• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Looks like the infamous MCA album is finally going to see the light of day:
http://pitchfork.com...w-track-anthem/

Here's the first single:
https://soundcloud.c...s/jdilla-anthem

(There was a Kanye West-produced version of this track circulating awhile back...this version is said to be produced by Dilla himself)
Posted Image

#2 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Now that's what's up!

#3 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,187 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Glad to see MCA will reach the light.

#4 zmister

zmister

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

yo I dig new dilla but all this grave diggin shit don't sit right with me

#5 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

when's it gonna be available to order?
i gotta stay on top of this one, i don't wanna get shut out like i did with 48 hours...

*nevermind, found it. i still would like for someone to update this thread though, once the pre-order for the LP becomes available...

#6 quikfit

quikfit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

i don't wanna get shut out like i did with 48 hours...

48 Hours is still up for sale in the store

#7 Remy LeBeau

Remy LeBeau

Rookie

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

They are claiming that this is the original version.
I for one, do not believe it for a second.

First of all, the Kanye version has been circulating the internet for years.
Secondly, Dilla's voice is sped up, so are Frank n Danks.
Lastly, and most infuriating to me, the chorus sounds crammed in there, like a bad mashup. But on Kanye's version, Dilla's chorus perfectly matched the beat.

It is very hard to believe that Dilla would've ever recorded that chorus to that beat.
I was not particularly mad about all of the other Dilla cashgrab stuff that's going on, because most of that was T-Shirts and bad rappers over his beats. Also, he's got daughters to feed.

But messing with his music? Cramming a verse inelegantly from one song, onto another (admittedly great) beat? That is not how you make good music, and I don't think Dilla ever would've stood for it.

#8 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

48 Hours is still up for sale in the store

the instrumentals aren't <_< i could care less about the vocals haha, Frank n' Dank aren't the most poignant lyricists...the beats are what i really wanted.

#9 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

They are claiming that this is the original version.
I for one, do not believe it for a second.

First of all, the Kanye version has been circulating the internet for years.
Secondly, Dilla's voice is sped up, so are Frank n Danks.
Lastly, and most infuriating to me, the chorus sounds crammed in there, like a bad mashup. But on Kanye's version, Dilla's chorus perfectly matched the beat.

I'm 99% certain this is a different recording of dilla's verse... doesnt sound the same to me. On that basis i would say that he made this version on his own accord... i'm thinking this was made after the kanye version though.

http://bling47.com/s...iginal-version/ - i would never have thought this was the original over the ruff draft version, so i'll let them say what they wanna say

#10 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

DannyD is correct, it's a different vocal recording (pretty obvious).

#11 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yeah I read that Dave Cooley, who has previously worked with Dilla in LA, used a lot of demo tracks for this release so that would make sense why it's a different vocal take.

Aside from a lot of unreleased Dilla beats that will eventually see the light of day via Delicious Vinyl, and The Lost Scrolls joints, I'm really looking forward to this album.

#12 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,187 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

JJ, I liked that little aside about the MCA leak that seems to be deleted...

#13 FilthyMcNasty

FilthyMcNasty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

I missed it JJ, why the mods delete?

#14 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

I'm 99% certain this is a different recording of dilla's verse... doesnt sound the same to me. On that basis i would say that he made this version on his own accord... i'm thinking this was made after the kanye version though.

http://bling47.com/s...iginal-version/ - i would never have thought this was the original over the ruff draft version, so i'll let them say what they wanna say

Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard this version. The vocals come in a lot clearer over this beat.

#15 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

I wonder, how long before the Jay Dee Project is officially released - there's some really dope tracks on there. I love listening to Slum demo's or outtakes

#16 Guts

Guts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Mario

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

yo I dig new dilla but all this grave diggin shit don't sit right with me

agreed

#17 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'm posting this now, let's see how long before it's posted on the ST homepage.

http://www.rappcats....j-dilla-trucks/

#18 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

• Dj Nippy likes this

#19 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNegrKlwsro

I like the track; it has a 5 Elementz feel to it.
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#20 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'm posting this now, let's see how long before it's posted on the ST homepage.

I'm sure most of us have already heard 'Trucks.' I don't care much for this track, although it is nice to hear "new" verses from Jay. Anyways, more Dilla and less Frank-n-Dank, please. I believe that's Frank on the chorus - - his voice is annoying on this track
  • GC90 likes this

#21 Jadoe

Jadoe

ch-POW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Trucks was my shit back when it was first leaked. This new one has slightly different vocal recordings from the sound of it (lack of random adlibs too). idk why they chose these new recordings

#22 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,187 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

idk why they chose these new recordings

That Yeezy $ is my guess.

#23 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Trucks was my shit back when it was first leaked. This new one has slightly different vocal recordings from the sound of it (lack of random adlibs too). idk why they chose these new recordings

I was really disappointed when the "IN THE CLUB" adlibs were absent.

#24 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Just got this from Rappcats:

Hello

Just a quick note to everyone who ordered the J Dilla “Anthem” 12-inch singles. When we announced this record two months ago, we posted an expected ship date of April 16th, and we hit that mark. We got the records in earlier this week and immediately began boxing, shipping and mailing.

Yesterday morning, Spin Mag got their hands on a preview of “Trucks” -
http://www.spin.com/...ocal-unreleased

This is the first official release of J Dilla’s “long lost” vocal album. The second release will be announced, we hope, in early summer 2013. The album itself, THE DIARY, is still being compiled, mixed and mastered. The folks overseeing this project are all associates of the late J Dilla – us here at Rappcats (Madlib, Egon, Jeff Jank) along with J Rocc, House Shoes, studio engineer Dave Cooley, and others.

From all of us, thanks to you for being the first supporters of this project!

Coming up at Rappcats, along with the next J Dilla record, will be an expanded online store (with actual customer service!), new material from Madlib, the Now-Again label, and high hopes for the future of quality music.

- Rappcats Crew

• DJ Primate and GC90 like this

#25 Goodz047

Goodz047

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Wax

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

Posted Image

#26 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

Finally!

#27 mangoes cash

mangoes cash

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

This gonna be for sale and feature Danny Brown?

#28 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

i really wish people would quit riding on Dilla's coattails and releasing tributes to him and all that junk.
at least wait until 2016 for the 10 year anniversary for Donuts or something, anything that makes more sense than you rapping on your shitty sm-58 mic in your bedroom over beats you stole off of youtube "in memoriam" of him despite being like 8 years late to the punch.

i'm sick of people using his likeness and his name as a marketing ploy to get their awful renditions over his beats/raps more airplay by Urban Outfitter fanboys that buy vinyl because it's "unique" and "too obscure for the commercial mainstream"...enough already, we over here at STMB get it. you all can stop now; shut the fuck up and make your own beats. make a name for yourself, you don't see 100,000,000 Ronnie James Dio tribute albums or even 1 tribute to cats like Eyedea or Nujabes (besides Ta-ku i guess)...are we gonna end up with another million Madlib tribute albums the day he finally kicks the bucket (God forbid)? it's nonsense, and i hate how people think it's an act of sincerity and humility when in reality it's exploiting a dead guy for notoriety/cash. fuck anybody that thinks they're really helping the cause of Ma Dukes and Co. by explicitly biting one of Jay's nicknames for themselves or making an album called "Donuts - the Encore (R.I.B. DILLA WE LUV U)" or rapping on "Stepson of the Clapper" like it's a brand new fucking beat no one's heard before...c'mon people, have some respect for the dude and leave his shit alone.

#29 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:23 AM

^^ AMEN TO THAT!

#30 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

i really wish people would quit riding on Dilla's coattails and releasing tributes to him and all that junk.
at least wait until 2016 for the 10 year anniversary for Donuts or something, anything that makes more sense than you rapping on your shitty sm-58 mic in your bedroom over beats you stole off of youtube "in memoriam" of him despite being like 8 years late to the punch.

i'm sick of people using his likeness and his name as a marketing ploy to get their awful renditions over his beats/raps more airplay by Urban Outfitter fanboys that buy vinyl because it's "unique" and "too obscure for the commercial mainstream"...enough already, we over here at STMB get it. you all can stop now; shut the fuck up and make your own beats. make a name for yourself, you don't see 100,000,000 Ronnie James Dio tribute albums or even 1 tribute to cats like Eyedea or Nujabes (besides Ta-ku i guess)...are we gonna end up with another million Madlib tribute albums the day he finally kicks the bucket (God forbid)? it's nonsense, and i hate how people think it's an act of sincerity and humility when in reality it's exploiting a dead guy for notoriety/cash. fuck anybody that thinks they're really helping the cause of Ma Dukes and Co. by explicitly biting one of Jay's nicknames for themselves or making an album called "Donuts - the Encore (R.I.B. DILLA WE LUV U)" or rapping on "Stepson of the Clapper" like it's a brand new fucking beat no one's heard before...c'mon people, have some respect for the dude and leave his shit alone.

I agree with everything you said here. It seems as though this is mainly aimed at pedestrian effort though. How do you feel about his ESTATE releasing all of these damn posthumous EPs, beat albums, compilations, etc. To me, the estate's ploy is worse than the pedestrian effort, 100%. They've released tons of sub-par projects with Dilla's name on them, even going as far as to recycle some beats. They've allowed for shitty rappers to rhyme over his beats: doing the instrumentals a complete disservice. They've "completed" some unfinished/ obscure loops they've unearthed: compromising the integrity of his work. They've even gone as far as to sell from the mans personal record collection. I don't know what Dilla's dying wishes were, but considering how close friends of his reacted to some of these things in the media, I find it safe to assume that much, if not all, of this aftermath were not ambitions of his.
  • PADYBU likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users