Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:www.basementaddicts.com
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/dawhud

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Posted Image

"Revisionist History". Originally this was going to be a compilation release, but budget issues, emcees and other projects pushed it to the back burner. As time passed, I had a handful of tracks and numerous beats, but ultimately it was shelved. (although I did let people hear the rough tracks that were finished) This project has been a long time coming and I decided to turn it into a monthly installment.

So, how do we set it off? What should be the 1st release/installment for "Revisionist History?" Since I've started making beats for this project and collected records, there have been many different tracks/beats to select from. Bottom line, the jump off needs to be something undeniable, something classic... something that everyone will get.

Zapp & Roger's classic "More Bounce To The Ounce" is probably one of the sickest beats of all time and it helped define a lot of the west coast's sound. EPMD, South Central Cartel, J. Dilla and COUNTLESS others have used this classic track from Zapp & Roger to make instant heat. At one point it was so OVER sampled that it was almost a cliche when you'd listen to a random west coast rapper. (much like Skull Snaps and Substitution break on a lot of east coast hip hop)

So... enough with the blah blah. The jump off for "Revisionist History" is a remix to Vintage Dope upcoming single "Cratebangin".

Peep

Vintage Dope - Cratebangin' (More Bounce Remix)

#2 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

BTW you can DL the track. B) Every month, 1st Friday, a new track will be added to the comp.

#3 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

Going to drop a new track on Friday kiddies.

#4 zmister

zmister

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

This is hot!

#5 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

Revisionist History" is in full swing as we roll into October and the final sprint of our election season. BUT, this is the ONLY "Revisionist History" you need to worry about. Last month, the jump off was a remix to Vintage Dope's debut single, "Cratebangin," with the classic Zapp and Roger "More Bounce to the Ounce" flip. Now that Summer is over and Fall is upon us, we need something classic that fits that shift. Cold... hard... and straight up mean. (The type of joint that when you hear it you make a "who farted" face.)

This month's flip is dedicated to all "U Suckas!!!"

www.basementaddicts.com
  • DAWHUD likes this

#6 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

The November release for "Revisionist History" is a nod to "Yo! MTV Raps", Ed Lover and the "Ed Lover Dance." We're taking on not only a classic track, but paying homage to an institution. And it doesn't just go out to Ed Lover, this one is for ALL the pioneers that started playing rap videos. This is a party jam.

"Yo! (Ed Lover)"

T-Money... Rock the HOUSE!!!
  • DAWHUD likes this

#7 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

This month's "Revisionist History" track is dedicated to what makes this project what it is. (diggin) Elbows deep in crates of records and finding that ill break.

Sly & The Family Stone's "Sing a Simple Song" is easily one of the funkiest drum breaks and has been used by damn near EVERYBODY. The horns and the drums are simply undeniable. From Dr. Dre's "Deep Cover" to Digital Underground's "The Humpty Dance" to KRS-One's "Sound of Da Police", this break has simply MADE CLASSIC HIP HOP.

The copy I found was from when I worked at a record shop in Seattle. It was in the dollar bin and scratched/well played. When I dropped the needle and heard how the drums were panned to one side/singled out and it was SO gritty, I just bugged out. So many cats want to clean up their samples, but I wanted it dirty and even threw it in the SP1200 to give it that 12bit sound.

This beat was one of the original tracks for the beat tape I made when I 1st thought up this project. It sat for a long while until I finally came up with something to do with it. (sadly years) At the time I moved on from the "Revisionist History" project and I was thinking of using it for the "Basement Sessions" follow up. I even came up with a concept for releasing this track, but who knows... it may resurface as a promo in the future. But... now with the rebirth of this project I thought I had to drop it for "Revisionist History".

"The Crackle" is simply that... a song about diggin', dope records, the grit, the grime and the imperfections that make records so much more appealing than microwave glossy music in this digital age.
  • DAWHUD likes this

#8 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

www.basementaddicts.com

Starting off a new year with another joint from the "Revisionist History" project. This track was one of the 1st songs that was laid down and some of you may have heard it, but here it is FINALLY and officially released. There's a LOT of back story behind this song and it's honestly one of the dopest recording experiences I've had.

When I first was thinking about this project and planting seeds, I was in the process of leaving Seatown, finishing "Basement Sessions" and trying to network with artists in Indy. (preemptive strike before I got there) I heard of The Mudkids, but didn't know they were from Naptown. When I discovered they were from Indy, I started a dialog with Rusty about the scene, what I did, what I was working on etc. I mentioned the "Revisionist History" project and he said he did a couple tracks along those lines in the past, one being a flip of Ultramagnetic MC's "Ego Trippin". He sent me the track and it was ON.

After hearing the track that Rusty did, I asked him if he would be down to do a pseudo sequel or a continuation of that song. He was down and I got to work on the SP. Meanwhile... a friend of mine from Seattle also did a flip of "Ego Trippin" and the Melvin Bliss/Substitution break. I asked Ced, who was the DJ for Likeminded, if he wanted to collab on this track. (Two beatmakers/DJs flipping the same break making two beats and one emcee ripping the track.) Ced was down and sent me the session files.

The version I did was some classic break beat boom bap and Ced's joint was more updated with a nod to the past. I thought the two together would seriously be a dope mixing of the two styles. The files, however, didn't translate well in my DAW. (and now looking back, I now know how I could have fixed the problem) Alas, I did the best I could and honestly I thought the two together were pretty dope. BUT, in order to get them to work I had to do a lot of cutting, pasting, splicing, chopping etc. Ced's original beat was becoming more and more a remix of his beat than his original. We went along with recording it as it was, but after I had a rough mix of the track with Rusty's vocals, Ced decided he wasn't liking it and wanted his portion to be taken out. In the long run he was right because it ended up becoming a better song.

I went back to the SP1200 and made another beat. I could have kept the same beat and kept it rocking through the whole track, but the idea of what Ced and I were doing was to keep it moving and changing up to keep the listener engaged. The foundation was the same with the Melvin Bliss break, but I wanted something else. On a couple of the other beats I made for the project I was not only flipping classic hip hop records, but kind of doing a mash up of different OG source samples. (Example: the main beat you'd hear would be the Tom Scott/T.R.O.Y. sample, but I'd chop "Impeach the President" to sound like the drum pattern to "Top Billin.") Having that concept in mind, I wanted to do the same with this song, but have it continuously progress and change on some DJ and emcee ish. The final product is a mix of Ultramagnetic, BDP, The Beatnuts, Public Enemy, Gangstarr and more.

As for recording the vocals... I already knew Rusty could rock a show. He truly is an emcee and a master of ceremony. I originally thought he was just going to do a redux version of the track he originally did, but I was in for a surprise. Rusty came through, walked into my studio, chopped it up for a few minutes about records and then got to work. I threw on the beat and he just sat down, pulled out his comp book and started writing. In what seemed like only 20 minutes or so, he had his rhymes done and was like, "Let's do this!" Not only had he come up with new lyrics on the spot, but it was some party rocking rhymes that were about him rollin' up to the spot, the dog barking at him, sitting down working on the song and what the "Revisionist History" project was. We hit record and within just a couple takes we were done. I honestly have only worked with a handful of people that have been able to do something like this and it was so dope to witness it in action.

ULTRA SOMETHIN' is some straight hip hop.

So without further delay, check this month's "Revisionist History" track "Ultra Somethin" and cop my man Rusy Redenbacher's new project "Lower."

#9 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

www.basementaddicts.com

Sometimes when I write, it takes forever... other times, it flows like water. This track was one of those joints that just came together quickly. In many ways, this project is forcing me to do that. BUT... in some ways the source material for this track started in February 2002, when I met my wife, so it's had time to build and develop.

At the start of the New Year I had no idea what to do for the upcoming month's installment. I was working on a couple things and listening to a lot of music, as I do during my long commutes everyday. I suddenly thought about taking on one of my favorite Slum Village tracks. But, instead of just sampling, chopping etc. I decided to replay it on my Fender Rhodes. "Fall In Love", in my opinion, is one of J. Dilla/Slum Village's most iconic songs. Being February and the anniversary of Dilla's birthday/death I decided to do the closest thing to a tribute that I could. These days, J. Dilla mixes and tributes are kind of a dime a dozen as he's become the underground 2pac, but I wanted to do something special that wasn't just the token ish you see on boards and blogs.

So... with the help of many artists I know and look up to, the song took shape. I'd ask their opinion, let them hear demos, ideas ets. I wanted to know if they thought I was on to something of if I was out of my mind because there's a thin line between paying homage and just looking like a buster. And with this dialog the 2nd half/verse came to be. I almost thought it was TOO crazy, but I thought the themes of the tracks and the vibe would work well together. In my opinion I think they do. (enter Common's classic "I Used To Love H.E.R.")

I could probably go on and on about the behind the scenes with this track or talk about what it could have been/become, but I honestly think the best thing to do is to just let it play.

#10 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Bonus cut for this month. Remixed "The Fall" just in time for Valentines Day. "Slow Jam" remix for the ladies. Ahhhhhhh YEAH!!!!

#11 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

One of the 1st beats made and recorded for this project was "True Lies". It was basically the blueprint for what "Revisionist History" was originally going to be. (a classic break and some dope emcees) I had just gotten my feet planted in Indy, "Basement Sessions" was in the process of final mixes and while I was figuring out my next move, this project started building steam. I've told bits and pieces of this story in other postings, but the only thing that's important is that despite the long road this project's here.

Rakim... what can I say that you haven't heard from a million other people. He's simply one of the illest to ever touch the mic. That being said, there was no way I couldn't flip something from Rakim's catalog for this project.

(enter "True Lies")

"Microphone Fiend" is one of my favorite Rakim cuts and I wanted to capture the feel of some dope cats just droppin' some rap ish on the mic. Long story short, some how was able to connect with Wildchild. (probably through Myspace... yes this track has that much of a history) I let him listen to a handful of beats and this was the joint that he wanted to rock to. In many ways he came up with the concept of the track. Everything else was after the fact. I think I wrote my verse, then Verb from Dolla Bin dropped the hook and after about a year or more Fash-1 was able to drop his.

As time passed and the project was kind of put up on the shelf, I had a rough version of this track out there, but it was kind of left at that. Now here we are... FINALLY!!! This track is honestly one of the high points of the music I've worked on and really embodies what this project is all about.

True Lies - Dawhud, Verbal Math (Dolla Bin), Fash-1 & Wildchild (Lootpack)

#12 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

This is probably one of the high points of all the tracks I've worked on. As a kid growing up, the thought of actually working with people you have pictures of on your walls or binder is just some crazy ish. There are a LOT of stories behind this song... who was involved, how it went down, what it could have been, but it probably couldn't have come out any other way AND it's classic the way it IS.

The short story and the one that matters...

1st heard this jam, Mr. Carlos Walkman/
On the bus rollin home with a Source in my hand/
Last page, Sure Shot, as the cassette drops/
Baby a$$, so smooth ride till the wheel stops/
Had the poster, torn from the magazine/
Binder gloss framed like a backpacker vaccine/
Front on a classic, other legends with the sickness/
Man I'm out 5,000, back to the crate business/

That's how I first heard Black Moon's - "I Gotch' Opin (remix)". This was one of those pivotal moments in my journey of 90s hip hop. That song was one of the cuts that made be pretty much quit listening to west coast rap music and jump on almost anything east coast related. I already was into Tribe, Gangstarr, Diamond D and Wu, but this kind of sealed the deal.

That being said, I HAD to flip this cut and pay my respects to one of my favorite tracks of all time! And what better way to do it than to have some of the emcees you've looked up to for SO long on the track too. (Prince Po and Moka Only)

Don't Front...

http://dawhud.bandca...front-we-gotcha

#13 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:49 AM

This track, like some of the other "Revisionist History" cuts, has had a LONG story. And HONESTLY, it's only recently been finished. For years this track sat with just one verse, then a hook and then finally a second verse, but still only 2/3 finished. I then moved back from Indy and the PC with the session files sat in storage for the good part of a year. The project was basically shelved and then through inspiration via DJ Ian Head, the project was resurrected. There's been a long list of homies and emcees were slated for this song and as projects, schedules and life got in the way, this track sat on the sideline.

Like many of the beats I made for this project I wanted to nod to classic hip hop tracks and create something new. Sometimes this ended up in using material that was reference to a few classics all in one. This cut is a complete example of that. Kool G Rap, ODB, Rob Bass... heck CB4 (via Kool G Rap)

I originally contacted Pacewon to drop a verse and was talking with a few people I knew about finishing it. In these phone conversations and emails I basically came up with the hook as an homage to what ODB did on Wu-Tang's "Shame On a Nuh" and got Pacewon to drop it.

Then it sat... budget... emcees... life... etc.

It was a few months before I was going to head back to Seattle and I was talking with A.C.E.-One about working on a completely different track. He rolled through to work on something and missed my house/got lost. (which most people did 1st time coming to my place in Indy) I gave him directions once I found out where he was and then about 15-20 minutes after he didn't show up I looked out the front door to see this 80s style truck that was broke down. It was A.C.E. I walked out front and helped him get his truck to the side of the street so he could call to get it towed. As he was getting his rhyme book, keys and other things out of his truck I remember a .22 falling off the bench seat and he quickly picked it up and put it in his pants. HAHAHA We got inside, he made a call, I got him a beer and was ready to work on a different song. I don't remember how, but he heard this track and was like, "YO, I WANNA DO THIS!" We did a couple takes to warm up and then A.C.E. decided he wanted to go with this back and forth style, 1 bar on one take and then answer it on the other take. Just back and forth... it was ill. Such energy... that's why A.C.E. is one of the illest emcees out of Naptow. (period)

So, here we are, 2/3 of the track is finished and the "Revisionist History" project is back in full swing. It's been too long to sit on it and there's no reason to not finish it. (Enter Luvva-J) Picked him up, he sat down, wrote his verse and in two takes was done. BOOM!!! That's how V-Dope gets down.

It may have taken forever to finish this song, but it was worth it and the song came out dope because it wasn't rushed.

A.C.E.-One, Pacewon & Luvva-J - Watchin' My Style

#14 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

No Delayin' (Stop Watch mix)

Best laid plans. Originally there was a different track planned for the June release, but things just didn't pan out. Instead I found myself remixing a track that I haven't even released yet. And oddly without me even thinking about it, the track fit SO well with what it's paying homage to. I even made a reference to O.C.'s classic in the rhymes when I did the original. (even if it was NEVER intended that way)

This song I originally wrote when I first moved from Seattle to Indy. I had just finished principal recording of "Basement Sessions" and was in this in-between phase of what my next move was going to be. I was kind of bored with just working on post production for "Basement Sessions" and at the time didn't have access to my gear, records etc. I just had my laptop and a removable harddrive with drums. From that short period I created the original version of this song and the redux version of "Lyrics & Beats". Maybe the original version will see the light of day, but for now it's getting the remix treatment.

I'm just going to keep it simple... the name, the flip... BOOM!

No Delayin' (Stop Watch mix)

#15 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:02 AM

V-Dope Biz

Vintage Dope has been the side project that's been bubbling for a minute. We dropped a snippet tape, "Cratebangin" and the remix for the 1st "Revisionist History" installment. Here we are at the beginning of summer and we need something that will reflect the change in season. For instance... when it gets warmer, I bust out my "Hellified Gangsta Sh!t" playlist for the car. To quote Luvva-J, "I had to do it baby!"

This was actually the song I was wanting to drop last month, but scheduling got in the way. Good things come to those who wait and here we are. I'm not going to lie, I think this is one of the hardest songs I have EVER heard about crate diggin', DJing, etc.and that's GOOD. I honestly think if you're going to do a side project it better be different from what you're normally putting out. It defeats the purpose of doing something different if it doesn't sound different. And that's what Vintage Dope is. When I try to explain it to a lot of people, they don't seem to understand it, but once they hear it, they're on board. (hop on the train homie)

And although "Cratebangin" was already released, I truly think this track is more of a introduction into the vibe and group. Simply put, this track is "V-Dope Biz."

Let's set the summer off with some ILL V-Dope ISH!!! Get on down baby!

&color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_artwork=true" width="100%" height="166">

#16 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Psudo reup/bump

I'm in the process of having a limited run of "Revisionist History" on red cassette tapes. (only 50 total)

Featurning...
Prince Po
Moka Only
Wildchild
Pacewon
Ace One
Fash-1
Verba Math
Vintage Dope

I will be opening up presales to people that have DL'd or purchased music off the Bandcamp page before the tape is available to the public.

If you would like to be included in the presales, simply DL one of the tracks/LPs from the page and you will be added to the mailing list.

www.dawhud.bandcamp.com
www.basementaddicts.com

Posted Image
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#17 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Today is the last day to get on the mailing list for pre-orders for the limited edition of "Revisionist History Vol. 1" red cassette tape. People on the mailing list will have 1st dibs on the cassette and I will be sending out the email TOMORROW.

If you want to be on the mailing list, simply DL one of the releases at www.dawhud.bandcamp.com

Don't sleep.

#18 DAWHUD

DAWHUD

Sucker free since 79!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

Preorder the limited edition cassette version of "Revisionist History Vol. 1" now. (50 total) The shipment should arrive within the week and all orders will be shipped out accordingly. Get your hands on the red/gold book on tape while you can.

https://www.paypal.c...d=9J4ZRX7QMVAF4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users