Crystal Joker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:My Ganja, Oranges, Coffee
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/head-jamz

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Is this a good or decent product to use cuz im about to get one and im wondering if anyone who has or had it, liked it.

#2 soulREBEL360

soulREBEL360

Certified ST Dope(ness) Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/soulrebel360

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

Get the 303 or get ready for a headache.

#3 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

all of the boss and roland SP series suck for producing IMO, they dont even have an LCD screen to see what you're doing... it's impossible to work on one of those things standalone, it's not considered a production center for a reason. It is however a nice addition to a DJ set up, but I don't suggest the 202, stick with 404 or 555. Those come with the best effects.

So in summary, if you want to use it for DJ'ing and want to loop stuff and get nice effects, go with the 404 or 555. But for producing? stick with an MPC, it's much better workflow in terms of producing

#4 Crystal Joker

Crystal Joker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Go for the newer shit. Word

#5 QuincyBanks

QuincyBanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

all of the boss and roland SP series suck for producing IMO, they dont even have an LCD screen to see what you're doing... it's impossible to work on one of those things standalone, it's not considered a production center for a reason. It is however a nice addition to a DJ set up, but I don't suggest the 202, stick with 404 or 555. Those come with the best effects.

So in summary, if you want to use it for DJ'ing and want to loop stuff and get nice effects, go with the 404 or 555. But for producing? stick with an MPC, it's much better workflow in terms of producing

c'mon you can't say they suck, the game is how you use them. a lot of cats have made entire songs and even albums with only an sp... people you're probably listening to

#6 QuincyBanks

QuincyBanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

I've used midi/software, mpc, and sp. sold everything and I'm pretty comfortable with the sp. depends how you want to approach music. staring at software and waveforms can potentially mess up a creative process...

crystal joker, just do some research and watch youtube videos for a while and you'll come to a nice decision. not saying you should use something over the other, just choose what's right for how you want to work

#7 DJ Tav!k

DJ Tav!k

Beats 24/7

• Dismissed
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

staring at software and waveforms can potentially mess up a creative process...

How exactly does this mess up the creative process? if anything it gives you an advantage if you can see a visual representation of an audio file. And while it's true that some cats have produced entire albums on an Roland SP, it's really not the most efficient tool for producing, there are way better options out there. But what it comes down to is what your comfortable with at the end of the day.

#8 QuincyBanks

QuincyBanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

How exactly does this mess up the creative process? if anything it gives you an advantage if you can see a visual representation of an audio file. And while it's true that some cats have produced entire albums on an Roland SP, it's really not the most efficient tool for producing, there are way better options out there. But what it comes down to is what your comfortable with at the end of the day.

by having minimal visuals you begin to rely on feel and sound rather than what something looks like. when you bounce that final track nobody's going to see what your eq looked like nor how precisely you chopped a waveform; everything is left up to the ear.

approach, workflow, comfort

#9 Crystal Joker

Crystal Joker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Word thanks for the advice guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic