• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

I'm never Hungry dude, my main priority is working with special needs kids, and I love making beats I suppose in a serious hobby type of attitude, takes my mind away from getting too focused on some of the issues I have to deal with. Makes it easier, to let go when I get home, rather than having an abuse case rolling around in my head, where I have no control over it. If by some chance I got offers, I'd probably do what Buck 65 has done, force a contract where it is totally on my terms, and have complete artistic control, but that won't present itself because that's not the reality I want played out.
  • D'MosPhree and MWBOOGIE like this

#62 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

Keep doing what you do then. I appreciate that you are there for them. Ive donated my time and artwork to similar causes. Special needs kids are special cause they see things so differently. Kind of like many of us.

#63 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:55 AM

I do not believe much in the copyright thing.

Everyone should get sued for their borrowed music. It's not their own.

does anyone else notice this dude's posts are starting to contradict each other?

#64 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

Yes, yes. The first post you grabbed out of context: it referenced the reasoning for Madlib and producers like himself not giving away their sources. I.e. the reason is that he does not wish to compromise his style and not bc he is worried about lawsuits....

The second post speaks for itself.

#65 HUNGRYMAN

HUNGRYMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/hungrym4n

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

This thread took a hell of a twist. Haha! Gonna have to find my rubber boots, shits getting deep. Nah, yall have fun with it. ;)
  • James Frank. likes this

#66 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

@James Frank--you accused me of being a troll. I think I have always been a troll. lol. Would you call ODB a troll, too? He still lives and breathes in my heart. I tend to look at music and culture through a bit of a anthropological/sociological lens. And I can be full of bullocks too. This is a neat forum because you have beat makers from all different areas with varying opinions.

Anyway, what do you guys think of some samples? I recall using a Stevie Wonder sample once from "Superstitious" and there is some stupid beer commercial that utilizes the exact sample, it is hauntingly terrible and unimaginative. For some reason it makes me ill at how thoughtless and "on the nose" that it is. I wonder how much it to to license the sample. That is a case where music is purely destroyed by its use in a commercial. Is anyone else bothered by music, tv the radio or at a sporting event?

#67 Annie Hall Records

Annie Hall Records

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

De La Soul were sued for sampling "The Turtles". One of the members of The Turtles teaches a college nearby and told a friend of mine, "If they (De La Soul) would have asked us for permission we would have let them do it (sample) for free".

We recently sampled Henry Rollins and he emailed "Isn't it a drag you can't come up with your own stuff?"

I don't know all the "rules", but one of them should be respect the artist you're exploiting.

#68 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thanks my man. You do not know how much meaning there is right there for me, personally.

#69 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

We recently sampled Henry Rollins and he emailed "Isn't it a drag you can't come up with your own stuff?"

you actually had Henry Rollins email you? that's kinda cool actually, i wish i was under people's radars like that...means you're doing something right.
  • Annie Hall Records likes this

#70 Annie Hall Records

Annie Hall Records

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

@James Frank
that was his response after we emailed him first

#71 Haz

Haz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/hazthemc

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

I like to go dig since i have a nice store near my pad,, other than that ill find old cartoons or download sample off these battles !

#72 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

I like to go dig since i have a nice store near my pad,, other than that ill find old cartoons or download sample off these battles !

so you sample like the theme songs or score from old cartoons? or just vocal snippets a lá DOOM? i do the same, but my samples are a little bit more contemporary being that they're a reflection of my childhood growing up in the '90s just like DOOM samples shit from the '60s + '70s because that's when he was growing up...

#73 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

@James Frank
that was his response after we emailed him first

so did he okay your use of his sample?

#74 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

I usually don't touch, James Brown, Marvin Gaye and Al Green.
No particular reason.

But above that, i'll flip anything.

That's a good rule.

#75 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

I was just opening up general conversation about tastes and opinions, not necessarily secrets. But as far as secrets go...

Yes sir. I can understand why someone would want to keep a sample source secret for clearances or if they did something really clever with it. I feel though, people benefit from free knowledge tenfold. Originality seems like a hard-to-define, vague creature nowadays, in terms of how most ideas are built upon ideas that came from someone else, and they continue on and on and so forth. Especially in the realm of sample-based music. Of course there is originality in style, but it's not necessarily original with what exactly you take from someone else's music, as much as it is with what you do with it. I don't really feel that someone is gonna be "keeping it real" by not sharing sources or techniques, but more in how they use their creative imagination. So, I'm all for sharing free knowledge and ideas.

Well said Hungryman. In this day an age it is going to be hard to keep things a secret. It was not hard for me to find out where some of the spoken word stuff came from on Advance Jazz. I just Googled phrases and up came the Lord Buckley website. Reminds me of when auto focus came into photography. A lot of pros said it was cheating and making it too easy, but obviously it was here to stay and I would guess 98% of pros use it. If you got game, you can adapt. Music samples would be harder to find, but the internet is full of people who want to help and share... the clearances issues make sense though.
  • HUNGRYMAN likes this

#76 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

De La Soul were sued for sampling "The Turtles". One of the members of The Turtles teaches a college nearby and told a friend of mine, "If they (De La Soul) would have asked us for permission we would have let them do it (sample) for free".

I don't know all the "rules", but one of them should be respect the artist you're exploiting.

I like Henry, but I'm not crazy about that quote. I don't know how you used his sample, but the way Madlib uses Lord Buckley to start Advance Jazz shows that sometimes the whole is more than the parts. Plus everything Henry has done was built on what came before.

How much trouble can you get in if you sample a bunch of stuff and then just post it for free on the web? I got to think it is only when you start moving units that the lawyers start to care.

EDIT: Annie Hall Records, That mask for Elegant Mess is great!

#77 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

of course the original artists need to be compensated if you use their stuff and you make some money . I would not my work stolen.. some of my photos have been "borrowed" and that sucks..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users