30 replies to this topic

#1 Haef

Haef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/haef

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

We all know him as an MC, but what do you guys think of him as a producer? I always thought he was a really underrated producer as well, I mean my god listen to this track--

#2 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:08 AM

Average producer
Excellent "ear for samples"
  • Mr. Gerbik and nathanAlexander like this

#3 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:01 AM

Average producer

I agree.

#4 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

It's cool that you can hear him playing a bunch of beats by hand, but if he wasn't also DOOM the rapper, no one would pay much attention to these beats of his.

His work on the Geedorah album as a producer - in the sense of putting a whole conceptual project together - was outstanding. That's a great producer record, but it's not because the beats are so good.

I wouldn't say he has an "ear for samples" - he's average in that dept.

#5 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

I think his smart like the fox. He knows how to conserve his product well. I appreciate that about him quite a bit.

#6 Fake Krills

Fake Krills

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

i'd definitely call him an above average producer, if not for just his ear for samples

special herbs is a great series

#7 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

this topic could've just stayed on the "DOOM" thread we already had going...
  • GC90 likes this

#8 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

To me, all that matters is that I like and can repeatedly listen to about 95% of his production. That's what makes a great producer in my mind. While his technical skills may run on the more average side, and I can understand how that might disqualify him for some people, I've happily bumped nearly every one of his produced tracks. I can't say that for RZA, even though he's got so many incredible tracks (could say it for Prince Paul, The Madlib, etc.) Metal Fingers has got the early, melodic stuff, his sound/sample-collage stuff, and his darker more recent stuff, so much good shit, he never fell off for me. I'd definitely classify Take Me To Your Leader as DOOM's production masterpiece (including the beats!) but to me even Operation: DD and MM..FOOD stand out in terms of production. I wouldn't call him underrated though, I think he generally gets the amount of acclaim he deserves from those in the know. Of course, you're not gonna hear no Special Herbs on the radio though.

#9 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

Nice summation. Cant get into his other projects because I keep expecting Doomsday and Food, myself.

The last effort JJ was bothersome. You pay to hear his mind and solely his mind not that of these other guys. I do not expect him to be able to put out that effort anymore, but his unique ideas beats out the collabo stuff.

I want to see him only play games that he wins at.

#10 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, podcasts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

I enjoy his sound collages. His beats aren't anything phenomenal, but they do sound nice
  • GC90, HUNGRYMAN and MWBOOGIE like this

#11 Jurmainson

Jurmainson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

I wouldn't say he has an "ear for samples" - he's average in that dept.

Umm..what? How?
  • GC90 likes this

#12 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

Nice summation. Cant get into his other projects because I keep expecting Doomsday and Food, myself.

The last effort JJ was bothersome. You pay to hear his mind and solely his mind not that of these other guys. I do not expect him to be able to put out that effort anymore, but his unique ideas beats out the collabo stuff.

I want to see him only play games that he wins at.

WHAT?! This statement is asinine. I feel bad that you've never spent time with Madvillain. And you obviously need to go back and bump Keys To The Kuff again because that shit is lovely. Yeah, it ain't Operation but its also not 1999 anymore either.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#13 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

many are called but few are chosen

#14 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

I enjoy his sound collages.

Same here, his sound collages are always excellent.

And you obviously need to go back and bump Keys To The Kuff again because that shit is lovely.

I wonder if some folks only gave this one a few listens and judge it by that. This one took me some time to appreciate, but it's def a solid project with some great highlights to me now (especially with the new tracks included).

On topic, I don't think anyone would say DOOM's an amazing producer but he's def a solid one imo. Especially given the fact that it's clear he's an emcee first/producer second. I own that Special Herbs set on vinyl, def some great stuff in the collection imo.

King Geedorah album def proves he has some skills producing. Favorite one off that record:

#15 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

I remember coming across a discussion years ago, maybe on the old Hip Hop Site forum, that said something about at least some of the Special Herbs being produced by DJ Subroc (RIP). Does anyone have any idea which if any of them DOOM's late great brother put together? Be interesting to know...

#16 4444

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

I remember coming across a discussion years ago, maybe on the old Hip Hop Site forum, that said something about at least some of the Special Herbs being produced by DJ Subroc (RIP). Does anyone have any idea which if any of them DOOM's late great brother put together? Be interesting to know...

Only info I've come across on this topic is Subroc's Wiki page (duh)/Discogs profile (which copied which, don't know), listing "Peach Extract", "Hands Of Doom", "Rainblood" (Pt.1 & 2), "Hoe Cakes" and "Scientific Civilization".

Peach Extract is Peach Fuzz, so yeah it's Subroc/Zev like majority of KMD stuff in general.
Hands of Doom is Shallots. While Subroc isn't listed on Operation Doomsday, Herbs 1&2 mentions Shallots being "from the spice-racks of" DJ Subroc.
On Special Herbs Guide, Rainblood and Clipse of Doom is listed as Bergamot Wild, then again as Four Thieves Vinegar for Escape From Monsta Isle. Don't know about the booklet for the Herbs release, but DOOM is credited on all releases as far as I see. Execpt Monsta Island credits the late great Subroc for overseeing the whole proejct...
Hoe Cakes is only DOOM on the vinyl and album, don't know what it says about Jasmine Blossoms on the Herbs booklet...
Finally Scientific Civilization is credited for DOOM on Monsta Island (and as Jellyfish on FIshscale), but on Herbs 1&2 it says "Joe Doe" on Sumac Berries.

Also, Nettle Leaves is credited to Mr. Fantastic but on Doomsday it says Who You Think I Am? is co-produced by Big Lou. But when Saffron credits noone besides DOOM, on Doomsday the title track is co-produced by X-Ray.

tl;dr: KMD stuff for sure. Shallots too maybe yes no? Production credits differ between releases. On another note, check X-Ray's bandcamp if you haven't before: http://xraydamindbenda.bandcamp.com
Came across it just now, so thanks for that nervous.

#17 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

KMD stuff: Garbage Day #3, Get-U-Now, Sweet Premium Wine, Smoking That Shit, Black Bastards, It Sounded Like A Roc, Plumskinzz, Hard Wit No Hoe, and probably a bunch more, which are credited as being produced by KMD (MF probably helped out on those). Sub may have provided the framework for some of the other Herbs, I guess we'll never know... Special Herbs 1-2 seem to have a lot more co-producers (Big Jim, DJ Cucumber Slice, DJ Pocket, DJ Spinna, etc.)

Now the question becomes: was DJ Subroc a great producer?

#18 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

Now the question becomes: was DJ Subroc a great producer?

Damn right, yo! The Hip Hop Hendrix.

Keep in mind the work he did was before Operation Doomsday and most of what people listen to nowadays.
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#19 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Damn right, yo! The Hip Hop Hendrix.

Keep in mind the work he did was before Operation Doomsday and most of what people listen to nowadays.

Totally agree! I remember reading that Garbage Day #3 was made over the course of a very late night. To get all those vocal samples off the tele in one night?!?!?

#20 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

the question of Subroc's greatness is rhetorical. I think he would have gone on to be at least as good as MF. Or is he just average, with a good ear for samples?

#21 Jay Stone

Jay Stone

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

I think the whole "from the spice racks of" was whoever he got the sample from. Thought I read that years ago but maybe I'm wrong.

#22 rokwell

rokwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

I think the whole "from the spice racks of" was whoever he got the sample from. Thought I read that years ago but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, I think you are correct on that one. DJ Cucumber slice aka Bobbito lent records to DOOM at won point in time.

#23 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:17 AM

"ooh you're like the sun, chasing all of the rain away..."

#24 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:53 AM

Average producer

Isn't a good ear for samples like 80% of the battle when it comes to sample based production. Personally I love DOOM's production, mainly because it always puts me in the mood to freestyle or write.

#25 J-Syxx

J-Syxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

You guys are hilarious. Doom's beats are raw. He's aware of how you soundcloud/mediashare producers make your wack beats, but he does it his way. But I guess referring to him as "average" becuase you're jealous people are still talking about his records ten years later and no one gives two shits about your downloads makes you feel better.

#26 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

While I like how you do not mince your words, unlike most posters; and appreciate your love for DOOM--I do not think that the beats on here are bad at all. I am a pretty harsh critic and I have enjoyed many peoples' beats on here. I'd love to see yours and see why you are so full of scorn.

On that note, I have been trying to ascertain why people think that this John Wayne guy is so good. But, hey, all these other people are fans.

I doubt it takes DOOM very long to put together a beat.

#27 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

On that note, I have been trying to ascertain why people think that this John Wayne guy is so good. But, hey, all these other people are fans.

It's probably because he used to be be a regular here and most are dickriding him.
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#28 Guts

Guts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Mario

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

bitter as fuck niggahz need to lighten up and light up

#29 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

It's probably because he used to be be a regular here and most are dickriding him.

At least someone has enough sense of self to speak their mind. People forget that it is important to disconnect from a particular scene in order to come up with something interesting and diverse.

#30 skyboard

skyboard

Rookie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Soundcloud:soundcloud.com/rowshcamethru

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

special herbs is great. so id say hes great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users