sit for a couple of hours, just put the needle on again and it's fine. Thanks guys!

#5 WaldoH

WaldoH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

DIY Fix: Hold a semi-sharp knife up vertically and put the record on top and spin it like the Harlem globe trotters spin a b-ball, check if it fits, if not repeat.

#6 Reebok Jones

Reebok Jones

Rookie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

DIY Fix: Hold a semi-sharp knife up vertically and put the record on top and spin it like the Harlem globe trotters spin a b-ball, check if it fits, if not repeat.

even if it works i dont trust myself with a record in one hand and a knife in the other. clumsiness would find a way

#7 MattCoops

MattCoops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mattcoopshiphop

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

I just let it sit for a couple of hours, just put the needle on again and it's fine. Thanks guys!

Just had to let it cool down a bit. Shit is too hot the way it is.
  • GC90, MWBOOGIE and Reebok Jones like this

#8 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Workinonit...

#9 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

I thought I was the only person that did this!
  • GC90 likes this

#10 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

is this a even a subject? roll some sandpaper up stick it in the hole twizzle it (not too much) and BAM done! if you fuck it up smash it up and buy a new one

G talk
  • DJ Projexion and HUNGRYMAN like this

#11 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:18 AM

Word, I take a q-tip dip it in glue and then shards of broken glass Tong Po style!

Works 60% of the time, every time.

#12 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/hungrym4n

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

better to have the hole too tight than all loose and worn

My old man once gave me the same advice back in the mid-90's over a can of Schlitz, but I don't think he wasn't talking about records.
  • DJ Projexion and Chason like this

#13 durty finga

durty finga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

I was too lazy so I didn't really bother to go through the whole process of changing the speed and just kept the record playing. I realized though when I flipped the record to side B, it was a little hard to get the hole in the middle of the vinyl to fit into the little peg. I realized that that's why it's playing so slow - the hole is so small that it's causing friction while rotating and is just going slower.

This should never be the case as the spindle ("little peg") should spin with the platter. Most new records should fit very snug on the spindle! You must own a poor build turntable if the spindle is stationary against a rotating platter. Just think about it for a minute...

#14 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:25 AM

My old man once gave me the same advice back in the mid-90's over a can of Schlitz, but I don't think he wasn't talking about records.

Ha ha ha!!! :lol:

#15 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

What ever happened to that J-Dilla themed doughnut shoppe??? :huh:

#16 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official