21 replies to this topic

#1 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

is it a good thing to make hiphop beats? i have never used hardware to make beats only fl lol

#2 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:58 PM

Maschine

Maschine

#3 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

Maschine isn't really hardware, but anyway, I copped one sometime back but wasn't a big fan of how you went about arranging beats with the scenes and ended up selling it. I honestly felt like I had more power and flexibility with FL Studios. I would recommend just copping a pad controller for FL if you don't already have one.

#4 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

can you not also use the maschine with fl ??

#5 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

can you not also use the maschine with fl ??

That was the point of my answer. Just didn't feel like typing so much so I felt video was a much better and faster explanation. A good ear + Maschine + FL Studio + skills = #RealHipHop.

#6 g1sm0

g1sm0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/g1sm0

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

fuck maschine, sold it, buy a mpc. maschine does the job but.. the feeling isnt there.

#7 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Maschine is pretty dam amazing, ties into ableton really well especially the Mk 2 and ableton 9, but!!!! the one to watch is the MPC Ren, I'm selling my maschine to get a Ren,

Maschine does the job.. the feeling isn't there, that's down to you not the Maschine, what do you want from it a back massage before you start fondling the pads, and tweaking the knobs. :P

One mans dream is anothers nightmare, to me FL studio and Maschines appearence is a bit toy-ish looking, both are great for anyone to get going.

#8 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Maschine is pretty dam amazing, ties into ableton really well especially the Mk 2 and ableton 9, but!!!! the one to watch is the MPC Ren, I'm selling my maschine to get a Ren,

Maschine does the job.. the feeling isn't there, that's down to you not the Maschine, what do you want from it a back massage before you start fondling the pads, and tweaking the knobs. :P

One mans dream is anothers nightmare, to me FL studio and Maschines appearence is a bit toy-ish looking, both are great for anyone to get going.

When I was a teenager a few people like Chubb Rock tried to tell me my Casio RZ-1 and Casio SK-1 are toys and I couldn't make a record with them. Well not only did I make a record, but it the very same hit record that blew up in Europe and started a trend in NYC which propelled others such as Rob Base & EZ Rock as Well as Kid N Play to name a few.

Now I can see how one can make such an assumption about FL Studio's GUI because it's pretty deceptive especially since it's one of the most advanced and absolute best selling DAW on the market, but to say such a thing about Maschine is borderline ridiculous. It's a very tough build and works great unlike the MPC Ren which several of my friends who rush out to buy it all either returned it or sold it or still complaining about it.

Like this guy:

My point is what you call toys or toyish are actually tools, you as an individual just have to know what you're doing and how to use them.

#9 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

When I was a teenager a few people like Chubb Rock tried to tell me my Casio RZ-1 and Casio SK-1 are toys and I couldn't make a record with them. Well not only did I make a record, but it the very same hit record that blew up in Europe and started a trend in NYC which propelled others such as Rob Base & EZ Rock as Well as Kid N Play to name a few.

http://youtu.be/DPGM3SIRXWo

Now I can see how one can make such an assumption about FL Studio's GUI because it's pretty deceptive especially since it's one of the most advanced and absolute best selling DAW on the market, but to say such a thing about Maschine is borderline ridiculous. It's a very tough build and works great unlike the MPC Ren which several of my friends who rush out to buy it all either returned it or sold it or still complaining about it.

Like this guy:

http://youtu.be/Awc78Sac-5k

My point is what you call toys or toyish are actually tools, you as an individual just have to know what you're doing and how to use them.

Didn't call them toy's said they was toy-ish looking, that can have a big effect putting people off, which is very different from saying they are toy's even though we all play around with "Tools", why do we get so offended at the word toy, toy's are amazing, remember playing with Transformers and He-Man,it get's your Imagination going, and Maschine is my favourite toy, got to embrace that Inner child, how can we get excited if we all try to do the grown up attitude thing, which is a joke in itself adults are worse than children by far. If you put A REN next to a Maschine, and I can see in that blurry shot there, it's made better, It's made from metal , maschine is plastic look at the sides looks like it's glued together, I think the MK1 seems tougher than MK 2. And the Mk2 metal cover is so easy to bend by accident when removing it. Can I run Maschine into outside Hardware effects and back in, no I can't, you can't change tempo on each sequence or scene either, The REN can. Anyone who use's Maschine knows they have to run it through another program, or export all their tracks, so you can do this outboard business, with another Daw, I've also run the same track in maschine, and the Ren, and the Ren sounds better, it's warmer, Maschine sounds like the old Fruity Loops, and my tracks sound 10 times better when they have been exported. Maschine isn't even dual core, If you open up 64bit you can't run anything 32bit no 32bit vsts will show up, you have to have both shortcuts available and swop in between them both. Maschine is basically a very expensive beat making sketchpad, after the MK2 being released it made me realise, there will be a Mk3, probably better casing, and output's, I wouldn't be surprised if they even give it it's own audio interface like the REN has, it's business and we are the target, unfortunately quality isn't what is was back in the day, and products are rushed out, and we get it from first releases constantly with most products.

And dude I don't make assumptions or assume it's fallacy that just leads to trouble, I look into stuff, and take my time and research into things from every angle. been around FL since it was fruity loops 3 and there is nothing deceptive about clicking a mouse button to fill or delete in the sequencer, looks better now and sounds better at version 11 than it ever has, it's really evolved, it's just not for me, it's like tomatoes, I don't eat them because I don't like them. And I have not said you can't do this that way, I am MR Let's Try Everything we can, what you did with the Casio is probably more of a door being kicked down than you realise, people still want those sounds, it's inspirational, and it's a benchmark in music. But I'm not Chubb Rock, saying they're toy's and you can't, I 'm that guy like you, saying "er you can and your not putting me off but I'm not ashamed to call them toys " it really is a case of each to their own, otherwise we would all sound the same.

I take it the guy in the video, got the first model, yup there were problems they're being addressed, shouldn't be like that but think about it, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Smartphones, all first release's seem to go up the creek, but the speed Akai are doing updates is pretty good, yeah they rushed it, and it's still USB 2 which I really don't get. But Maschine crashes, I thought 1.7 was more stable than 1.8, and it was, as there was a very quick update to sort Maschine out with zooming in, it still has issues with that. If you stick a couple of big 24 bit waves in to chop up, it can crash, and did on me again yesterday, again. I was sticking up for Maschine, but I'm just realistic with what I notice, my wording doesn't help sounds like I'm going to go warp factor Oi Oi!! straight to the shop and snap it up, not the case, see how it fairs by the end of the year when prices drop and see if it goes USB 3 and 64 bit. and I wish both would sort out sidechain it's so stupid.
  • DJ Pete Marriott likes this

#10 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

i copped the maschine second hands for 150 retail is 329 so im just playing with it never have really hardware or software but im going to fuck around with it so i can learn how beat making works and then later maybe buy a mpc thing but they are to expensive for me now retail here in europe for a mpc 500 is like 500euro that is 650 usd

#11 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

i copped the maschine second hands for 150 retail is 329 so im just playing with it never have really hardware or software but im going to fuck around with it so i can learn how beat making works and then later maybe buy a mpc thing but they are to expensive for me now retail here in europe for a mpc 500 is like 500euro that is 650 usd

you should be able to pick up a mpc 2000xl for around 250/300

#12 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

nah the akai mpc that i see are for that price are busted and dont have zipcards and shit like that

#13 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

wow every beat i hear on youtube that is made by maschine is wack ! i think im going to sell my or can you used it like a mpd on Fruityloops ?

#14 PayDay

PayDay

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

Maschine is dope af, Ive had mine for a couple years and left my hardware alone. Its easy to learn and use and has great features. There really wouldnt be a need to get an mpc unless its just preference.

And you can use it as a midi controller in a DAW, but u should really give it a shot in Standalone

#15 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

drums dont hit with maschine and sound flat i have a sp 404 and the drums sounds much much better

#16 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Didn't call them toy's said they was toy-ish looking, that can have a big effect putting people off, which is very different from saying they are toy's even though we all play around with "Tools", why do we get so offended at the word toy, toy's are amazing, remember playing with Transformers and He-Man,it get's your Imagination going, and Maschine is my favourite toy, got to embrace that Inner child, how can we get excited if we all try to do the grown up attitude thing, which is a joke in itself adults are worse than children by far. If you put A REN next to a Maschine, and I can see in that blurry shot there, it's made better, It's made from metal , maschine is plastic look at the sides looks like it's glued together, I think the MK1 seems tougher than MK 2. And the Mk2 metal cover is so easy to bend by accident when removing it. Can I run Maschine into outside Hardware effects and back in, no I can't, you can't change tempo on each sequence or scene either, The REN can. Anyone who use's Maschine knows they have to run it through another program, or export all their tracks, so you can do this outboard business, with another Daw, I've also run the same track in maschine, and the Ren, and the Ren sounds better, it's warmer, Maschine sounds like the old Fruity Loops, and my tracks sound 10 times better when they have been exported. Maschine isn't even dual core, If you open up 64bit you can't run anything 32bit no 32bit vsts will show up, you have to have both shortcuts available and swop in between them both. Maschine is basically a very expensive beat making sketchpad, after the MK2 being released it made me realise, there will be a Mk3, probably better casing, and output's, I wouldn't be surprised if they even give it it's own audio interface like the REN has, it's business and we are the target, unfortunately quality isn't what is was back in the day, and products are rushed out, and we get it from first releases constantly with most products.

And dude I don't make assumptions or assume it's fallacy that just leads to trouble, I look into stuff, and take my time and research into things from every angle. been around FL since it was fruity loops 3 and there is nothing deceptive about clicking a mouse button to fill or delete in the sequencer, looks better now and sounds better at version 11 than it ever has, it's really evolved, it's just not for me, it's like tomatoes, I don't eat them because I don't like them. And I have not said you can't do this that way, I am MR Let's Try Everything we can, what you did with the Casio is probably more of a door being kicked down than you realise, people still want those sounds, it's inspirational, and it's a benchmark in music. But I'm not Chubb Rock, saying they're toy's and you can't, I 'm that guy like you, saying "er you can and your not putting me off but I'm not ashamed to call them toys " it really is a case of each to their own, otherwise we would all sound the same.

I take it the guy in the video, got the first model, yup there were problems they're being addressed, shouldn't be like that but think about it, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Smartphones, all first release's seem to go up the creek, but the speed Akai are doing updates is pretty good, yeah they rushed it, and it's still USB 2 which I really don't get. But Maschine crashes, I thought 1.7 was more stable than 1.8, and it was, as there was a very quick update to sort Maschine out with zooming in, it still has issues with that. If you stick a couple of big 24 bit waves in to chop up, it can crash, and did on me again yesterday, again. I was sticking up for Maschine, but I'm just realistic with what I notice, my wording doesn't help sounds like I'm going to go warp factor Oi Oi!! straight to the shop and snap it up, not the case, see how it fairs by the end of the year when prices drop and see if it goes USB 3 and 64 bit. and I wish both would sort out sidechain it's so stupid.

SMH....I'm not even going to bother...SMH

#17 PayDay

PayDay

Rookie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

wow every beat i hear on youtube that is made by maschine is wack ! i think im going to sell my or can you used it like a mpd on Fruityloops ?

that would have nothing to do with the maschine lol, but whatever u more comfortable with u should use it, they all get the job done

#18 iammzac

iammzac

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

I've made all my beats in Maschine standalone the past 2 years complete from start to finish. You be the judge:

Late '12 - Early '13 -

Late '11 - Early '12 -

#19 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

this might be a stupid question but if you made say a drumbeat with maschine can you play that track and record in scratches while the drums play? also does maschine have a decent timestretch function?

#20 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

this might be a stupid question but if you made say a drumbeat with maschine can you play that track and record in scratches while the drums play? also does maschine have a decent timestretch function?

Apparently the time stretch only got introduced recently and it's not that great

#21 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:36 AM

Apparently the time stretch only got introduced recently and it's not that great

forgot to say thanks for replying

i copped one anyway, just getting into learning it now, its weird for me personally coming from only using hardware but im sure il get there in the end, anyone got any good video tutorial recomendations? ive subscribed to a few on youtube that have been ok'ish

#22 Perfect 5th

Perfect 5th

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/perfect-5th

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

I've been on MPC's for a long time, most recently 2500. I love my MPC, can work in it quickly, and efficiently. JJOS makes it a whole new machine, and much better (2500 anyway). I debated and thought about getting Maschine for probably 6 months. Watched videos, watched reviews, watched tutorials and read a ton of information about it. Decided to pull the trigger about a month go and so far I can say I love it. There are differences between the MPC obviously. There are very few things I don't like in Maschine over the MPC, primarily the scenes. However, I'm getting used to it now and don't mind it as much as week 1. Use it only in Standalone really, will open up as a plug in to track into a DAW for final mixing.

As for drums not hitting or things like that. I don't find that (though I've not messed with a SP404 as a direct comparison) I believe a lot of that has to do with the drums being used and the use of the hardware/software but most importantly the person programming the drums. (Numark, Nottz, Mr. Green, Khrysis)

I haven't sold or got rid of my MPC yet as I am not prepared to commit fully to Maschine but I highly doubt at this point I will be reverting back.

Also, I messed with MPC Ren a bit and had the same experience and opinions of the video above. Hated it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users