#631 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

All white people are priviligiled. That guy's a liar!

"Minorities mad, who you foolin, B?
White people's skin is their jewelry"

Free Jazzmataz - Das Racist

#632 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

Just figuring out that it's 50 cent who says "better that than a whole in ya head" on Watts. Been trying to figure that out since I picked up the vinyl. Thank you instrumentals.
  • GC90, Chason and Dirty Cyclist like this

#633 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

I kinda got excited when I saw this:  http://www.youtube.c...010WNWbWJ5PikgC

• Dirty Cyclist likes this

#634 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

Its kind of strange seeing ST/RC posting up their whole albums on the youtube. Last week I saw Madvillain was posted as well. Maybe they'll start laying off some of the fan made videos...

• Dirty Cyclist and MWBOOGIE like this

#635 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Word.

#636 Yvon

Yvon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

Not sure about fan videos but it seems like they made an agreement with brother google.

• MWBOOGIE likes this

#637 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

They would rather get ad revenue than nothing at all when people upload themselves or download elsewhere. I can't imagine them stopping the Nazi reports on fans trying to share music

#638 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

simple pleasures of chicken

• GC90 and James Frank. like this

#639 ST Bot

ST Bot

STMB Official

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

They would rather get ad revenue than nothing at all when people upload themselves or download elsewhere. I can't imagine them stopping the Nazi reports on fans trying to share music

Stones Throw has one video with several million views that has generated $ 0.26 in ad revenue, and a few others in the millions of views that have generated about a hundred bucks each over the course of a few years.  I can see how real life members of the Nazi party would not go for that.  

#640 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

the un-sustainability of streaming content is staggering. it's insane that I have to sit through so many ads on youtube and yet the providers of the content are making virtually nothing off of it. I think they need to reevaluate the value of youtube ad space. how can multiple millions of views (2/3rds of which get hit with ads) translate to less than a dollar, it's highway robbery for piggybacking onto valuable content.

#641 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

Stones Throw has one video with several million views that has generated $ 0.26 in ad revenue, and a few others in the millions of views that have generated about a hundred bucks each over the course of a few years.  I can see how real life members of the Nazi party would not go for that.  

wow, that is fucked...

I for one have some ST vinyl and a bunch of actual CDs along with my Drip MP3s. I like to support record companies...

#642 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

YouTube's a tricky place. 

i've heard of (and met) people who have much less exposure and are still able to live off of generating web content and being paid off of ad revenue alone-- i wonder why that's not the case for ST.

• GC90 likes this

#643 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

YouTube's a tricky place. 

i've heard of (and met) people who have much less exposure and are still able to live off of generating web content and being paid off of ad revenue alone-- i wonder why that's not the case for ST.

Yeah I'm thinking this is a bit of BS on ST Bots part (sorry, I still love you ST Bot!) They aren't making millions of dollars, but I can't imagine them making only pennies or hundreds on some of these videos. The more content/etc they put up on YT with ad revenue the number will only increase as well. My guess is ST Bot is possibly referring to older videos that have millions of views but were there before the whole new YT ad system went in place maybe?

My beef with ST's digital policies is that I spend a shitload of money on vinyl, CDs, shirts, iPad holder, etc etc etc and they will still send legal threats or try to remove Youtube accounts hosting a song or two that is on the more rare side/etc. Forgot which article mentioned it, but I believe at one point Stones Throw was like in the top 10-20 DMCA take down notice thing which sucks. Hate feeling like I'm breaking the law or going to get sued if I try to spread the word of ST's music. 

tl;dr read my signature 

• James Frank. likes this

#644 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

simple pleasures of chicken

#645 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

Yeah I'm thinking this is a bit of BS on ST Bots part (sorry, I still love you ST Bot!) They aren't making millions of dollars, but I can't imagine them making only pennies or hundreds on some of these videos. The more content/etc they put up on YT with ad revenue the number will only increase as well. My guess is ST Bot is possibly referring to older videos that have millions of views but were there before the whole new YT ad system went in place maybe?

My beef with ST's digital policies is that I spend a shitload of money on vinyl, CDs, shirts, iPad holder, etc etc etc and they will still send legal threats or try to remove Youtube accounts hosting a song or two that is on the more rare side/etc. Forgot which article mentioned it, but I believe at one point Stones Throw was like in the top 10-20 DMCA take down notice thing which sucks. Hate feeling like I'm breaking the law or going to get sued if I try to spread the word of ST's music. 

tl;dr read my signature 

i know i've mentioned it before, but the only copyright strike i've ever gotten for one of my channels was after i had (foolishly) uploaded one of Jay Dee's beat tapes...Track 13 happened to be the instrumental for "Strip Club" off of Jaylib, albeit in a very primitive mix, but it was enough for them to send me one of those "infringement" notices against my account.

i'm not mad about it though, ST is my favorite label and one of the very few i actually support financially by buying shit from them, but that definitely was a thing that happened to me...

tl;dr read his signature ^

#646 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

Yeah I've received like 2-3 of those on my old Youtube account, one more strike and my entire Youtube channel would have been removed. I learned my lesson back then, Stones Throw doesn't want people to hear their music without giving them money. Fortunately nowadays Stones Throw doesn't need to do takedown notices, now they just put ads on your own videos and collect that money. I like that Stones Throw provides a platform for all of these amazing artists, but as a business they can fuck off really. They will piss/moan about samples not clearing or having to rerelease a record because there was someone complaining (see Jonwayne's first cassette) but they will do the same shit to others where their stuff is being used. If it wasn't for the hypocrisy I don't think I'd be as pissed anyway. 

On a different end, I did have Now Again/Lambo request I pull some stuff off my site before but they were very friendly/nice about the request (besides Now Again starting off with a stock legal sounding e-mail). 

Edit: Also to continue my bitching, I noticed sometime last year I was blocked/banned from Stones Throw's Facebook account which has always been a bummer (can't comment on any posts there, super weak). I think this might have happened when I shared a Youtube link or something probably, just another example of ST being lame to those who've spent (and continue to spend lol) thousands of dollars on their stuff lol

Really wouldn't be surprised if this gets deleted/edited as well  :wacko:

#647 ST Bot

ST Bot

STMB Official

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

Yeah I'm thinking this is a bit of BS on ST Bots part (sorry, I still love you ST Bot!) They aren't making millions of dollars, but I can't imagine them making only pennies or hundreds on some of these videos ... My guess is ST Bot is possibly referring to older videos that have millions of views but were there before the whole new YT ad system went in place maybe?

GC, I didn't post BS.  I looked at that info right after I read that "make the ad revenue" line, and posted what I saw.  The 26¢ video is from 2010. 

• Dirty Cyclist likes this

#648 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

GC, I didn't post BS.  I looked at that info right after I read that "make the ad revenue" line, and posted what I saw.  The 26¢ video is from 2010.

http://youtubecreato...nt-ads.html?m=1

http://youtubecreato...ing-to.html?m=1

https://support.goog...531367?hl=en-GB

Whoever is running your YouTube channel might want to read some of this stuff if they haven't already, its hard to believe a video with several million hits with ads on and set correctly has only made 26 cents (unless people just stopped watching it since 2010)
  • James Frank. likes this

#649 MattCoops

MattCoops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/mattcoopshiphop

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

I'm behind the powercurve. I didn't know you could make money off YouTube. I thought it was just for posting videos.

I seen commercials on the start of vids, but I thought that was just YouTube doing that for money. I didn't know users had a pot to share in profit.

#650 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

^Business consulting for free son

#651 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:37 AM

http://ytcalc.com -- Not sure how the math works here but according to this 2 mil vid worth 600-2500 in ad revenue based on today's advertising system

This also doesn't even include the money ST gets from royalties on videos where a ST song is used and auto detected (which then places an ad on your video, even if you don't want it there). ST hasn't sent as many takedown notices on YouTube (from what I've heard) since they now get money from this ad revenue. I'm sure the old habit of cracking down on some vids is still happening though.

Back on topic, while the new FG video wasn't as slick as the first three I think this was better since not so corny (helps that this was best song that has video so far if you exclude Thuggin production).

#652 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

... My beef with ST's digital policies is that I spend a shitload of money on vinyl, CDs, shirts, iPad holder, etc etc etc ...

Enough already dude. Your shitloads of purchase don't get you extra privileges.  It doesn't give you rights to give your shitloads of ST material away publicly.  It doesn't even get you a special cookie. It just gets you shitloads of whatever you decided to buy.  Let ST handle the ST business.  It's sorta been working.  And besides, it's not like there isn't bazillions of shitloads of other shit for you to share.

I believe everyone now understands your opinion on youtube management but at some point you got to realize that you just start sound like the guy Louis CK is talking about here: http://youtu.be/uEY58fiSK8E?t=2m16s

Back to the Piñata please.

#653 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

^^ he said special cookie

#654 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

Let ST handle the ST business.

if they only got $.26 for a million+ viewed video, maybe they need a little help...

What could make sense is for fan videos to be uploaded to the official ST YouTube channel.

• GC90 likes this

#655 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

What could make sense is for fan videos to be uploaded to the official ST YouTube channel.

They did that with the ST video contest which was cool, its too bad they don't make that a more frequent contest (they get ad money while video maker gets publicity, may even be making official video in future)

At the end of the day my complaint is that ST as a business treats its fans like shit when it comes to digital stuff which sucks.

Back to Pinata, I wish they would do a video for Real :)

#656 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

SURELY this is the last video. i couldn't believe even this one came out.

I mean I'm down, but it seems like a lot at this point, albums been out for a while now

#657 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

at this point, albums been out for a while now

You heard it in March, but this album is still reaching new people.  They don't have Magna Carta budget, so it's probably reaching a lot of people through word of mouth.

I wouldn't mind a video for Higher or Pinata.  Just hope it's a better video than this junk.  

#658 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

You heard it in March, but this album is still reaching new people.

March? Has it really been that long? Where did my year go?

#659 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

I mean, 5 months is a decent amount of time. It's gotten a decent amount of press. It's on a bunch of best-of-the-year-so-far lists.

I guess 4 vids isn't a lot though. 5 would surprise me. But my vote would be for High too.

Maybe it's just because the first two videos came out 2 years ago.

#660 GC90

GC90

waxramble.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

Maybe they will go all Beyonce/Pete Marriott and do a video for every song

• James Frank. and Dirty Cyclist like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users