• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

https://openmedia.or...deserves=report

they're trying to do it again...
get this shit out there ASAP, because the TPP is 2013's answer to SOPA and PIPA. that, i can only assume, would mean the end of 50% of this site, since we all dabble in samples and other content FREQUENTLY.

#2 Crystal Joker

Crystal Joker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:My Ganja, Oranges, Coffee
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/head-jamz

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:45 AM

Internet Police, what a waste of a job. That's stupid tho that they're trying to stop illegal downloading again you would think they would learn from the first time. I remember being in the computer lab at school and wouldn't be able to get on any sites unless i filled out a form like that in your link. People still kinda control their government, if an overwhelming mass of people are against the governments decisions they'll back off, unless they truly don't give a shit they'll do it anyway.

#3 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

why are you supporting stealing music? That is disrespectful and in the long run stupid.

#4 Crystal Joker

Crystal Joker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:My Ganja, Oranges, Coffee
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/head-jamz

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

why are you supporting stealing music? That is disrespectful and in the long run stupid.

Whoa... not what I meant. I mean with all the songs being shared for purposes like the beat battle (for example) where we take a song from an artist, most likely without consult, flip it in our own way and share our music with others for favorites downloads and votes. Truly we all have illegal downloads of a song that wasn't ours and haven't purchased. For you tellin' me I support this shit is hippocritical cuz if you are a die hard buy everything there's no proof of that, like there is no proof that I do the same thing; can't be pointing fingers at people you don't know.

With the Government thing, just signing a petition is effective of stopping bullshit laws like this, but if they're doing it again after the first time, then who's to know if they'll do it again after that. Pointless, we're just stalling them without finishing it.

#5 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

try telling me that every single track in your library, physical and digital, was purchased fair and square directly from the artist/label with a straight face. people used to bootleg cassette tapes off of radio stations and live shows to disperse to fans, essentially this is the EXACT same thing. if you're in this game deep enough like you always mention you are, then there's no question you have some "rare" or "unreleased" songs from your favorite artists-- meaning that you, sir, are being hypocritical in criticizing our points of view.

Madlib himself has released mountains of beats that don't have cleared samples, i'm willing to bet you haven't cleared every single sample you used...so your argument is irrelevant. under this legislation, it would only provide a precedence for them to censor more and taunt lawful civilians into submission-- do you really not see that?

sure, right now it's under the guise of "wah wah wah pay Michael Jackson's estate every time you play a song from the Beatles catalog or go to jail until you die", but they can easily tighten it up down the road and say you can't own anything on your cpu that's infringing someone's copyright. then they'll say you can't get on the internet unless you're closely supervised by a government official. then they'll say no internet and just shut down websites.

it just snowballs, any time you give the government an inch in anything they take a mile, that's been proven time and time again. are you really willing to sacrifice the freedom of the internet because you're worried about some faceless entity you don't even have any association with not getting paid their 20 cents? i find it weird coming from you, the guy who talks on and on about how you came up during the golden years of hip-hop, i.e. the golden years of sampling.
  • Crystal Joker and HUNGRYMAN like this

#6 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/hungrym4n

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Man, how many of these sneaky bills have to be shot down? I could only imagine how ISPs prices would go up if they had to monitor and censor their users content. I remember back in the 90's when AOL sent out those 1-month free discs and the price eventually went to $19.95 a month for dial-up. Today I pay $50 a month for the slowest connection my cable co. has, and I'd imagine the old dial-up connection took more $ in resources.

#7 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

yo

Posted Image

Edited by MellowYouth, 27 September 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#8 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

yo

Posted Image

image link is broken, Mellow.

#9 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

hahhaha america lost :D

#10 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

image link is broken, Mellow.

bah, im gonna stop using freeimageupload and start using tinypic. this is the 3rd time someone has said "image not working" when i upload with freeimageupload. it works on all my computers and browsers (firefox/opera/safari) but doesnt seem to load on other folks

this internet censorship is crazy though. things like this would be a nightmare for the court systems if implemented. not sure if there would even need to be a court hearing, tbh. the ISP would flag you for downloading, verify and start sending out huge fines. like, people would get a letter saying "youre being fined $100,000 for suchandsuch movie/song. you have 180 days to start your down payment"

if its something different like say, your ISP flags you for downloading and as such your internet bill is double if you continue to download. that would be something i kind of would be down with. if i paid an extra $30 a month and had the right to download that would be cool. somehow i doubt thats what they want though. i am honestly scared when this kinda shit goes down :(

and ive tried to share this with other people in the US and they think im a conspiracy theorist or somethin

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users