Photo

Did you learn from someone, or do it alone...

As far as music goes...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kcat

kcat

Crate diggin' kitty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:beats, love songs, Simpsons, guitar

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'm a pretty independent person and I take pride in the fact that I can (usually) learn most things on my own. Having said that, I'm having a tough spot when it comes to music.

Did someone teach you what you know? As far as using programs OR playing an instrument. (Or both in my case.) I've made progress with my guitar in the past 2 months, but I've been playing it a lot more in the past 2 months. (Probably not a coincidence...haha) I still wonder if I should try to get another teacher. I was really unhappy with my last one. (He was an hour late every week for starters...)

When it comes to FL I am lost, lost lost lost lost lost. The program might as well be written in Martian. I can make a basic drum loop and that's. Combining, layering, etc lost. It makes me so frustrated with myself. I was able to learn photoshop on my own, but this isn't going as well. I feel like I should just struggle through it??? I feel weird asking someone to show me the ropes.

I dunno, how did you learn your craft?

#2 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

I learnt from a bunch of jungle producers in my hood. Why not try the YouTube?

#3 Crystal Joker

Crystal Joker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:My Ganja, Oranges, Coffee
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/head-jamz

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

Learned most from my cousin, some shit I taught myself

#4 KieranCrawford

KieranCrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

I'm a pretty independent person and I take pride in the fact that I can (usually) learn most things on my own. Having said that, I'm having a tough spot when it comes to music.

Did someone teach you what you know? As far as using programs OR playing an instrument. (Or both in my case.) I've made progress with my guitar in the past 2 months, but I've been playing it a lot more in the past 2 months. (Probably not a coincidence...haha) I still wonder if I should try to get another teacher. I was really unhappy with my last one. (He was an hour late every week for starters...)

When it comes to FL I am lost, lost lost lost lost lost. The program might as well be written in Martian. I can make a basic drum loop and that's. Combining, layering, etc lost. It makes me so frustrated with myself. I was able to learn photoshop on my own, but this isn't going as well. I feel like I should just struggle through it??? I feel weird asking someone to show me the ropes.

I dunno, how did you learn your craft?

thats weird as fuvk bc im lost when it comes to photoshop but i taught myself how to use fl. (took me like 4 years tho and still kearning haha)

#5 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:44 AM

<<<Self-taught DJ. Not that its any big accomplishment, I'm sure most djs just bought turntables and figured it out.
  • Professor Coneyack likes this

#6 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:09 AM

I never had a real teacher, I taught myself a lot in FL Studios but I really got going when I found the War Beat videos. When it came to guitar most of the stuff that I learned came from books and instructional videos.

#7 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

i learn how to ride a bike when i was a little kid ! my mom was sick and my dad a fucking junkie so

#8 Professor Coneyack

Professor Coneyack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Quality Music, Fine Art, Hand Crafted Beer, Audio Engineering, Lakers, Life
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/selectfewmusic805

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

mostly self taught.

#9 TeefSweat

TeefSweat

Rookie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Music, Skateboarding.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Self Taught Producer. Self Taught Pianist (But I cant read music)

#10 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

OUTSIDE OF LOOPING I CANT SEEM TO FIGURE IT ALL OUT, IVE MADE SOME DOPE BEATS BUT NOTHING TOO GREAT. IF I GOT RICH ID PAY MADLIB TO TEACH ME AND MAKE IT INTO A DOCUMENTARY...

:rolleyes: -_-

#11 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Self taught, but I do watch "<insert any producer's name> in the studio making a beat" videos on YouTube to study their workflow and learn new ways to do shit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users