#1 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

Hi there,
Any web geeks out there? ... let me restate that, as that might be a little broad for this forum. Anyhow, all kidding aside, anyone with knowledge on the internet visitor stats terms "Hits, Files, Pages, Visits, Sites" That can explain to me, in greater detail, what go on with these? My internet research is not quite catching on with old mangoes.

Posted Image

#2 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Here you go, bruh

http://www.webalizer...lizer_help.html

#3 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

"Hits" is basically typing in a web address to navigigate to a page that resides on a web server. "Files" is what your browser downloads so that you can view that page. "Sites" is pretty much the IP address or IP addresses that the web address points to in order to get you to the web server where the page resides on. "Visits" is for the most part a running tally of requests to that web server in a certain amount of time. "Pages" is just the necessary files that make up the website. "KBytes" is the measured data rate between your computer and the web server that stores the page your're viewing. Tried to break it down the best way I could.

#4 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

Thanks dude,
You know what, I took my own medicine, and wiki'd it. I thought maybe these stats were non universal or something anyhow, no worries, cheers.

#5 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

So,
Hits: are anytime some one types in www.ThisWebsite.com and goes to the page?

Files: are however many times a single piece of content is downloaded, or loaded into the server fully?

Sites: I am unclear on sites, can you further explain?

Visits: Are anytime some one visits the page?

If you can further explain these I would appreciate it. Thanks. Also, Can I ask, what your knowledge background on this is?

#6 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hits: are anytime some one types in www.ThisWebsite.com and goes to the page? Yep!

Files: are however many times a single piece of content is downloaded, or loaded into the server fully? Exactly!

Sites: I am unclear on sites, can you further explain?

Visits: Are anytime some one visits the page?

----

Sites are basically this:

www.somewebsite.com = IP address. The IP address is basically the internet number that's assigned to a device on a network. Kind of like your home computer ... in order for you to get online your ISP gives you an IP address. If you host a website on your own computer, then you would go to a site like Go Daddy to buy a web address and then tell them to point that address to your IP address so that whenever someone types in your web address it will send them to your website. Think of an IP address as being your home address. In order for people to come "visit" you, they will need to know where you live!

Visits is basically a count of how many times people visit a given web address.

I actually work for an internet service provider in their network operations, so I deal with things like this daily. My job is to monitor a core IP network.

#7 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

Thanks bro

So, what is the difference between "Hits" and "Visits", they seem the same in description but are different in count, drastically.

And "Sites", if it is my IP Address, why is the count in the hundreds?

Also, I only have one page, so why is the "Pages" count also in the hundreds?

#8 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

"HIts" = requests to the server that your page resides on (whomever owns the servers that www.stonesthrow.com resides on)
"Visits" = requests to the site that's built on the server (www.stonesthrow.com)
"Sites" = the shit you see when you type a web address into the address bar
"Pages" = sounds like Facebook. It's not really a bunch of pages. It's just one page. don't know why they made it plural ... lol.

#9 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

Thanks, I am trying to see the difference between Hits and Visits.

If my server is server.com and my site is mysite.com, can I disregard hits as they have no relevance to my site??

Sorry, but I am sure this is so simple, I am just terrible with the details.

Thanks!

#10 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

Think about it like this:

server.com (host name) -----> 69.20.25.65:5060 (IP address:port) ------> HP Proliant computer (web server)

Hits are very relevant as it's a count of the many visitors to your site (your host name).

#11 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

Ok, so then what are visits then? I am still mixed up.

#12 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Visits are basically people "visiting" your website. Visits generate hits, or requests to the server that hosts your website.

#13 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

So generally speaking my hits are 3 times greater than my views. Why is that? This is what is confusing me.

#14 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

That could be anything. Take a look at the metrics of the hit counter. Check to see exactly what it looks for and what it considers a "hit". If I set up a hit counter on an Ethernet interface installed in my server that has a statically assigned IP address, and configure the counter to tally the many times it receives communication from the internet, it's going to count everything regardless of what site I'm hosting. Bum deal. Let me clarify.

Let's go back to the analogy about the "house". I own a house that has a front porch, and I want to keep a running count of how may times someone stands on my porch so I hired a midget to hide in the bushes with a pad and pen and gave him/her (or it) this task. If I don't tell him (or her) exactly what to count, then he's/she's going to count everything he/she sees "hit" my porch, i.e. people, stray cats, dogs, bugs, spiders, newspapers. But if I tell this midget-for-hire to only count people and ignore everything else, then he's/she's only going to count people.

Some hit counters are waaaaay inaccurate, like the "counters" you see at the bottom of a lot of blogs. Find one and test it out! Navigate to a blog with a counter on the page, make note of the number, exit your browser, and then go back to the blog. You'll notice that the counter never changes.

#15 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Visits to a URL (or website) are a little different in a way, because you're counting the many times someone navigates to your page. This is not always correct, but it's more accurate than a "hit" counter.

#16 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Hit counters available online usually measure "visits" to your site, which makes it quite confusing. Hit counters used by network administrators are far more advanced in that they give countless ways to measure all kinds of IP traffic to a given URL or IP address.

#17 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

I personally use Wireshark to "measure hits" because, for one, I have access to the server that I'm wanting to measure requests and I'm able to filter out all the garbage that tends to slip by and get counted.

#18 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

Thanks man.
But what could a hit be besides someone going to my site??

And, that being said, are views a more accurate count?

#19 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

A hit can be pretty much any form of communication on the internet. Ping requests, people trying to "hack" into your computer via the many available TCP/UDP ports online (remote desktop protocol or "RDP" = TCP/UDP port 3389, for instance) ... anything. Someone could even send a denial-of-service attack to your server's IP address and your hit counter would go ape shit with the many requests that your IP address . So yes, in a nutshell view counters are not 100% accurate but to me they're far more accurate than hit counters.

#20 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hm.
My site, a relative unknown, only attracting a certain cliental, to test out beta versions of our product. What is the likely hood that would attract anything but a person visiting the site? I mean, who, why or what would do something like trying to hack into a company computer, or perform a denial of service attack. We are a very small outfit who is virtually unknown right now.

So, what is the most accurate analytics I can get? I just installed Google, but I was expecting some traffic and none was seen. The script given to me by Google, for the Analytics feature is a ,<Script> class file. I simple inserted it into the home.HTML file.

Example..
<body> </body>
<script> </script>

Would this be correct way to plug it in?

#21 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Put it like this. I built a Linux server for my job for monitoring backbone traffic. Someone wanted to run some tests against a node that's outside of our network so they assigned a public IP address to an interface on the server which made it visible outside of our network. Mind you, this server only has an IP address, no host name, so it's virtually invisible online unless someone looks for it. Well, low and behold, someone just happened to find the IP address online and saw that my server had an open VNC connection to it so they logged in and started dicking around on it. So yes, regardless of how popular our unknown your site is, there's people out there who spend day and night looking for servers to fuck with. I can take any IP address, private or public, and do a port scan on it to see what protocols and ports are open and available if I wanted to. Every time my port scan communicates with the IP address I'm "hitting" it.

The script seems incomplete. Not sure if it's HTML or PHP. If its' a script, then it's most likely PHP. I'm not familiar with Google's analytics platform, but I know people who use Statcrops for what you're looking for. Last time I checked it's free and it does not require a sript.

#22 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Also, to to Solarwinds' website and check them out. We use Solarwinds Orion here at the job to monitor our network and it's a beast. I know they offer tools (some are free) that will do what you need.

#23 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Nice one.
Thanks for the insight.

I would like to meet the nerds who would do such a thing and pull out their teeth. What would they do that for? Just learn how to hack? Also, my hit counts etc, have been very consistent for 3 months now. Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users