• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

how do you guys deal with them, or do you even acknowledge them?
i usually attack them harshly when they try criticizing my music...

especially since my channel gets like zero love from anyone, let alone any views, so for my videos to have just one comment on it and for it to be something negative really irks me.

for example, this is from my YouTube set i uploaded a few months back that i recorded in my bedroom in preperation for my first show:

Posted Image

was this too harsh lol?
it probably was, but i don't care...people should keep their opinions to their fucking selves unless they really want to throw down on a public forum. plus, i really do have an autistic brother, and i do think it's shitty that he has a video uploaded of his autistic bro rapping just to get cheap likes and 'awww' comments on his channel. so what'cha guys think??????????

#2 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

Sometimes when you don't confront the hate, it consumes you.
  • Annie Hall Records likes this

#3 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

i think i add to it lol, i'm not even gonna pretend like that comment was not fucking harsh towards that random dude.
but i mean imagine my perspective-- i have 0 followers, work my ass off constantly and never get any views/likes/comments/anything on my channel. then one day i look and find someone left a comment, and it's some horse shit telling me that i'm a terrible rapper and i should kill myself. how do you expect me to react? i'm out for blood haha, fuck your special needs family member at that point, you wanted to tell me how shitty of an artist i am? well i'm gonna leave you feeling really, really, really bad about yourself and your close relatives lol. i don't have to put up with that shit...although i am happy to say i have another quote to add to my signature box down below ^_^

#4 Haef

Haef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/haef

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

I dont think its too harsh. I mean if people want to call out artists doing their thing anonymously on the internet they are shitty people anyway. Do your thing bro
  • James Frank. and Annie Hall Records like this

#5 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

It's a little harsh, but whatever, screw him. I usually don't bother with haters online, you never know who's just trying to get a rise out of you. Hypertension already runs in my family and being a black male doesn't help either, so I try to stay pretty mellow and let the BS roll off my back. No need to bust a blood vessel over some bored preteen.

#6 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

I would just completely ignore it bro and delete it. Rise above and stay away from any negativity
  • GC90 and Dirty Cyclist like this

#7 Annie Hall Records

Annie Hall Records

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

agreed. ignore the comments. nothing matters.

#8 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

james

I have a 200 + sub channel and one of the ways I dealt with hate is by egging them on :)

the more they comment the more views you get. the more views the more likely more people will find te video

Just say really dicky stuff to them

#9 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/hungrym4n

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

For the record, I watched your set a while back and thought it was pretty damn good. Although I rarely log into youtube and leave comments, you got 1 view from me. Loads of nice production and crazy punctual rhymes. (Forgive my lack of descriptors, been up since 5am on 4 1/2 hrs of sleep)

As for haters, most aren't worth the time to headbutt with and assholes always have to speak their minds. Dealing with things in opposites, can be very useful. Say like responding to a negative comment with, "Thanks for watching!" or asking a question like "Would you care to elaborate on your comment?" Regardless of the response, they might just think a little... maybe. Fuck it, there isn't any shame in doing what you enjoy and critics are gonna do what they do. But, only one of the two are gonna benefit.
  • James Frank. and MWBOOGIE like this

#10 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

Probably easier just to delete the comment. Youtube commenters are the worst lol

#11 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,190 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

In my younger days I was DJing for some buddy's who were rapping in a battle of the bands event. The bar was feeding us Long Island Ice Teas all night even though none of us were even close to 21. We went on stage drunk as fuck and some technical issues started up with the soundsystem. Some other cats were talking shit in front of the stage and started dissing my homies. I leaped from behind the tables, jumped off the stage, and punched this cat's beer out of his hands and started brawling with three big ass dudes who had to be damn near forty. Needless to say we didn't win the battle of the bands that night...
  • DJ Primate, CertafiedBluntHead and James Frank. like this

#12 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Just say really dicky stuff to them

check and mate. haha

but yeah, i probably should refrain from getting worked up about stupid shit like that. i wouldn't even care if it were a situation where my channel had enough positive feedback to whitewash the negative...but when you only have one comment and it's not a good one, that definitely affects future viewers' opinions of how you'll be straight away. i know that whenever i'm browsing for dudes on YT, if i see a situation similar to the one on my video i probably just won't even watch it. idk, i guess i need to promote better...or just feed all the hate comments through one of my alt accounts lol.

It's a little harsh, but whatever, screw him. I usually don't bother with haters online, you never know who's just trying to get a rise out of you. Hypertension already runs in my family and being a black male doesn't help either, so I try to stay pretty mellow and let the BS roll off my back. No need to bust a blood vessel over some bored preteen.

very solid advice.

#13 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

It took me a long time to figure out that Haters are nothing but useless distractions.

If I were to look at every asshole that got something to shitty to say with some form of validity then my studio's walls wouldn't be filled with the vinyl records, CD's and hopefully in the not so distant future cassettes that I produced or remixed.

Posted Image

I wouldn't be able to do live performances for the people like the DJ gig I'm doing tonight.

Posted Image

Or I wouldn't be making new records with my fellow hip hop veterans or newer artists I really like and respect. I'm going to continue making records, doing shows and building a relationship with the people that actually like what I do and learn as much as I can about them and the music I love through real life conversations and experiences.

That's where my focus is in life, not some weak minded cowards that's too afraid to reach for their creative goals. If you're not trying to be a positive force in life then I want no parts of you.
  • James Frank. likes this

#14 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:12 AM

If you are gonna do stuff, people are gonna say stuff about it, some of them will be nobheads. Deal with it on a case by case basis, depending how you feel at the time. I like your response, it's probably the Youtube equivalent of jumping over the tables and punching the cat's beer out of his hands!

#15 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Mmm sketchy this one, Haters that make you end up defending someones disability is straight up shit, this is totally different to when 2 people without special needs are just going at it, would you view this guys brother differently if he hadn't trashed what you had done, probably, I have a new tactic that I've learnt, just say " I LOVE YOU" they soon shut up, especially if that is your only response to anything they say. Haters teach you how to react, the more you learn, the more you can handle, and sometimes you may be the one to teach them the lesson, nothing is ever as negative as it seems.

#16 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

ignore haters yet be open to informed criticism.
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#17 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

Mmm sketchy this one, Haters that make you end up defending someones disability is straight up shit, this is totally different to when 2 people without special needs are just going at it, would you view this guys brother differently if he hadn't trashed what you had done, probably, I have a new tactic that I've learnt, just say " I LOVE YOU" they soon shut up, especially if that is your only response to anything they say. Haters teach you how to react, the more you learn, the more you can handle, and sometimes you may be the one to teach them the lesson, nothing is ever as negative as it seems.

good advice, ODK. although i will reiterate my point that he is a shitty brother for uploading a tongue-in-cheek video of his brother "freestyling" just to get sympathy likes and attain this false sense of self-worth he seems to have about him. i really do have a little brother with autism, and based on my personal experiences i don't feel like it would be wise to put him 'on blast' like that as they say, since most people don't even realize he has issues because he's so low on the spectrum. i don't go around telling people how good of a person i am for playing Mario Kart Wii with him or taking him for some fucking ice cream or something, and there's nothing i loathe more than people who try to draw attention towards themselves because they have a son/daughter/brother/sister/family member with some disability that they feel like they can capitalize on, it's sick and predatory and horridly self-centered to act like a martyr for society because your kid has special needs.

my insult was meant to go to the guy obviously, not the disabled kid--and it was intentionally the most vicious thing i knew i could say to him to basically just get him to shut the fuck up and get off his high horse...and you know what? plan worked.

in the future i'll most likely just either delete it, respond with a positive comment or block the person. but sometimes you just gotta put these assholes in their place. YouTube is a public forum, and anything you post on your channel is potential fodder for me if you piss me off enough...

#18 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:59 AM

good advice, ODK. although i will reiterate my point that he is a shitty brother for uploading a tongue-in-cheek video of his brother "freestyling" just to get sympathy likes and attain this false sense of self-worth he seems to have about him. i really do have a little brother with autism, and based on my personal experiences i don't feel like it would be wise to put him 'on blast' like that as they say, since most people don't even realize he has issues because he's so low on the spectrum. i don't go around telling people how good of a person i am for playing Mario Kart Wii with him or taking him for some fucking ice cream or something, and there's nothing i loathe more than people who try to draw attention towards themselves because they have a son/daughter/brother/sister/family member with some disability that they feel like they can capitalize on, it's sick and predatory and horridly self-centered to act like a martyr for society because your kid has special needs.

my insult was meant to go to the guy obviously, not the disabled kid--and it was intentionally the most vicious thing i knew i could say to him to basically just get him to shut the fuck up and get off his high horse...and you know what? plan worked
in the future i'll most likely just either delete it, respond with a positive comment or block the person. but sometimes you just gotta put these assholes in their place. YouTube is a public forum, and anything you post on your channel is potential fodder for me if you piss me off enough...

Yeah man put like that I'm with you, also I fucked up what I was trying to say, doesn't quite read right, I made it look like you gunned the kid with Autism. I'm a fine one to talk, I was in a shop, supporting this lad to do food shopping, he was non verbal, and communicated by claps, well the person behind me, their ignorance soon shone through by saying, Shut up are you fucking mental, I had 2 options, lay him the fuck out, or start the clapping game with the kid, I chose the clapping game, and we clapped till this fool had enough of being ignored and left the queue.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#19 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yeah man put like that I'm with you, also I fucked up what I was trying to say, doesn't quite read right, I made it look like you gunned the kid with Autism. I'm a fine one to talk, I was in a shop, supporting this lad to do food shopping, he was non verbal, and communicated by claps, well the person behind me, their ignorance soon shone through by saying, Shut up are you fucking mental, I had 2 options, lay him the fuck out, or start the clapping game with the kid, I chose the clapping game, and we clapped till this fool had enough of being ignored and left the queue.

that's a cool story haha. some people are just so self-centered and unaware of themselves that it's ridiculous...like i said, i've never had issues with my bro particularly because he's so high-functioning, but there's some kids he has class with that are much worse off than him unfortunately. for a time he was non-verbal though, and when he was a baby he'd just either stay silent, cry, plug his ears or point and laugh when he saw trains...so i definitely get where you're coming from. didn't you say before that you work in child psychology or something?

#20 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

In my younger days I was DJing for some buddy's who were rapping in a battle of the bands event. The bar was feeding us Long Island Ice Teas all night even though none of us were even close to 21. We went on stage drunk as fuck and some technical issues started up with the soundsystem. Some other cats were talking shit in front of the stage and started dissing my homies. I leaped from behind the tables, jumped off the stage, and punched this cat's beer out of his hands and started brawling with three big ass dudes who had to be damn near forty. Needless to say we didn't win the battle of the bands that night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kaviBO2HuQ
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#21 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:12 AM

Nice plug Pete lol

#22 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Nice plug Pete lol

Was not meant to be a plug, I was making a point.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#23 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

that's a cool story haha. some people are just so self-centered and unaware of themselves that it's ridiculous...like i said, i've never had issues with my bro particularly because he's so high-functioning, but there's some kids he has class with that are much worse off than him unfortunately. for a time he was non-verbal though, and when he was a baby he'd just either stay silent, cry, plug his ears or point and laugh when he saw trains...so i definitely get where you're coming from. didn't you say before that you work in child psychology or something?

Yeah I'm a Carer, Support worker, worked with kids mostly, then adults in wheelchairs, then back to kids, which is just full on hardcore now, they're 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 support, for eg I missed listening to the battles last week, as one of the kids beat my girlfriend up pretty badly, punched stamped on, strangled, but that's what we do.

And what is it with trains, has your brother ever seen Thomas the Tank Engine, if not you can have some fun with that. Maybe care is a good job to look at man, you naturally get it, your attitude is bang on for it.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#24 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Yeah I'm a Carer, Support worker, worked with kids mostly, then adults in wheelchairs, then back to kids, which is just full on hardcore now, they're 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 support, for eg I missed listening to the battles last week, as one of the kids beat my girlfriend up pretty badly, punched stamped on, strangled, but that's what we do.

And what is it with trains, has your brother ever seen Thomas the Tank Engine, if not you can have some fun with that. Maybe care is a good job to look at man, you naturally get it, your attitude is bang on for it.

yeah, he used to be really into that show...but now he's a teenager, haha. so he's long-since moved on.

but yeah, possibly. i've never thought about going into that field, my major is film studies right now. i know that my mom and i have worked our asses off for the past 12 or so years to get him to this point, and i'm 100% certain that if we never gave as much of a shit about dealing with him and teaching him stuff he would still be basically the same as he was when he was first diagnosed at 2...i certainly have met families that have kids who still are developmentally in 1st grade despite physically being almost in high school.

so i think, at least in terms of autism and asperger's, it's not necessarily a set in stone diagnosis for the rest of someone's life. some kids are lucky to be very low on the spectrum (like my bro), and are able to learn as they grow and eventually just grow out of it to the point where people don't realize he even has an issue unless we specifically tell them. David Byrne speculates he had autism as a child, and he's one of the best examples of someone who became self-reliant and even successful throughout his lifetime despite his afflictions.

#25 Chason

Chason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

I'm a painter. Not everyone likes my shit. Obviously, it's a different world with music, especially now being able to put everything out there for worldwide critique. On top of that, people get to have fake brass balls through facades of screen-names and anonymity. With actual constructive criticism of your work it's even hard to sometimes not yell "fuck you," but you're better off constructing a well worded counter-point or just dealing with it and moving on. With dipshits on Youtube or soundcloud or wherever, I think counter to what mangoes cash said, the more you participate with trolling commenters or ineloquent haters, the more fuel you add to the fire and the more it'll burn you up. Fuck that guy and ignore people like that is my advice. Let clowns be clowns, don't join the circus.

#26 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

yeah, he used to be really into that show...but now he's a teenager, haha. so he's long-since moved on.

but yeah, possibly. i've never thought about going into that field, my major is film studies right now. i know that my mom and i have worked our asses off for the past 12 or so years to get him to this point, and i'm 100% certain that if we never gave as much of a shit about dealing with him and teaching him stuff he would still be basically the same as he was when he was first diagnosed at 2...i certainly have met families that have kids who still are developmentally in 1st grade despite physically being almost in high school.

so i think, at least in terms of autism and asperger's, it's not necessarily a set in stone diagnosis for the rest of someone's life. some kids are lucky to be very low on the spectrum (like my bro), and are able to learn as they grow and eventually just grow out of it to the point where people don't realize he even has an issue unless we specifically tell them. David Byrne speculates he had autism as a child, and he's one of the best examples of someone who became self-reliant and even successful throughout his lifetime despite his afflictions.

Most Artists like Dali, Vangough, all had some sort of syndrome, the other flipside is, sometimes it's a gift, a special ability, rather than a disability. You ever seen that documentary of the autistic child pretty much cured by a Native American, it's crazy, basically proves that it's a mass withdrawal symptom, some carers I know didn't like it as they thought it's part of their character, who are we to decide to change them, My argument was how happy the kid was after.

#27 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

^My dude.

#28 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

J FRANK WE SHOULD DO A RAP TOGETHER CURSING OUT THE HATERS!!!!!!
  • James Frank. likes this

#29 Redino

Redino

Rookie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, Listening to beats
  • Soundcloud:VNHST

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

how do you guys deal with them, or do you even acknowledge them?
i usually attack them harshly when they try criticizing my music...

especially since my channel gets like zero love from anyone, let alone any views, so for my videos to have just one comment on it and for it to be something negative really irks me.

for example, this is from my YouTube set i uploaded a few months back that i recorded in my bedroom in preperation for my first show:

Posted Image

was this too harsh lol?
it probably was, but i don't care...people should keep their opinions to their fucking selves unless they really want to throw down on a public forum. plus, i really do have an autistic brother, and i do think it's shitty that he has a video uploaded of his autistic bro rapping just to get cheap likes and 'awww' comments on his channel. so what'cha guys think??????????

replying to these sort of things fucks your flow up .
its best to distance yourself from these comments and stay with that positive energy .
the dude hating on you clearly has some issues .
just brush it off and spend your energy improving your craft so he can't say shit fam .

#30 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,190 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kaviBO2HuQ

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Redino likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users