• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

haha, i started volunteering at my campus radio station for this upcoming semester...and today when i went in they just randomly had me do a set, despite the fact i've never been on air before or knew what the hell i was doing lol. needless to say, it was both good and bad.

good because i played an hour-long set, broken up into two halves: first, a half-hour of my own shit from my personal archives both released and unreleased, and some stuff from others including JJ DOOM, FlyLo, Jonwayne, and even some dudes on here whose mixtapes i just had laying in my iTunes (specifically, i think i played tracks from: Linkrust, Constrobuz, turquoisecrown, and someone else i can't remember).

bad because i had <5 mins or so to prepare for it, so i just literally was grabbing anything i could find off of my list to put into a set...obviously it's as nerve-racking as it sounds. then, on top of this i hadn't come prepared-- so i didn't really have "clean" radio-friendly versions of a lot of the tracks i wanted to play...so i had to keep my finger on that mute-out button like i was fucking Harry Truman in the war room or something lol, physically deadening the air on those exact moments where there were swears or the station would've been screwed by FCC regulations and what-not. definitely a lot of pressure the entire time i was up there on the boards...and nobody was there to shadow me or show me what i was supposed to do, so i ended up mixing a lot of tracks Madlib-style with fade-ins and outs-- only going on the mic to talk up the songs i was playing twice the whole hour, which i guess is a big no-no or something in DJ-world.

overall, it almost gave me a heart attack...but it was dope getting to bang my own shit out as well as all the great stuff in this community. unfortunately, i think the P.D. called up right when my set ended to yell at the girl who let me on lol, but whatever.

-jf
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#2 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

Nice dude! 1190 is the shit. Bring me in to do a guest DJ set and I'll rock all wax the whole hour.

#3 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Nice dude! 1190 is the shit. Bring me in to do a guest DJ set and I'll rock all wax the whole hour.

for sure, man. i'll have to do that once i get more clout there, and i'm not just the mousy new kid that nobody knows by name lol. i know Basementalism is their main (and possibly only) specialty hip-hop show they play, and that's on saturdays from 4 to like 6-7. i'll start asking around, and get you updates when i hear new stuff about guests coming in and how that works.

#4 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

lol i need to learn how to blend SOUNDS i have all this music but my mixes are hella boring because i just fade out and fade in... although that works for me there are people out there who want shit mixed Professional DJ style i just dont have time to learn, i like being put on the spot to come up with good music but that shit can surley work against you! good stuff anyhow at least u have the experience!

#5 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:30 AM