12 replies to this topic

#1 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

Anyone seen this? Pretty cool documentary about the hidden meanings behind The Shining. The theories range from compelling to bonkers, but all in all some interesting findings.

For fans of the movie and/or Kubrick, its a must see:

• James Frank. likes this

#2 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

I wish out of all the Kubrick stuff, the unreleased scenes from Eye's Wide Shut would see the light of day, but considering the context, it never will, always found it was strange that he died just before it was released, and was meant to be the one that filmed the moon landing, all the anomalies in that were on purpose so it could be spotted it was fake, gonna have to watch this though.

#3 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

I dont believe much about some that stuff. I think that the conspiracies add a lot more to a very good movie, mostly. And as ODK mentions Eyes Wide Shut lends itself well to similar discussions. I took to Kubrick because I recognize a lot of parallels with him (for better or worse) in the creative process. He was a most insular being and seemed to very much dislike the world-at-large. I have to think that some of the motifs exist but not to the point where we are to believe what those documentarians have to say. The allegations made in the documentary were completely bogus if you ask me.

#4 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

moon and room are the only two words that can be made with those letters! ...except moron!

lmao great movie though, I loved this flick. I'm a bit of a Kubrick obsessive myself, particularly when it comes to The Shining, took a course just focussing on Stan back in film school. So it's a real blast to watch even if some of the theories are seriously reaching (but in an entertaining way). I used to get stoned and think about the Freudian implications and hypnotic visuals, but these guys take it to a whole new, amazingly nutty level. You might be bored by it if you haven't seen The Shining a hell of a lot of times. My favorite bit is probably the whole thing about him creating impossible spaces within the map of the hotel, like the window behind Ullman in his office, or just scratching my head at the strange continuity errors (Kubrick was such a perfectionist it's hard to imagine him making some of these mistakes, like the changing typewriter). As outlandish as some of the theories are Kubrick was undoubtedly a genius, and it's a testament to his genius that his work, intentionally or otherwise, lends itself to so many interesting and varied interpretations.
  • DJ Projexion and MWBOOGIE like this

#5 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Great post. That must have been some class! No need for a muthafunking smart phone in that bitch.

The office scene is so dope, but after seeing the weird documentary--the cooler scene kind of got to me. I caught on to Kubrick early. It's just the obsessive compulsive aspect that I love. No one captured the senses quite like him. He was a master of lighting too--something that I have no experience in, whatsoever. Total asshole, though.

#6 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

haha yeah it was a brilliant class, every week was a long lecture followed by screening followed by discussion. Covered all his films in chronological order. Took another one with the same format except focussing on Cronenberg, which was pretty damn amazing too.

Kubrick's lighting design is consistently incredible, up to and including Eyes Wide Shut. Barry Lyndon (arguably his most boring and dull movie) is worth it just for the scenes he lit exclusively by candle-light.

The notion that Danny may have opened the walk-in door and set Jack free also blew my hair back. And the Aztec sacrifice bit with Jack tumbling down the stairs.

#7 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

will check it out tonight yo!

thx

#8 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:51 AM

My favorite part was the playing it forwards and backwards simultaneously, especially that one shot of Jack's face with the murdered girls. Pretty freaky.

#9 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

I haven't seen the documentary yet, but someone posted this on Reddit when it was brought up over there

Big fan of the movie (scariest movie I've seen) and reading the book right now for the first time. The movie/book are quite different from each other, both are great in their own way imo.

#10 mrvaughn

mrvaughn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

^ Reading Doctor Sleep next then? Read it the other week. Worthy follow up to The Shining.

#11 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

^Kip has come a long way since Napoleon Dynamite.

Yeah, I thought there were a good number of odd things that were cited to by the documentary. Kind of BS. But as I stated earlier--this is the kind of movie that you never want to end. So it makes sense that someone would want to continue discussing themes.

There was another video stating that Kubrik was trying to show the people that there were alien beings that were in control of the earthly populations...

#12 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

^ Reading Doctor Sleep next then? Read it the other week. Worthy follow up to The Shining.

Yeah def reading that right after, I've heard good things about it.

#13 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

One of my favorite lines of all time:
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic