• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/aris_fau

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

Finally decided to play some of this young man's music, and i'm impressed. People are comparing him to a young Nas, but then again, pretty much every somewhat conscious rapper this young draws such comparison.

Check out this track and share your thoughts:

#2 Jadoe

Jadoe

ch-POW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

oh yeah he's good as fuck.
i thought people were on his nuts for no reason, but i downloaded rejex and he can rap better than most mf's out there

#3 Jadoe

Jadoe

ch-POW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:51 AM

i heard reports that its like sexual intercourse with your thoughts when i talk about the shoes in which I walk????????!?!?!??!?!!

#4 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:I critique and collect records; conduct interviews; and study commercial music.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

i heard reports that its like sexual intercourse with your thoughts when i talk about the shoes in which I walk????????!?!?!??!?!!

lol, "????????!?!?!??!?!!" is the I think this could be a dope line but I don't understand the significance of it.

I love seeing young cats rhyme like this. A couple of years ago Hip-Hop was down, at least thats what many were lead to believe, but its in a really good place right now. I would argue that Hip-Hop is better than its ever been, and thats with all due respect to the different eras in the genre/ culture. Got to thank the OG's for inspiring the youth like this because without them, young artists that spit like this wouldn't exist.
  • Jadoe likes this

#5 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

He and Black hippy movement is what is right with hip hop.
He's better than that Odd Future stuff
I dont see the nas comparison at all. Nas flow is more poetical if thats a word
  • mixupsupreme likes this

#6 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

He and Black hippy movement is what is right with hip hop.
He's better than that Odd Future stuff
I dont see the nas comparison at all. Nas flow is more poetical if thats a word

right, the nas thing is waaay off base, he only gets bundled in with odd future cos of his age this kid has a thing for mid 90'2 beats not some fucking horrible synth preset shit that tyler and co constantly vomit over, i saw via instagram that he has hooked up with pete rock can only be a good thing.....
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#7 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

i saw via instagram that he has hooked up with pete rock can only be a good thing.....

I haven't seen that, but he does seem to have a pretty good grasp and respect for whats good in Hip-Hop. He's got vocals on some Dilla and Doom beats - - even though the former has become a bit inordinate over time; he even mentions hoping to work with Madlib in the future; I respect that. It's going to be interesting to see how he grows and matures as an artist...the fact that he's still a teen is mind-blowing!

#8 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

...just realized you started a Joey Bada$$ thread some time go, my bad

#9 miss stress

miss stress

NOT HERE FOR IT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

i saw via instagram that he has hooked up with pete rock can only be a good thing.....

. Hmmmm.....this is going to be real interesting ill keep my ear open. He's definetly influenced by the early 90s era you can hear it in his flow. I see this kid working with pete and premo not so much madlib for some reason. I dont see him on a madlib beat, i dunno....,

#10 KieranCrawford

KieranCrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

these days it's getting hard to compare an artist to another b/c in order to really start a buzz you need a refreshing distinctiveness from everyone else. there's no point in comparing this kid to odd future because odd future has their own faults in a whole other realm or even genre of music if you will and you can't compare him to a young nas either because young nas came up in 95' and from then to now is a STRREETCH. You can only really like an artist for what he is coming at you with or how you can relate to him n what not.

but yeah i really like this guy

#11 zmister

zmister

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

anotha young cat who is murdering tha game

badass is dope as is

anyone who thinks hip hop is dead doesnt know whats up....

#12 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

People still spill that retarded hip hop is dead shit? Someone slap them with a used tampon, but some sense into them

#13 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

i thought people were on his nuts for no reason, but i downloaded rejex

This is where my thoughts are at the moment, without a single download yet...

#14 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

rejex was better than 1999

#15 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

I just realized this dude is not affiliated with A$AP Mob or whatever they call themselves. Rappers, stop using cash symbols as letters not only does it look terrible its confusing as hell.

#16 zmister

zmister

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Nigga caught a wave and now he surfin' coastal
They don't feel the name
But they say that music dope though
Fuck it that's how it's supposed to go
These bloggers too emotional

from daily routine by badass

#17 Iron80

Iron80

Rookie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Everything I heard so far has been dope. The kid has a bright future. I just hope he expanded on the 90's style he loves and try to create something newer and honest.

#18 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

I just realized this dude is not affiliated with A$AP Mob or whatever they call themselves. Rappers, stop using cash symbols as letters not only does it look terrible its confusing as hell.

changing my name to $hak£y finch

#19 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,145 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

changing my name to $hak£y finch

As long as the dollar sign is offset with the pound sign, or any other currency's symbol, I think I'm cool with it.

#20 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Joey and Capital Steez are the truth for real and I'm not saying that because they represent my native East Flatbush, Brooklyn, NY. I say it because I've been listening to their music everyday for the past few months and they embody the true New York Hip Hop Sound that most New Yorkers forgot about because they allowed cornballs like Diddy to get them drunk off that sparkling wine shiny suit c/rap.

#21 Jadoe

Jadoe

ch-POW!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

lol, "????????!?!?!??!?!!" is the I think this could be a dope line but I don't understand the significance of it.

naw thats me being impressed

#22 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

true New York Hip Hop Sound

Eh, with age and knowledge i've come to feel that there is almost no such thing as a "true New York Hip-Hop sound." There have been different eras in Hip-Hop, and there are equally as many propents for each of these terms - - everyone interprets what is "true" differently. I'm from Long Island, NY, where legendary artists like Rakim are from, and I have an idea of that which is a more pure form of New York Hip-Hop, but i'm sure even that perception is distorted or just highly subjective.

most New Yorkers forgot about because they allowed cornballs like Diddy to get them drunk off that sparkling wine shiny suit c/rap.

and to this I would like to say that the sound or movement of Hip-Hop as a whole was compromised way before Diddy...its too easy to use him as a scapegoat for commerical Hip-Hop/ Rap.

#23 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Eh, with age and knowledge i've come to feel that there is almost no such thing as a "true New York Hip-Hop sound." There have been different eras in Hip-Hop, and there are equally as many propents for each of these terms - - everyone interprets what is "true" differently. I'm from Long Island, NY, where legendary artists like Rakim are from, and I have an idea of that which is a more pure form of New York Hip-Hop, but i'm sure even that perception is distorted or just highly subjective.

Peace officeTime,

Despite the fact that I disagree with you to some degree, please allow this born and bred Brooklyn native from East Flatbush share his historical perspective on this for a moment.

Let's begin with the fact that Hip Hop music and culture began with Brooklyn DJs. Contrary to the popular belief that it started in the Bronx which is a great untruth, it was DJs in Brooklyn and later Queens that popped this thing we all love and call Hip Hop off.

Now let's get into the foundation of sampling which all began with the Legendary Hitman Howie Tee who is Hip Hop music's True Father of sampling. Long before Jerry Calleder, Rick Rubin & Jazzy Jay, Marly Marl, Paul C and Hurby Love Bug it was Howie Tee who introduced sampling to Hip Hop. So if you sample thank the Original Don Dada, the True Father, the Potentate Howie Tee for bringing sampling to Hip Hop music and culture.

Pardon me for this but now I'm going to share a bit of my history as a mix show DJ on the DNA-Hank Love Show on WHBI/WNWK 105.9 FM which was a 2 hour mix show where I would do a half hour mix every week from the years 1985 to 1988, so I've seen a lot of records come and go . I was fortunate to be the DJ that broke classics like "Just-Ice LaToya"

http://youtu.be/OK4hH-rnlR0

and "Put That Record Back On"

http://youtu.be/A0QuyZIWta0

which my much older colleagues like my friend Chuck Chillout, Red Alert and Marly Marl wouldn't play until a year after I broke it on the air.

#24 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

There were other records I considered standard bearers for the Sound of New York like Chubb Rock's "It's So Hot"

http://youtu.be/JVZ-YV4_aGY

Special Ed's "I Got It Made"

http://youtu.be/A5c00RHU_X4

As well Salt 'n' Pepa's Tramp

http://youtu.be/yvC3Ee5IAvk

and Kid 'n' Play's Last Night

http://youtu.be/Jf9R7J8kL8M

#25 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

This eventually evolved into the standard sounds ushered in by De La Soul, ATCQ, Gang Star, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Brand Nubian, so on and so on but sampling was the standard. Diddy bastardized New York by having his producers sample pop records from the 80's in a most corny diluted manner. Bad boy ushered in a sound that extremely soft, delicate and feminine. Diddy dressed rappers up in silly shiny outfits that rivaled Hammer's crazy pants and New York Hip Hop has been lost ever since.

#26 OfficeTime8889

OfficeTime8889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Peace officeTime,

Despite the fact that I disagree with you to some degree, please allow this born and bred Brooklyn native from East Flatbush share his historical perspective on this for a moment.

Absolutely, thank you for taking the time to provide your personal experiences in the field - - thats what forums are all about.

Regarding the:

- suppossed misconception that Turntablism originated in Brooklyn, as opposed to the Bronx - - I've never heard such a claim. Instrumental figures in what is recognized as the developmental stages of Hip-Hop tell a story of it starting in the Bronx; you can ask Kool Herc, GrandMaster Flash and/ or KRS-one about that.

Even then, I don't give much credence to the idea of a sole individul pioneering specific elements of Hip-Hop or any other genre; I say this in regards to the assertion that the Legendary Hitman Howie Tee is "music's True Father of sampling." Hip-Hop, as you wil acknowlege, is an amalgam of virutally all distinguished musical genres. No one man pioneerd sampling, breaking, emceeing, graffiti, or turntablism - - all of these pillars came into the fruition that we recognize through morph, not spontaneous idea or implementation.

In other words, Hip-Hops been around since the man could utter sound.

#27 joust1

joust1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

Gettin kinda' cool on Skate Rap crews, anywho, scary how this kid for being so young knows 90's throwback rap so well. Liked this album.

#28 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

[/center]

Absolutely, thank you for taking the time to provide your personal experiences in the field - - thats what forums are all about.

Regarding the:

- suppossed misconception that Turntablism originated in Brooklyn, as opposed to the Bronx - - I've never heard such a claim. Instrumental figures in what is recognized as the developmental stages of Hip-Hop tell a story of it starting in the Bronx; you can ask Kool Herc, GrandMaster Flash and/ or KRS-one about that.

Even then, I don't give much credence to the idea of a sole individul pioneering specific elements of Hip-Hop or any other genre; I say this in regards to the assertion that the Legendary Hitman Howie Tee is "music's True Father of sampling." Hip-Hop, as you wil acknowlege, is an amalgam of virutally all distinguished musical genres. No one man pioneerd sampling, breaking, emceeing, graffiti, or turntablism - - all of these pillars came into the fruition that we recognize through morph, not spontaneous idea or implementation.

In other words, Hip-Hops been around since the man could utter sound.

I differ with you on this especially when it comes to the fact that Hip Hop got it's start in Brooklyn then spread over to Queens and later got picked up by the Bronx where it was made famous.

Those guys from the BX as much as I may have love for their contributions know very damn well it was Brooklyn DJs like Grandmaster Flowers (Who Grandmaster Flash took his name from), DJ Pete Jones, The Smith Brothers, Nu Sounds, The Blue Gorillas, Lord Garth and Terry Tee who started it off, then cats in Queens like the Disco Twins, Jappy Jap, Mean T- Tom picked it up and then it reached up to the Bronx.

The B.S. story about the Bronx being the birthplace of hip hop is a huge corporate lie that started by a ultra wack newspaper article by a lazy and stupid journalist who for all I know was probably too afraid to come to Brooklyn.

As for sampling, something always start with one person and then others duplicating what that one person does. Howie Tee is that one person who started it all. Marley Marl who I have great respect for all the records he produced and mixed was not the first to sample, he figured out how Howie done it after a conversation with DJ Professor Paul in a studio. Paul performed the scratches on the Death City Boyz single "Bopsey Twins" and Marley was remixing the record and needed Paul to come in to redo the scratch solo which Marley couldn't do because Paul is a very precise and clean scratch DJ. Which can be heard at 3:25

Professor Paul was the DJ for the group E.S.P.

I take Hip Hop history very, very seriously. Too many people take Hip Hop for granted and to me I think it's very important that people know that absolute truth about it, where it comes from and how things got started.

#29 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

New Joey!

#30 HARD_BREAD

HARD_BREAD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

^That was my favorite joint off 1999, Joey making Brooklyn proud. Underachievers got next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users