6 replies to this topic

#1 mores

mores

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Soundcloud:/moresmusic

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:02 AM

So I wanna start incorporating scratches into my beats. Dude at the tech store tells me I need to buy his 150 euro scratch needles in order to scratch. :huh:

Are scratch needles necessary? I don't want to destroy my vinyl but how much damage does a regular needle really do?

#2 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/nick-papadopoulos-2

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

I hate to give away my secrets but in one word: fuck no. I guess that is two.

Trust me on this one. And I used to love to scratch. The sound might differ: since you are from Holland you might be expecting that perfect in my opinion "square-ass" sound. If you are gay and into techno then spend money and purchase the expensive needle. But if you bump the real ish...tell homeboy to stick a heinekken up it.

#3 mores

mores

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

Appreciate the reply. Not sure how my location influences my taste in sound but for me the grittier the better. Guess I'll just test it out when I get the chance.

#4 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:55 AM

i use the same stock needles that came with the tables i bought...and they seem to work fine for me. i think he's just trying to upsell your purchases from his store, imo.

#5 mores

mores

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

i use the same stock needles that came with the tables i bought...and they seem to work fine for me. i think he's just trying to upsell your purchases from his store, imo.

That seems to be the case. I guess he got me to believe him because he immediately acted like I was a fool for not knowing. Once again appreciate the advice ;)

#6 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/nick-papadopoulos-2

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hey did not mean anything about being from the Netherlands. What I meant to say is that most people from that part of Europe that I have met like a cleaner sound. Some of us prefer a grimier sound. I was always really grimy and enjoyed when my friend introduced me to his really cheap needles. It was like a revelation for me as I had been spending way too much throughout my career.

#7 mores

mores

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

It's all good man. Thanks! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users