SP-303

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 oz_tinado

oz_tinado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:headphones, wayfarers, winning medals.

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:03 AM

'sup. i got some production questions that you all may or may not be able to help with...
i know that a lot of us are rockin' analog equipment- specifically BOSS products such as the SP-303/404/etc. due to the influence of albums like MV and Donuts. with that said, i know a lot of us are not very big fans of the quantize, haha...and i agree. but i just started returning to analog production not too long ago, but i've found it literally impossible to make a beat without using quantize.

NOT as a crutch like it's usually used, but just as a way to mark the "first beat" when i decide to play a pattern. if you guys are familiar with using a sampler, then you probably will understand what i mean...when you program a beat, obviously human timing is a few milliseconds off from "actual" time on each measure, so some patterns will be just slightly off-beat. this usually isn't a problem for me- except when i'm going in to record a track, and have to switch between several different patterns. now every time i switch the pattern up, that very first kick or sample hit is just barely missing the mark so that it's almost like an unintentional mute on the track, which would sound good if i meant to do that. but when that happens every 2-4 bars, it gets a little grating...i know ways to cheat around it, but i'm trying to handle everything in-box and not have to do any post-editing of the track on a cpu since that defeats the whole purpose of analog production...i just was wondering if there are any work arounds you guys have come up with, because i know a LOT of cats utilize the same techniques i do- and somehow produce much better results than i have so far lol.

#2 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

use quantization when necessary.

if you can't hit the kick drum just quantize it.

there's no shame.
  • DJ Tav!k likes this

#3 oz_tinado

oz_tinado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

well here's the beat in question that i was referring to with the issue. i think in this particular case it may pass as being okay, but for all my beats to start doing this would be complete overkill haha. the thing is, i did try to quantize that first kick, but then it threw off my entire drum pattern and made it sound terrible so i just decided to say screw it and do it like this...

#4 thabreakfiend

thabreakfiend

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I don't use the sequencer, I just use the resample method. For switching between patterns I have the pads on loop and hit both of them when I want to switch.

#5 oz_tinado

oz_tinado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I don't use the sequencer, I just use the resample method. For switching between patterns I have the pads on loop and hit both of them when I want to switch.

really?
how do you program in drums- cause i know what you're talking about, i used to do that too haha. but i also would just use the sample's percussion and not add anything, so all my beats were like Capt. Murphy-style for a while.

#6 thabreakfiend

thabreakfiend

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

really?
how do you program in drums- cause i know what you're talking about, i used to do that too haha. but i also would just use the sample's percussion and not add anything, so all my beats were like Capt. Murphy-style for a while.

Yeah sometimes i go no drums lol. I just resample a new pad with drums over the sample and then compress with vinyl sim or mfx12. Findind drums and sequencing are the hardest parts for me...I really need to dl some drumbreaks.

#7 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:45 AM

you might already be aware of this, but if you want to place a sound in a pattern that you just can't seem to do on your own (or you want its placement to be consistent between multiple patterns), resample the sound on to a new pad, but play it twice with a gap of silence in between, then mark out the second one, quantize it in the pattern just before you want it to play (like the 8th note before, so you know where to lay it in other patterns), and pull back the start point til it is sitting where you want in the pattern

#8 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

yeah, I never quantized with the SP303 when I had it. If you need something to keep you on time, pull out your phone or something with a metronome. hit record. play the metronome. bang out your drums. stop recording. mark. resample.

#9 g1sm0

g1sm0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/g1sm0

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

sometimes you need quantize.. sometimes.. rockin the sp404 btw

#10 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

You can get an awesome "human" feel even by using quantization, just need the right swing and timing. I personally almost never use quantization but when I do it's usually only on the kick and snare and the hi-hats are usually always left unquantized. But for each track it's different, it helps to lay out the hi hats first to get a feel for the kind of swing you want and then record the kick and snare over the hats.

A lot of producers dont know this, but probably the best way to get a human and realistic feel to your drums is to only chop up drum breaks into small tiny sections, im not talking one shots. But maybe like a kick and a snare in one pad, A kick and hat on another, then 2 kicks and a snare, etc. And just play around with it, also mess around with ADSR, that opens up a whole new world of possibilities
  • DJ Primate likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users