Photo

I got some most excellent big news to share!

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Thou shall not snitch

#32 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Is there a "#realhiphop" cult?

This sample discussion is peculiar and a bunch of nonsense.
Same thing with the hash mark. In many ways its the new copyright/trademark logo.
Incorporating a corporate trend.

props though P. Mart

#33 MellowYouth

MellowYouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

reading this makes it very clear that hiphop is not what it used to be. i agree with pete about not putting all the classic hiphop artists on blast and handing over every sample they used. could be seen as handing someone your masamune or lifelong weapon of choice "just to borrow" . if this is just for fun, sure give out the sample. but fuck, i wouldnt expect someone that has NOT cleared all of the samples used for a track to just hand over the recipe when i ask

and thats crazy to hear about whosampled and the lawsuit it brought on @_@ that sounds like a nightmare for real. and the fans themselves did everything for the record companies. down to the obscure samples that just have a single shot. if all thats not cleared, could lead to some MONEY down the road... :/

i really stopped by to give pete some props

peace

#34 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Spread the word! Pete Marriott's #‎REALHIPHOP album is coming! November 8, 2013! http://youtu.be/wrk2iUcrzaY
  • Crystal Joker likes this

#35 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Spread the word! Pete Marriott's #‎REALHIPHOP album is coming! November 8, 2013! http://youtu.be/wrk2iUcrzaY

RIGHT ON JACK!!!!!!!!!!!

#36 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

The RZA is turning into an interesting turncoat on many issues. He doesnt want to pay for his samples.

But the oddest:

"RZA believes sampling needs to be regulated, starting with standardized fees and government oversight. Producers often have to give 50 to 100 percent of any publishing revenue to the original artist they're sampling. RZA would like to see a new system where the publishing is equally split between the new producer and original artist, and in which session players from the initial recording even get paid again. "All this publishing was taken away from the artists," he says, "and that kind of raped the hip- hop industry."

#37 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

yo mwboogie you know that 'corny sound from Dr. Octagon' has been sampled by a couple of other people, right? it's been around before octagonecologist

#38 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

I see how pathetic the younger "rapper/producers" are

isn't Primate like still a teenager or something lol? & i'm not sure how you relate OFWGKTA to samples, they don't really sample much if at all...they do their thing with those shitty stock FL Studio beats. i will agree that i've seen way more talent on these boards though, that's for damn sure.

#39 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

well I should stay clear as being really old. But, I saw that sucker Tyler jock a sample utilized by Madlib.

Thats kind of the definition of a sucker.

#40 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

isn't Primate like still a teenager or something lol?

I turn 17 tomorrow.

yyeaaahhhhhhhh soonnn
  • James Frank. and MWBOOGIE like this

#41 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

well I should stay clear as being really old. But, I saw that sucker Tyler jock a sample utilized by Madlib.

Thats kind of the definition of a sucker.

ohhhhh, but i thought Madlib didn't own the sample? isn't that what you were arguing in the other thread, that the original artist deserves to get shine and paid while the curator of the sample is SOL and deserves nothing in the form of credit or recognition???

you're contradicting yourself once again, man. so now you're saying it is okay for the artists you like to do whatever they please, but if anyone coming up post-2000 does anything they're "pathetic" and "whack"...i see. well i'd be hard-pressed to find anyone pissed off at Flying Lotus/Captain Murphy flipping the intro track from that same exact Cortex album, but according to you 'dat shit wuz wakk' cause Madlib already touched a track from it...after DJ Cam already did in '97 btw. go figure...

#42 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

seriously you're just feeding the troll shit i love broking compared to this hateful clown. Pete marriott, sorry your thread got jacked, peace

#43 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Sorry Grifty--I am not in love with Kanye like you.

Madlib get carte blance from me Frank the younger. Untouchable in my opinion. That kind of consideration comes with age and understanding. And yeah, do not get mad because you found the internet and a bevy of samples used by good producers who made special albums yet Madlib actually fell upon the record himself.

You young kids act like this stuff is so cut-and-dry there is an artistic and business/legal consideration. Try selling the music and get back to me. You cannot have one without the other.

As for everyone else--well they should consider finding new shit to bite. Two sides to every coin my dude. I thought this was an artist's forum. From what I am seeing there is less about music or you think that this whole thing is "underground". It's a bit more complicated than you believe. I respect the older artists and musicians--and you will not convince us older folk that your brand is better.

#44 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

let's get this thread back on track.

• D'MosPhree likes this

#45 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

, but according to you 'dat shit wuz wakk' cause Madlib already touched a track from it...after DJ Cam already did in '97 btw. go figure...

Have you compared how these samples were used at all? I barfed when I heard the T. the Creator stuff.
Also, a thought comes to mind. Not really a hater but, why would anyone want to make a remix of a Madlib joint. He has already blessed it: why change it up?

But it is this generation of "beatmakers" that had given rise to the likes of Pharell and Will I am. Obviously not much of that loot to go around. Opinions can be two-sided.

James Frank--at least get your info right, mane. You are not enlightening me with what you posted. Madlib was the first to select it then--it was sampled by others...

#46 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

James Frank--You do not feel that it is stupid that all these producers utilize the same sample. It is totally corny in my opinion that people go on youtube and seek out the same sample and play it over and over and over. That is not art.

#47 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,982 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:16 AM

James Frank--You do not feel that it is stupid that all these producers utilize the same sample. It is totally corny in my opinion that people go on youtube and seek out the same sample and play it over and over and over. That is not art.

Yeah, because the same samples weren't getting constantly flipped between 1986-1993. SMH.
  • James Frank. and DoomRustler like this

#48 DoomRustler

DoomRustler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Beat making... Pengweed with no seeds like underground shit horrors from the 70s on bit torrent
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/doomrustler

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

I make the best BBQ sauce in the world... people buy it from me cause they cant get it else where... the profits keep me and my family fed.. though i didn't create it solely, it was a recipe handed down through my family... we all put our little twist on it while making dead sure we keep to the traditional methods used in the past.... this is what makes the sauce so damn tasty... it continues to sell... i am so proud of it i want to share the recipe with the world so that they may saturate the market with poor substitutes at a lower price and devalue my family's traditions and ethics ... cause i am nice like that and would hate to be called a dick about it.... if only people stopped trying to copy my bbq sauce and come up with a better ketchup....

#49 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Good job Longfellow, but to play along, my family does own a trademark on a special sauce coincidentally. Its for steak marinate, btw.

Their restaurant feeds a lot of people (workers) and does not make a great deal of money. So nothing really to laugh about. I'd post reviews, but you will have to trust me, consistently the best from people on each coast.

Just as in House music--it is all about the mix. DJ Red Alert sounded like Red Alert for a reason. Oh I forgot most of you haven't a clue about who he is.

#50 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

eating a bbq steak sammich wit extra sauce while looping the loop digga

geech!!!!!!!!

#51 DoomRustler

DoomRustler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Beat making... Pengweed with no seeds like underground shit horrors from the 70s on bit torrent

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Good job Longfellow, but to play along, my family does own a trademark on a special sauce coincidentally. Its for steak marinate, btw.

Their restaurant is consistently rated in the top ten in the country; and feeds a lot of people. So nothing really to laugh about. I'd post reviews, but you will have to trust me, consistently the best from people on each coast.

Just as in House music--it is all about the mix. DJ Red Alert sounded like Red Alert for a reason. Oh I forgot most of you haven't a clue about who he is.

Wow... I don't really make sauce... i don't really know DJ red alert...and i really don't listen to house music...

But yeah.. i get high and i amuse myself....

#52 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Wow... I don't really make sauce... i don't really know DJ red alert...and i really don't listen to house music...

HOUSE MUSIC IS GREAT EVERY 14 MONTHS!!!!!! GIVE IT A TRY

#53 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Well like music, you have to pay for it. Kind of like how people used to pay for their music.

#54 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

HOUSE MUSIC IS GREAT EVERY 14 MONTHS!!!!!! GIVE IT A TRY

I look at it like this: there is great joy in discovering that you dug and found music and later found that DOOM flipped the same joint. But who cares when you can just go on line.

#55 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

Posted Image

this is the perfect example for what i'm arguing. the whole point of sampling is re-contextualization of another's work to further the development of both art and the human species in general. meanwhile this litigious dink above me wants it to be where hip-hop stagnates in the '90s because nobody can sample anything that's been sampled before and everyone has to pay everyone for everything...oh, but Madlib, himself and other dudes from his era get a pass cause they "invented" it...foh with your nose-thumbing hipster BS. clearly you're way too out of touch with hip-hop to have a valid opinion on anything. all the dudes you name off as being the gods of this genre made their careers off of not paying for samples-- well, what about this piece by Jaune Quick-to-See Smith above? should she have to pay Pepsi, Kafka's suriving relatives, Picasso's estate, the makers of the paint she used, Disney, and Ub Iwerks? get over yourself, you're not as smart as you think you are.

#56 DoomRustler

DoomRustler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

Well like music, you have to pay for it. Kind of like how people used to pay for their music.

We all pay in the end...

#57 DoomRustler

DoomRustler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

What i wanna know is... when do i get paid...

#58 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

What i wanna know is... when do i get paid...

Now your wit is paying off...your words did not fall upon deaf ears.

#59 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Dude I saw you love cartoon breaks from the 90s since that was when you were a child and the cartoons were as good as those from the sixties. I will personally send you an LP (presuming you know what a turntable is) so long as you realize that the stuff you say is not really that bright and a tad bit sophomoric. I do not doubt that you are an interesting fellow with your blossoming studies of sight and sound--but, homeboy, sometimes things are better left unsaid: I have donated my works to charity and only then learned how much they are worth. Until then why dont you go look up some Banksy and jerk off and tell me how great his art is or was and that it is so evolved. I wont get into that discussion with you. I really do not know you in the least.

Posted Image

#60 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

...foh with your nose-thumbing hipster BS.

huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users