Photo

Why ST artists release on labels besides ST?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fANTOM

fANTOM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Seems like more and more Stones Throw artists are releasing projects on various labels (i.e. Bang Ya Head, Madlib Invazion, Kash Roc, etc.) other than Stones Throw. Why is this? Are these labels affiliated with Stones Throw (like Now-Again)? Is there some kind of distribution deal going on? I see that Stones Throw still promotes a lot of these releases and sells them in their store.

#2 quikfit

quikfit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

It just seems like most of these projects are perhaps going in a different direction and ST doesn't maybe want the ST name on it, but happy to help promote/distribute.
Also, Now Again and ST are no longer really "together". Egon has left ST, and no NA titles are available in the store anymore.
Egon is Madlib's manager and works with him, and interesting that after he left, Madlib has put out a bunch of stuff through Madlib Invazion, but not ST.
I'm sure it's all still a family thing and all good when it boils down, but maybe there are just certain projects they don't want to have the ST name on and are solely responsible for promo, etc.

#3 fANTOM

fANTOM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

Also, Now Again and ST are no longer really "together". Egon has left ST, and no NA titles are available in the store anymore.
Egon is Madlib's manager and works with him, and interesting that after he left, Madlib has put out a bunch of stuff through Madlib Invazion, but not ST.

That reminds me... I recently purchased some stuff from Rappcats.com (which I believe is Madlib's site) and PayPal showed that the payment went to Now-Again Records.

#4 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Seems like more and more Stones Throw artists are releasing projects on various labels (i.e. Bang Ya Head, Madlib Invazion, Kash Roc, etc.) other than Stones Throw. Why is this? Are these labels affiliated with Stones Throw (like Now-Again)? Is there some kind of distribution deal going on? I see that Stones Throw still promotes a lot of these releases and sells them in their store.

Last year someone posted a very similar thread in regards to ST's affiliation with the other labels. Bot posted a reply (which it looks like he deleted?) which said:

We carry quite a few other labels on the Stones Throw online store, but these are not subsidiaries or other labels in name only, they're entirely different labels.

#5 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Interupts topic:

Even though I put out negative shit from time to time, I wanna say RESPECT to Stones Throw for continuously putting out quality music!

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users