#1 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/hungrym4n

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

Here's a topic that I find pretty interesting and I'd like to hear other's opinions on the subject. Welcoming all serious and non-serious conversation.

Do you have any sample rules when you produce your own music? Like certain songs, artists, genres that you would not touch? And the reasons why you wouldn't?

#2 zmister

zmister

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

ONLY USE DRUMS

NOTHEING ELSE
  • HUNGRYMAN likes this

#3 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

As long as the end product sounds dope, why should there be any rules?
  • HUNGRYMAN, Professor Coneyack, SIGH and 1 other like this

#4 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

I personally will only use sounds I have on vinyl. I have no opposition to others using sounds from other sources but I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and finding my own shit. I'm sure I'll switch it up at some point but I have plenty of records to go through before that happens.
  • HUNGRYMAN and Dirty Cyclist like this

#5 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

For the most part I'd sample just about anything.

#6 MuteMaximus

MuteMaximus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Turtles.
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/mutemaximus

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

I usually don't touch, James Brown, Marvin Gaye and Al Green.
No particular reason.

But above that, i'll flip anything.
  • D'MosPhree, HUNGRYMAN and Dirty Cyclist like this

#7 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

I personally will only use sounds I have on vinyl. I have no opposition to others using sounds from other sources but I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and finding my own shit. I'm sure I'll switch it up at some point but I have plenty of records to go through before that happens.

Yeah, I feel you on this. I used nothing but vinyl for many years, mostly buying cheap records out of thrift shops. Sampling mp3's was foreign to me before doing these beat battles. I still love using all vinyl, but kinda came to the point where I would come across something I know I'll probably never on find vinyl or it wasn't ever pressed on vinyl. And it is nice when you throw on some unknown record and find that sample that someone used, but you never knew what it was.
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#8 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

At this point it's pretty much vinyl and cassettes only as a sample source, mostly for the grit you get from those sources. I also steer clear of sampling really popular acts like Michael Jackson, Al Green, Marvin Gaye etc.

#9 Robot Orchestra

Robot Orchestra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/robotorchestra

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

As far as Genres, Artists, Sources or Countries go, I pretty much sample anything that inspires me in any way.
I do have one unwritten sampling rule tho: I don't like to sample stuff that has been released later than, let's say 1979.

#10 Professor Coneyack

Professor Coneyack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Quality Music, Fine Art, Hand Crafted Beer, Audio Engineering, Lakers, Life
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/selectfewmusic805

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

I agree with you Robot..anything after the 80's just sounds cheesy, still some cutty samples out there..Im listieng to alot more world music

#11 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

I'll sample anything apart from soul and Jazz, I like trying to make things that shouldn't go together, work with each other. One rule I go by is trying be out the box, not do what everyone else is doing and try and look at what hasn't been done. I take stuff from the metal genre, purely because no one will go near it. By choice I will not do Jazz or Soul. Like Premo said, he started sampling Jazz to be different, so what are we still doing 20 years later, chomp, chomp, bite, bite. And like Dilla said, it's all good to find inspiration, just don't bite.
Hearing Robo on the 79 thing, just wondering if it's the production techniques changing, and just not being able to get a certain sound in your head, with what was produced from 1980 onwards, that vintage grit.

#12 Robot Orchestra

Robot Orchestra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/robotorchestra

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:26 AM

I'll sample anything apart from soul and Jazz, I like trying to make things that shouldn't go together, work with each other. One rule I go by is trying be out the box, not do what everyone else is doing and try and look at what hasn't been done. I take stuff from the metal genre, purely because no one will go near it. By choice I will not do Jazz or Soul. Like Premo said, he started sampling Jazz to be different, so what are we still doing 20 years later, chomp, chomp, bite, bite. And like Dilla said, it's all good to find inspiration, just don't bite.
Hearing Robo on the 79 thing, just wondering if it's the production techniques changing, and just not being able to get a certain sound in your head, with what was produced from 1980 onwards, that vintage grit.

Yeah, definitely. For me it's the whole aesthetics of sound that changed around that time.
I simply can't stand these standard electro 80s drums and most of the weak ass synths that go along with it.
Seems like most musicians in the 80's got overexcited by synths and forgot all about real instruments. Plus most songs sound way too clean for my taste. I love that 60s, 70s analog grit.

#13 AtomHeartMoo

AtomHeartMoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

i only sample stuff flylo and elaquent has put their hands on. what's not go to them it's not good for me neither

#14 Lazyboy

Lazyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/laaazy

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

As long as the end product sounds dope, why should there be any rules?

this is a huge: W O R D.

#15 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

What part of metal do you sample. That's pretty cool

Like the drums, vocals guitars ?

Just curios p, I won't bite

#16 AtomHeartMoo

AtomHeartMoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

i found this gem today. prolly no one sampled before
  • this is WACK likes this

#17 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

What part of metal do you sample. That's pretty cool

Like the drums, vocals guitars ?

Just curios p, I won't bite

Drums usually, sometimes bass, sometimes a whole looped section

#18 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Yeah, definitely. For me it's the whole aesthetics of sound that changed around that time.
I simply can't stand these standard electro 80s drums and most of the weak ass synths that go along with it.
Seems like most musicians in the 80's got overexcited by synths and forgot all about real instruments. Plus most songs sound way too clean for my taste. I love that 60s, 70s analog grit.

So true, Van Halen popped into mind then ha ha!!

#19 ClaytonG.

ClaytonG.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Music, dusty crates.....greenery
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/klayesounds

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

vinyl, tapes, mp3s, youtube video rips, field recordings. I just try and stay away from artists/records that have been sampled a lot.

#20 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

i do two diff things: usually i just find anything i think i could flip.

but sometimes, i intentionally look for the worst samples i can find to challenge myself to make something dope out of them...
when i started out digging, i had no clue how to do it at first and so a lot of the records i've owned the longest are shitty LP's of like Barbara Streisand and Captain and Teneille and the Dr. Zhivago soundtrack...so i figured, if i'm serious enough about this producing thing than i should be able to make something out of anything.

that's actually the main idea for a YouTube series i'm working on, it's gonna be a two-part thing where i find the worst records/soundtracks/anything music-related i can find, make fun of it, tear it a new asshole and then try to flip it into a beat--so it's kinda like a review/how-to thing, the first one i plan on doing is the ill-fated Donkey Kong Country TV show from back in the late '90s. so yeah, i can, will, and have attempted to flip everything i've been able to get my grubby little paws on--whether it be vinyl, CD, tape, mp3, sampled directly off my TV, field recordings, or anything else you can think of.
  • Dirty Cyclist and this is WACK like this

#21 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

Yeah, that's where it began for me, trying to make things that don't fit together go together. I usually steer away from soul because it's really over done today, even though I'm a fan. I like sampling jazz, but more the old old stuff with the vintage piano and upright bass, not so much the experimental, free-form stuff. I've sampled metal before and usually go for the guitar riffs, also tried programming double bass drums, which is really hard to get that same velocity. Here lately I've been searching through a lot of the 90's rock I grew up with, which is most untouched, even rock in general doesn't seem to get sampled much anymore, unless it's the 60's-70's. Definitely not a purist anymore when it comes down to what I take, and I feel at rate beatmakers are digging, there's not gonna be much left that hasn't been sampled from the more popular eras and genres that usually get sampled.

Haha! Yeah, I think the deal with the 80's was everyone thought that flying cars and the space age was just around the corner, so that was considered the new future sound. Plus those instruments and machines became smaller and more affordable. Kinda like where I live, in the late 90's all the electronic music (House, Trance, Techno, D&B, etc.) became really big and then died off over night in the early 2000's, now it's making a come back with all the dubstep kids.

i do two diff things: usually i just find anything i think i could flip.

but sometimes, i intentionally look for the worst samples i can find to challenge myself to make something dope out of them...
when i started out digging, i had no clue how to do it at first and so a lot of the records i've owned the longest are shitty LP's of like Barbara Streisand and Captain and Teneille and the Dr. Zhivago soundtrack...so i figured, if i'm serious enough about this producing thing than i should be able to make something out of anything.

that's actually the main idea for a YouTube series i'm working on, it's gonna be a two-part thing where i find the worst records/soundtracks/anything music-related i can find, make fun of it, tear it a new asshole and then try to flip it into a beat--so it's kinda like a review/how-to thing, the first one i plan on doing is the ill-fated Donkey Kong Country TV show from back in the late '90s. so yeah, i can, will, and have attempted to flip everything i've been able to get my grubby little paws on--whether it be vinyl, CD, tape, mp3, sampled directly off my TV, field recordings, or anything else you can think of.

That's the spirit, dude! Strike anywhere.

#22 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,506 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

i used to be about that nothing after 79 shit but really your limiting yourself theres PLENTY of good shit done in the 80's, as for rules i tend to not sample stuff if i think the song is amazing already, also stay away from stuff thats been tread all over already unless i really think i can do something new or intresting with it
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#23 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,026 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

i used to be about that nothing after 79 shit but really your limiting yourself theres PLENTY of good shit done in the 80's,

THIS!!!! Stop sleeping, some of the best beats have come out of sampling songs from the 80's. The Deele anyone?
  • HUNGRYMAN likes this

#24 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,105 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

THIS!!!! Stop sleeping, some of the best beats have come out of sampling songs from the 80's. The Deele anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfgV-6xxlqM

and don't forget this one.
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#25 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Why would anyone want to give away their secrets on here . I am proud of my digging--always have been. My diversity in musical taste has helped me out immensely in this endeavor.

#26 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Why would anyone want to give away their secrets on here . I am proud of my digging--always have been. My diversity in musical taste has helped me out immensely in this endeavor.

Progression my man! and if I let you know there is know way you would come up with what I do, we're all individual, far as I see helps the younger beat makers progress quicker.
  • HUNGRYMAN likes this

#27 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

ok ok I get that. I guess I dig keeping it 100 with obscurity.

#28 killa ego

killa ego

Rookie

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

only hard-line rule for me is don't sample a sample (bite.)

rules i use, #1 off the top of the head is if there's a drum machine on the track i don't fuck with it. generally i avoid distorted/fuzzed guitars too.
  • HUNGRYMAN likes this

#29 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, but geniuses like Mlib who are acquainted with the old school do not like to share the info. I always found it neat that I played it close like him.

#30 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

I was just opening up general conversation about tastes and opinions, not necessarily secrets. But as far as secrets go...

Progression my man! and if I let you know there is know way you would come up with what I do, we're all individual, far as I see helps the younger beat makers progress quicker.

Yes sir. I can understand why someone would want to keep a sample source secret for clearances or if they did something really clever with it. I feel though, people benefit from free knowledge tenfold. Originality seems like a hard-to-define, vague creature nowadays, in terms of how most ideas are built upon ideas that came from someone else, and they continue on and on and so forth. Especially in the realm of sample-based music. Of course there is originality in style, but it's not necessarily original with what exactly you take from someone else's music, as much as it is with what you do with it. I don't really feel that someone is gonna be "keeping it real" by not sharing sources or techniques, but more in how they use their creative imagination. So, I'm all for sharing free knowledge and ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users