• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Orthodox Odd

Orthodox Odd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

In my opinion, I would like to see more national tours for the ST-signed artists. It's great that the label is attaining international presence, but every time I check ST's tour dates, 95% are on the other side of the globe.

#2 fungus

fungus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

"I COMMAND YOU ... MORE DOMESTIC TOURS"

Posted Image

#3 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

A Lions tour would be nice.

#4 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

I heard stones throw artists don't get as much love in the states and that the crowd kinda sucks here.
Be nice if The Madlib made a trip near Ohio.

#5 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

I heard stones throw artists don't get as much love in the states and that the crowd kinda sucks here.
Be nice if The Madlib made a trip near Ohio.

***Morse code noises*** (BEEP BEEP) MIDWEST STMB CHARTER (BEEP BEEP)

I am certain the closest to this having happened (ST being in Ohio) was Oh No being booked for a show in Columbus circa 2005/06.
It was cancelled.
Am I wrong that Pittsburgh was a stop on one of those ST Roster tours (the basketball video game album)?

Chicago had that Bi-monthly thing popping off a few years ago... it fizzled out (pretty certain the club closed that they did it out of).

J Rocc did a show in Chicago approx. with in the past year. It was so poorly promoted that I first heard about it a month after it happening.

STRAIGHT UP .... American crowds don't get "LIVE" enough. A whole lot of standing and staring.

#6 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,888 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

STRAIGHT UP .... American crowds don't get "LIVE" enough. A whole lot of standing and staring.

I will usually try to hop on a plane to catch The Madlib when he plays in the states. I saw him in Brooklyn last year and the crowd was doing just that, standing and staring. The Madlib ended the show early and when Egon took me backstage to give The Madlib some props I could feel the energy from him that he was pretty disappointed with the crowd that evening.

#7 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

***Morse code noises*** (BEEP BEEP) MIDWEST STMB CHARTER (BEEP BEEP)

I am certain the closest to this having happened (ST being in Ohio) was Oh No being booked for a show in Columbus circa 2005/06.
It was cancelled.

Dan funk, the step kids and Mayer Hawthorne makes it out this way on occasion, but I'd like to see The Madlib as he's more of an inspiration. So I guess more major artists would be nice.

#8 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

I will usually try to hop on a plane to catch The Madlib when he plays in the states. I saw him in Brooklyn last year and the crowd was doing just that, standing and staring. The Madlib ended the show early and when Egon took me backstage to give The Madlib some props I could feel the energy from him that he was pretty disappointed with the crowd that evening.

When I saw Madlib in Houston it was pretty much the same thing. I met Madlib as well and he seemed pretty disappointed as well. He was also pretty faded, it looked like.

I don't blame him. That crowd sucked. There was an equipment failure during J. Rocc's set (something with the venue's equipment, not his) and the crowd straight booed him for 5 minutes straight. And while the show was actually working fine, no one really seemed to be all that excited except for the section nearest the stage.

The crowd was pretty hype during Hella National on Wednesday, though. Homeboy Sandman knows how to get the crowd moving.

#9 Guts

Guts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Mario

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

I saw Jon wayne, Jonti, Dam Funk, and PB Wolf in San Francisco about 6 months ago. THE CROWD SUCKED. i was one of like 4 heads that wasn't just standing there. Although there was a second room with djs playing breaks and old school and b boys, that shit was killer.

#10 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

I for one would get crazy & nutty if there was a Madlib tour of the midwest.
A contemporary "Jerry Bear".

#11 oz_tinado

oz_tinado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:headphones, wayfarers, winning medals.

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:36 AM

i'm still kicking myself for not going to see him when he was in Denver back in like November. it's hard to find people to go with to a show like that unless they know who he is and what he does...and idk anyone in my real life who has ever heard of him, let alone is a fan...
  • Crystal Joker likes this

#12 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

it's hard to find people to go with to a show like that unless they know who he is and what he does.

That's a good point. I also heard that the venue arranges for him to perform. So it's less about us and more about what venues choose him as an act. Correct me if iam wrong.

#13 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 3,888 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

That's a good point. I also heard that the venue arranges for him to perform. So it's less about us and more about what venues choose him as an act. Correct me if iam wrong.

This is correct. Don't complain about ST artists not performing or doing shows, complain about the fact that concert promoters in your city suck balls. The Madlib has rolled through CO four times in the last three years mostly due to the fact that promoters reach out to him.

When I saw Madlib in Houston it was pretty much the same thing. I met Madlib as well and he seemed pretty disappointed as well. He was also pretty faded, it looked like.

I don't blame him. That crowd sucked. There was an equipment failure during J. Rocc's set (something with the venue's equipment, not his) and the crowd straight booed him for 5 minutes straight. And while the show was actually working fine, no one really seemed to be all that excited except for the section nearest the stage.

I was at that show myself. I was in the front row the whole show...but you're right the people up front kept it hype. When he grabbed the mic and rapped for a few songs the place went nuts! Trust me though Primate, I've seen him four times since and that crowd was one of the most invigorating audiences I've seen since then. People literally usually just stand there and stare at The Madlib because they're all expecting to hear him rap Quasimoto's Greatest Hits instead of unreleased beats; which is all part of 'the show' for me.

When Egon took me backstage in NYC I told The Madlib that my buddy and I were 'Madlib Deadheads' because we've traveled the country seeing him perform.

#14 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

they're all expecting to hear him rap Quasimoto's Greatest Hits

I think that'd be what Id want to see least at a Madlib show. Why go to a show just to hear shit you already have on cd? I wonder if most of the attendees of his shows are 'fans' who only like jaylib-quas-villainy era Madlib. People wanna come to a show feeling comfortable but The Madlibs persona is anything but comfortable.

#15 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

thats why djs who play diverse music like lib and jrocc go over seas where its more appreciated, i used to make people mixed cds with all the music i found and they wouldnt even comment on them i used to hate that shit so i understand! ill be in texas for a few years, oakland cost too much, if anyone gets word of a ST show in tx let geech know! im looking for a lounge or something where i can play out here also!

geech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users