Damn this is sick!!

#2 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:19 AM

Listened to this three times, an experiment gone wrong.

#3 mores

mores

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Soundcloud:/moresmusic

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:46 AM

This exists. Lord Quas.
  • OfficeTime8889 likes this

#4 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

smh at whack cats with no originality whatsoever.
  • Fake Krills likes this

#5 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

this was okay...
a little too lord quasi tho i feel yall!

but was madlib the first person to speed his voice up over a track?

did j-zone, or edan do it first?

#6 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

The unoriginality of the high pitch voice thing isn't the problem, the problem is Mac Miller's voice. It doesn't sound good high pitched, not to mention it does not fit the dark beats. Mixtape would have been better without the high pitch voice.

#7 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

yeah i had to turn it off and dont ever plan on listening again!

#8 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

i feel like Mac Miller embodies the hipster persona, i.e. a rapper with mediocre skills who is casually aware of real talented artists. his whole aura is that of a very un-genuine guy that desperately wants to cling to his authenticity as an underground rapper as he simultaneously sells out more and more-- from that whack, whack, whack project he had where he was trying to be experimental and sing over jazz he composed himself, to the failed attempt at being "out-there" on that track with Earl ("Guild" is the one i'm thinking of), to that song he had on that album where he willingly brought in Jay Electronica to slaughter him on his own track...

and now he can stroke his hipster beard among his other phony friends in his circle by saying he's going in "a different direction" this mixtape by pitch-shifting his voice and rapping on psychedelic beats, when in reality he's just biting the shit out of one very well-known and well-respected artist in less mainstream circles. the audacity of him to actually do this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that he clearly is not one of us, and is instead looking to exploit the idols we look up to in an effort to pass off the novelty of the idea as his own, so stupid people will look at him as the genius instead of dudes like Steven and Otis. same thing happened earlier this year with Yeezus totally ripping off Death Grips' style and watering it down to pure horse-shit, even though right now everyone's looking at Kanye as the genius behind introducing industrial elements and minimal electronics into his hip-hop.

sorry for the rant, but i just can't stand dudes who fake their originality by copying someone else and passing it off as their own. and Mac Miller is all about that--his breakthrough single was a straight up bite of Lord Finesse for fuck's sake.
  • Mr Teeth and GC90 like this

#9 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

i feel like Mac Miller embodies the hipster persona, i.e. a rapper with mediocre skills who is casually aware of real talented artists. his whole aura is that of a very un-genuine guy that desperately wants to cling to his authenticity as an underground rapper as he simultaneously sells out more and more-- from that whack, whack, whack project he had where he was trying to be experimental and sing over jazz he composed himself, to the failed attempt at being "out-there" on that track with Earl ("Guild" is the one i'm thinking of), to that song he had on that album where he willingly brought in Jay Electronica to slaughter him on his own track...

and now he can stroke his hipster beard among his other phony friends in his circle by saying he's going in "a different direction" this mixtape by pitch-shifting his voice and rapping on psychedelic beats, when in reality he's just biting the shit out of one very well-known and well-respected artist in less mainstream circles. the audacity of him to actually do this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that he clearly is not one of us, and is instead looking to exploit the idols we look up to in an effort to pass off the novelty of the idea as his own, so stupid people will look at him as the genius instead of dudes like Steven and Otis. same thing happened earlier this year with Yeezus totally ripping off Death Grips' style and watering it down to pure horse-shit, even though right now everyone's looking at Kanye as the genius behind introducing industrial elements and minimal electronics into his hip-hop.

sorry for the rant, but i just can't stand dudes who fake their originality by copying someone else and passing it off as their own. and Mac Miller is all about that--his breakthrough single was a straight up bite of Lord Finesse for fuck's sake.

I kind of agree even though I've liked some of his latest releases.

#10 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

he's got an alright single on the radio right now, but overall.....eh.

#11 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

and is instead looking to exploit the idols we look up to in an effort to pass off the novelty of the idea as his own, so stupid people will look at him as the genius instead of dudes like Steven and Otis. same thing happened earlier this year with Yeezus totally ripping off Death Grips' style and watering it down to pure horse-shit, even though right now everyone's looking at Kanye as the genius behind introducing industrial elements and minimal electronics into his hip-hop.

This is the most annoying thing to me
  • Jurmainson likes this

#12 Fake Krills

Fake Krills

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

i agree with a lot of what JF said, but Yeezus is much better than Death Grips lets be real. I see what you're saying but Death Grips is pretty much garbage. I've came to the conclusion that anyone who claims they enjoy Death Grips is just lying to say they enjoy Death Grips.

#13 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

+1 a few tracks here and there bang but c'mon people ain't nobody having a beautiful day in the park and shit birds splashing in the bird bath tweeting and shit kids on their bike riding by and they got death grips on the ear buds. cmon son that music makes you feel horrible like ghosts haunting your grandma in the afterlife and shit. maybe its just me

#14 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:11 AM

i agree with a lot of what JF said, but Yeezus is much better than Death Grips lets be real. I see what you're saying but Death Grips is pretty much garbage. I've came to the conclusion that anyone who claims they enjoy Death Grips is just lying to say they enjoy Death Grips.

Dunno, I think The Money Store is a lot better than anything on Yeezus.
  • James Frank. likes this

#15 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

Jesus I saw this thread and thought it was just some no mark herb off the interwebz with a wack knock off Quas effort. So this is a serious release by Mac Miller? What a cunt. Pitiful lames.

#16 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

music is always subjective, and a matter of taste. with that said, i really, really fucks with the DG haha. did you give them a fair, unbiased chance? The Money Store was one of the best (and my personal favorite) album of last year...and NO LOVE DEEP WEB came in my top 10 as well. i agree that they're very polarising, but i think its an acquired taste and once you step back and realize all the shit they're doing in each track, it's a lot easier to appreciate. i'd recommend just looking up the TMS instrumentals, and banging those out a few times to ease into it if you aren't down with the screaming vocals. anyway, i don't want to get off topic-- so i'll end with, "Mac Miller is a douche" lol.

#17 Fake Krills

Fake Krills

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

music is always subjective, and a matter of taste. with that said, i really, really fucks with the DG haha. did you give them a fair, unbiased chance? The Money Store was one of the best (and my personal favorite) album of last year...and NO LOVE DEEP WEB came in my top 10 as well. i agree that they're very polarising, but i think its an acquired taste and once you step back and realize all the shit they're doing in each track, it's a lot easier to appreciate. i'd recommend just looking up the TMS instrumentals, and banging those out a few times to ease into it if you aren't down with the screaming vocals. anyway, i don't want to get off topic-- so i'll end with, "Mac Miller is a douche" lol.

yeah music is definitely subjective, and i'll admit i haven't given them an unbiased listen, but based on your previous opinions i've seen around this site i'll actually check it out
the video for guillotine is still one of the funniest videos i've ever seen in my life tbh

#18 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

yeah music is definitely subjective, and i'll admit i haven't given them an unbiased listen, but based on your previous opinions i've seen around this site i'll actually check it out
the video for guillotine is still one of the funniest videos i've ever seen in my life tbh

hahaha, yeah that video is pretty fucking weird. i'm not denying their weirdness...i just embrace it, cause hip-hop is all about individuality and doing your own thing-- and in those terms, these dudes are the most progressive hip-hop group to come out and break all the conventions in a long time. and on the technical side, all three are coming from a genuine place, and are really skilled musicians. if you dig the left field shit, then i imagine you'll eventually catch on to them.

#19 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

Well said, man; I agree.

#20 Mr Teeth

Mr Teeth

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

He's trying to be edgy. ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users