• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

good luck to him, i guess...the hypebeast he sailed upon like seven years ago has long since past, and his shit's not really impressing me that much anymore. i think he might prove to be a one-trick pony, and not this God of Rap that everyone was praising him to be back in '09.

#32 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

In other words, the best thing he can do for hip-hop is release nothing.

lol ^this is how i feel about kanye. an embarrassment.

this Jay Electronica chap seems okayish to me but nothing special. and that new track is utter crap (imo)

that said, i can't really see/hear what's so great about kendrick lamar either. maybe it's just me but most rappers these days not really doin it. I suppose i'm just old & sour.

#33 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:In one word: Música

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

i can't really see/hear what's so great about kendrick lamar either. maybe it's just me but most rappers these days not really doin it.

The media dictates perception. Although Kendrick is a highly skilled writer and performer, his ascent is due in large part to having the media and major label backing on his side: he was signed to Interscope long before Good Kid, M.A.A.D City. Nonetheless, his ability to create commercially viable songs that don't compromise depth is second to none. I think more than anything that's what separates him from both his contemporaries and many of his predecessors.
  • GC90 likes this

#34 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

lol ^this is how i feel about kanye. an embarrassment.

this Jay Electronica chap seems okayish to me but nothing special. and that new track is utter crap (imo)

that said, i can't really see/hear what's so great about kendrick lamar either. maybe it's just me but most rappers these days not really doin it. I suppose i'm just old & sour.

#35 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

The media dictates perception. Although Kendrick is a highly skilled writer and performer, his ascent is due in large part to having the media and major label backing on his side: he was signed to Interscope long before Good Kid, M.A.A.D City. Nonetheless, his ability to create commercially viable songs that don't compromise depth is second to none. I think more than anything that's what separates him from both his contemporaries and many of his predecessors.

Plus he got that preacher voice. The same kind of power in his voice as Tupac or Scarface. It's the kind of voice alone that makes you want to listen.

#36 Jimmyfunkvalve

Jimmyfunkvalve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

wordy stuff. you should be a journalist.
better still you should write blurb for record companies.
that's not a diss, it's a talent & somebody has to do it.

I still don't rate him though, but I don't hate him, I just don't really see what the fuss is about. He's ok, no more.
i think 'meh' is the appropriate word.
I respond to music on a gut-feeling level and while yes, his stuff seems 'deep' and his lyrics 'complex', that doesn't make his music any good.

like you say, he's commercially viable without sacrificing depth. like thick-sliced white bread.

It's too 'pop' for me. shit, i'd rather listen to k-dot than one (d)erection or just in beaver but i'd prefer not to listen to any of it.

oh, and all this 'control' controversy is hilarious, so what, one wackass rapper called out a bunch of other wackass rappers?
must have been a slow news week.

he may be better than his contemporaries (but that's not much of a recommendation).
as for his predecessors, well I guess that depends who you're talking about.
Probably a whole other bunch of rappers that i don't like either.

a n y w a y...
apologies for rambling, hope i didn't offend anyone, it's been a long day, i'm tired n stoned and I spent all day today strimming (translation into US: brushcutting) with Piñata, Beatnuts, Pete Rock and some '93 vintage Wu in my headphones so i suppose my hip-hop bar is set too high.
  • OfficeTime8889 and Shadeprint like this

#37 Shadeprint

Shadeprint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/shadeprint

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

He's ok, no more.
i think 'meh' is the appropriate word.

We live in a world surrounded by yes men, more than happy to preach to us about how "ground breaking" and "fantastic" some average artist is, almost entirely based off their buzz. The whole Kendrick hype was just tiring, really tiring, that album had no effect on me, all it showed me is how unskilled the emcee has become, the kids think this guy is some sort of messiah, all it shows is how much they've missed out on.

#38 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

We live in a world surrounded by yes men, more than happy to preach to us about how "ground breaking" and "fantastic" some average artist is, almost entirely based off their buzz. The whole Kendrick hype was just tiring, really tiring, that album had no effect on me, all it showed me is how unskilled the emcee has become, the kids think this guy is some sort of messiah, all it shows is how much they've missed out on.

you didn't like Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City?

#39 Shadeprint

Shadeprint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://www.soundcloud.com/shadeprint

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:53 AM

you didn't like Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City?

Found it very average, liked one song, but the production annoyed me after several plays.

#40 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,497 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

Found it very average, liked one song, but the production annoyed me after several plays.

yeah same, ive played it loads of times and the only thing i can remember him saying is "ya bish" -_-

#41 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

damn...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users