#301 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

If I may just step in:
^A basically flawless insight on this whole Kanye situation.

lol this dude is a fucking uncle tom !! looking for white validation 

#302 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:38 PM

'What would Jesus do?'

Smoke crack...of course!

#303 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

So he plans on releasing a 3 hour spoken word album. Not to be outdone by an extended version, 24 hour.

Uhhhhyyyaahhhh.

http://www.dailymail...HOURS-long.html

#304 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

jeezus, talk about egotistical.  who the fuck is that arrogant to think people would want to hear your bullshit for three hours?  i wonder how badly the dickriders over at KTT are foarming at the mouth with this news lol.

• GC90 likes this

#305 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

enhanced-26733-1399220356-11.jpg

• mangoes cash and GC90 like this

#306 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,102 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

^ That's more like it!!

#307 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:53 PM

Oh Yeezuz.

#308 iamsodaft

iamsodaft

Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cientistamusic

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hold My Liquor is my favorite track from Yeezus right now. It seems to change every few months or so, but I really like the sci-fi vibes that Hold My Liquor gives off when it gets really instrumental.

#309 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

French Montana recorded in the studio I record at just two weeks ago. Not much a fan of cheese, but if he's recorded in the studio where I wrecked; then good on him. I killed that mic.

#310 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

any updates on the spoken word thing, or the Yeezus film that's supposed to be epically stupid?

just shots of horses in fields and him on stage hamming it up.

#311 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

Will probably be as shitty as that other long video thing he made. Think it was for some album or something, the concept/acting was pretty horrible. 

#312 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

Will probably be as shitty as that other long video thing he made. Think it was for some album or something, the concept/acting was pretty horrible. 

yeah, the one he made for MBDTF?  it was just pretentious and douchy, like watching a wannabe make a "deep" artistic film.  it doesn't help make a good film when you have no prior film experience whatsoever, yet still insist to write, co-direct and star in it.

#313 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

what other rap album could you even sort of consider to be "pretentious and douchey"?  what does that even mean though high art vs low art argument???  rap album one is the closest thing i can consider to mbdtf.  if you can manage to take him seriously he's done some breathtaking shit with hip hop in my opinion.  taken it to places it never dreamed of. it's funny that he uses a crimson sample for power because in a way i feel like he's the "prog" hip-hop option right now.  "pretentious" and "douchey" are words that get thrown around for them too, and yes, and genesis and rush.  Stuff that i guess takes itself too seriously as art.  Music is supposed to be disposable for "real" heads to accept it is that what it is?  i dunno.  i like both sides (the chuck berry's of the world AND the king crimsons)

#314 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

it was just pretentious and douchy, like watching a wannabe make a "deep" artistic album.

Yep that's what I was thinking of. You can pretty much apply the same description to all of his albums and that's my opinion of him as a musician (at least as a rapper). 

#315 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

i'll add the footnote that i did really like MBDTF, actually.  as far as hip-hop is concerned, that's a pretty straightforward album with great production and (mostly) solid lyrics...i dug what he was trying to do at least.  now he's gone off the deep end because of all the praise he got from that album though, so maybe it wasn't so great for him in the long-run.

#316 iamsodaft

iamsodaft

Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

I don't think he's gone off the deep end. He's just got more "power." He is even more in the public eye these days. Yeezus did really well and he's with one of the most beautiful celebs in the US. He is a bit of dick, that's for sure, but I think now that he has this HUGE influence, he is trying to speak what he thinks in his mind every day, and it is a bit... out there to say the least. It is like he has all of these ideas, but he doesn't know how to articulate them properly to where they don't rub people the wrong way. He's almost overly passionate about what he feels, so it comes off as dick-ish, which is understandable.

As long as he keeps cranking out dope albums, I do not give a shit personally.

#317 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Art, Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography....
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/leftfoot1st

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

blah blah blah blah blah....

• GC90 and James Frank. like this

#318 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

sorry, but you're totally on the wrong forum if you think Kanye West is this shining light guiding our generation...he's not.  he'll probably go down in history that way because of his ungodly popularity, but he's really not deep or innovative in any way like you are saying he is.  his ideas are trite and pseudo-artsy, but anyone with a pair of special x-ray They Live sunglasses can see through the facade and see that he's just a douche that makes good music only when he actually tries... (that's pretty much what this whole thread's been about, just check the past several pages to read more about how we've broken his persona down).

with that said, i really wouldn't mind this if he were still making good decisions musically, but now even that shit's gone to his head where he doesn't produce his own beats anymore, he tries going all "conceptual" and "philosophical" to trick dumb people into thinking he's saying something, and even though he takes risks, they're incredibly stupid risks that really aren't all that "risky" when you consider all the underground artists he's stealing from that really are "way out there".  so yeah, he's not cranking out dope albums at this point in his career, and that's unfortunate because he is a pretty talented producer and rapper when he wants to be...but he sees himself as entrenched in the fine arts like he's Jeff Koons or something, and that's just not the case when you have a piece of shit album like Yeezus was.

also, lol @ the kanye-apologist rhetoric; "he's almost overly passionate about what he feels, so it comes off as dick-ish, which is understandable."

#319 iamsodaft

iamsodaft

Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

sorry, but you're totally on the wrong forum if you think Kanye West is this shining light guiding our generation

I never said that. But I really like Yeezus, and it was received really well by critics, so, by a lot of people's standards, the album was dope. But most people who know a lot of about the genre (and music in general), know that what Kanye was doing wasn't really different. It was different for him, but not different in music as a whole.

I never said he was deep or innovative either. I am just saying the he has all of these ideas in his head that make sense to him, ideas that he is really passionate about, but projects them in a way that makes him look dickish or crazy. I really have no idea what he is talking about when he goes on those rants, mainly his recent one on Sway's show. Personally, I think he should stick to producing and rapping, but he'd rather do his fashion shit than make beats anymore, which sucks. I think the last beat he made, or did more than place other people's beats together, was on Pusha T's album. And before that, he hadn't done a beat since "Otis."

#320 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

#321 iamsodaft

iamsodaft

Rookie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

I love that video, man. Good times  :D

#322 Berry Woods

Berry Woods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

Sometimes art becomes a viable product, and that is ok because it allows artists to live to create more art. The problems start when product is maqsqueraded as art, and that is where KW is at now. History will regard him as a pop fart that lingered around a little too long before he wafted away. Shame because he is talented as a musician (fucking awful rapper) and could have built a legacy like Madlib/JD if he hadn't gone bent on money, fame and the leather joggers brah, the leather joggers.
  • mangoes cash and GC90 like this

#323 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:07 PM

I don't think he's gone off the deep end. He's just got more "power." He is even more in the public eye these days. Yeezus did really well and he's with one of the most beautiful celebs in the US. He is a bit of dick, that's for sure, but I think now that he has this HUGE influence, he is trying to speak what he thinks in his mind every day, and it is a bit... out there to say the least. It is like he has all of these ideas, but he doesn't know how to articulate them properly to where they don't rub people the wrong way. He's almost overly passionate about what he feels, so it comes off as dick-ish, which is understandable.

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Shame because he is talented as a musician (fucking awful rapper) and could have built a legacy like Madlib/JD if he hadn't gone bent on money, fame and the leather joggers brah, the leather joggers.

Yep, would have been cool if he kept doing what James posted

#324 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Sometimes art becomes a viable product, and that is ok because it allows artists to live to create more art. The problems start when product is maqsqueraded as art, and that is where KW is at now. History will regard him as a pop fart that lingered around a little too long before he wafted away. Shame because he is talented as a musician (fucking awful rapper) and could have built a legacy like Madlib/JD if he hadn't gone bent on money, fame and the leather joggers brah, the leather joggers.

well said.  Charlamagne tha God or whatever his name is had the best criticism of Yeezus when he said, "You can't be saying 'fuck corporations' when you're in bed with them'..."  and that statement could be interpreted either for his $100 plain white T's, his multimillion dollar endorsement deal with Adidas, his "IDGAF" album packaging still being sold in Walmart and Best Buy, his hundred-dollar concert ticket prices, or his affiliation with the worst family of aristocrats in the public eye currently...the proof's all in the pudding.  that's why i don't get people who stick up for him, like if they side with Mr. Cool then maybe they'll be cool too...idk.  it's just weird to me, because it's not like anything he's done says that he gives a fuck about the public or even his fans.  dude's afraid to even go on record saying that he enjoys the music of Madlib or J Dilla, that's how much of his BS persona is a facade.

• GC90 likes this

#325 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

well said.  Charlamagne tha God or whatever his name is had the best criticism of Yeezus when he said, "You can't be saying 'fuck corporations' when you're in bed with them'..."  and that statement could be interpreted either for his $100 plain white T's, his multimillion dollar endorsement deal with Adidas, his "IDGAF" album packaging still being sold in Walmart and Best Buy, his hundred-dollar concert ticket prices, or his affiliation with the worst family of aristocrats in the public eye currently...the proof's all in the pudding.  that's why i don't get people who stick up for him, like if they side with Mr. Cool then maybe they'll be cool too...idk.  it's just weird to me, because it's not like anything he's done says that he gives a fuck about the public or even his fans.  dude's afraid to even go on record saying that he enjoys the music of Madlib or J Dilla, that's how much of his BS persona is a facade.

Did you even listen to New Slaves? Charlamagne apparently didn't. He didn't say "fuck corporations", the whole song is about Kanye trying to break through the racial oppression of corporations by taking control of them himself.

"I'd rather be a dick than a swallower"

It's not exactly the most eloquent way to put it, (Kanye is a vulgar dude) but it's a pretty clear message. Listen to the song. Read the lyrics at least.

#326 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:40 PM

Did you even listen to New Slaves? Charlamagne apparently didn't. He didn't say "fuck corporations", the whole song is about Kanye trying to break through the racial oppression of corporations by taking control of them himself.

"I'd rather be a dick than a swallower"

It's not exactly the most eloquent way to put it, (Kanye is a vulgar dude) but it's a pretty clear message. Listen to the song. Read the lyrics at least.

"New Slaves" - Verse 2:

"I throw these Maybach keys
I wear my heart on the sleeve
I know that we the new slaves
I see the blood on the leaves/
I see the blood on the leaves
They throwing hate at me
Want me to stay at ease
Fuck you and your corporation
Y'all niggas can't control me/"

also, here he is responding directly to the claim i just made in my last post, to CTG's face (well, kinda-- i mean, he sorta avoids making eye contact with him the entire time and pretends like he can just ignore him).

his response is...about how when he went back to perform in Chicago, God told him he needed to wear a leather kilt...and A&R's are preventing him from changing the world with his vision like he did when he released a pair of sneakers... ?  but yeah, he totally says verbatim in the song "fuck corporations" Primate, idk what you're talking about lol.

• GC90 likes this

#327 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 11:04 PM

Every time I watch a video with Kanye trying to speak seriously on a topic I feel like I've killed some brain cells. This can be used towards pretty much anything he ever says

#328 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:29 AM

but yeah, he totally says verbatim in the song "fuck corporations" Primate, idk what you're talking about lol.

I knew you'd post that lyric. I hoped that you wouldn't, but you did.

:"Fuck you and your corporation" is not the same as "fuck corporations". In that video you posted, he says "I'm not denouncing the corporations, I'm denouncing the people who work at the corporations at that time."When he says "you", he's speaking directly to those who run corporations that oppress people into becoming "New Slaves". He's not speaking about the idea of corporations being bad. He's speaking against those who abuse the system, not the system itself.

If he said "fuck corporations" it would've looked like this:

"I throw these Maybach keys
I wear my heart on the sleeve
They throwing hate at me
Want me to stay at ease
Fuck corporations
Y'all niggas can't control me/"

He's basically saying "I know how the game works, I see how you're trying to control me, but fuck you man, y'all can't control me". And by saying "I'd rather be a dick than a swallower", he's expressing a desire to elevate himself higher than the oppressors or at least put himself on their level of power/influence.. The song isn't about how all corporations are inherently bad, it's about how certain corporations and organizations (DEA and CCA) are conspiring against black people to make them "New Slaves".

#329 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Art, Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography....
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/leftfoot1st

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:48 AM

Boycott this thread... shit is a dub.

• DJ Primate, GC90 and James Frank. like this

#330 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

When he says "you", he's speaking directly to those who run corporations that oppress people into becoming "New Slaves". He's not speaking about the idea of corporations being bad. He's speaking against those who abuse the system, not the system itself.

yeah, because he totally isn't abusing the system or using a falsely revolutionary attitude in his promotion right now to goad people into buying $500 sneakers, $100 plain white tees and whatever the fuck else he pulls out of his ass and calls a 'brilliant idea'...  he is a corporation, and baby-boy is just mad because the president of LV or whatever doesn't buy into the hype surrounding him and refused to give him the time of day when Kanye wanted to come in and pitch his stupid ideas.  the entire album was just a 40+ minute tantrum about how it's unfair that he's hit a ceiling in the music industry as far as success is concerned, and his ego tells him that because he does 'brave' things like wearing skirts and pastel colors, he'd be the greatest fashion designer ever if people would just give him the money and take him seriously when he says things like "I feel like a little bit, like, I’m the Braveheart of creativity.”

(footnote: there's also another quote in that video that sums him up perfectly...

"I create like I'm three years old." 

Holy fuck, you can say that again haha)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kanye West

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users