Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

An official "STBB behind the beat" thread?

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#151 seesub

seesub

Rookie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Rewiring Reason and Cubase isnt that hard, many tutorials really help, and like you can imagine, it saves a lot of time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhjUFuZLl0U

try this Joa

I use Maschine and export into cubase.

Does anyone know how to export tracks from maschine without the export menu, drag and drop into cubase should be possible?!

click and drag: Posted Image

it will bring the current group/pattern as audio

#152 BEATASSASSIN

BEATASSASSIN

Rookie

• Dismissed
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

What it do? Artist/Producer checking in. As an artist I go by SUICIDE A.K.A. INFERNO as a producer I go by BEATASSASSIN. I'm tryna perfect my craft but at the time being, I wanna see how I stack up. Whens the battle go down?? btw I call myself SUICIDE cause I kill my own beats!!
https://soundcloud.c...a-boi-ao/2014-1

#153 breakmastercylinder

breakmastercylinder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/breakmaster-cylinder

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

this last post is killing me
  • Tastik BEATS and EdTheYounger like this

#154 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, podcasts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

Don't mind the court jester.
  • Tastik BEATS likes this

#155 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:23 AM

#156 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

What kills me is that this thread is directly under the rules/FAQ and he STILL had to ask

#157 LeftFoot1st

LeftFoot1st

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Art, Advertising, Graphic Design, Photography....
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/leftfoot1st

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:03 AM

Damn, I think they call him Suicide because he kills threads.... haven't seen shit being posted in here for awhile.

#158 breakmastercylinder

breakmastercylinder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

OK. WHO WANTS TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH ME ABOUT METHODS OF BOOSTING YOUR TRACK VOLUME WITHOUT DISTORTION?

There are limiters, there's the loudness maximizer on Ozone, there are any number of compressors with gain knobs...

How do you personally get your track to bump loudly without frying the mix?

Thank you kindly,

BMC

#159 PADYBU

PADYBU

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:beats.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/padybu

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:07 AM

OK. WHO WANTS TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH ME ABOUT METHODS OF BOOSTING YOUR TRACK VOLUME WITHOUT DISTORTION?

There are limiters, there's the loudness maximizer on Ozone, there are any number of compressors with gain knobs...

Thank you kindly,

BMC

I'm no expert but I'd turn up the volume on FL's Stereo Enhancer or play with the equalizer 

#160 breakmastercylinder

breakmastercylinder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:13 PM

I'm no expert but I'd turn up the volume on FL's Stereo Enhancer or play with the equalizer 

Sure, you can totally do that! I'm sort of aiming for as close to professional studio-level loudness and clarity as I can. No combination of gains/volumes does it to my satisfaction yet.

I can tell you I slap around a -8db limiter on the master, mix it low so the faders are around the halfway point, I equalize each track separately to get rid of the frequencies that aren't being used so there isn't any weird sonic buildup, I don't use compression on each track very much but sometimes sidechain the kick to the bass, I parallel compress to make the drums bump, I lightly compress the peaks on the master, I will sometimes add a small boost with a loudness maximizer on the master but not so it distorts (since I already have a limiter)... etc.

Never feels loud and clear enough. Many of the beats submitted each week are a huge improvement on mine just overall volume-wise.

Inevitably if multiple people start responding to this someone will mention that volume isn't the ultimate goal here. Which is true, but let's assume we want that.

#161 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Sure, you can totally do that! I'm sort of aiming for as close to professional studio-level loudness and clarity as I can. No combination of gains/volumes does it to my satisfaction yet.

I can tell you I slap around a -8db limiter on the master, mix it low so the faders are around the halfway point, I equalize each track separately to get rid of the frequencies that aren't being used so there isn't any weird sonic buildup, I don't use compression on each track very much but sometimes sidechain the kick to the bass, I parallel compress to make the drums bump, I lightly compress the peaks on the master, I will sometimes add a small boost with a loudness maximizer on the master but not so it distorts (since I already have a limiter)... etc.

Never feels loud and clear enough. Many of the beats submitted each week are a huge improvement on mine just overall volume-wise.

Inevitably if multiple people start responding to this someone will mention that volume isn't the ultimate goal here. Which is true, but let's assume we want that.

Yeah man you do what I do pretty much, I'll eq around the bass to make the kick knock then the same in the other sounds to get the the snare the same, I do tend to use mulitband compression more these days to get clarity on the percs, Master buss I eq and use a freq analyser to make sure nothing is peaking over, Compression on the master buss make sure my level isn't going over -10, I then export the track out as a stereo file in floating 32 bit. I then open that up and then slap the Brainworx XL, Ozone is dope, but this one is banoodles, I sort the bass out and boost that, then the mid, then the side, I sidechain the side to the mid and then I'm done.

I find after you have surgically removed nasty frequencies, when you boost the entire track it doesn't hurt, it's about getting the mids right, and the mud in the low end. 

#162 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:23 PM

2 ideas: parallel compression on what you want to be loudest. "New York" style compression. Go crazy with it! Also don't be afraid to hit the limiter a bit hot... As long as your mix is good. Big tip though? Multi band. AT LEAST separate the bass out of the compressor with side chain. Don't let the bass choke the mix compressor, treat them separately

#163 Scottie Royal

Scottie Royal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/scottie_royal

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:45 AM

Thank you kindly,

BMC

I have this problem too. Often I find my tracks being about 4-5 notches lower compared to many other comparable tracks. I don't get it because my track is peaking at -.02 so I can't wrap my head around it.

I track out my entire beat (typically 15-20 tracks), EQ them (mostly high passes on everything, but bass and kick. Making cuts wheres needed, boost sometimes.). Usually no compression, except on my bass tracks (electronic or synth). I'll add soft clippers as well. I make sure I have about -6 DB of headroom on the mix before I bounce all the tracks. 

I open up the bounced file in a new session of Reaper, open up an instance of T-Racks and use one of their mastering limiter presets, because I figure those guys know a lot more about mastering than I do. Of course I'll tweak that chain a bit to  my liking and also add an EQ and soft clipper. So my chain looks like:

Compression-->EQ-->Image expander (sometimes)-->Soft Clipper (1-2 db gain)-->multiband limiter (6 db+ gain).

Even with all this, I find my music to be a bit low, but like you said BMC volume isn't the ultimate goal b/c the listener can easily compensate with their volume knob, but still I would like to know why they have to to begin with! 

#164 Kurdish Jackson

Kurdish Jackson

Rookie

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:53 AM

yo friends...

actually i wanted to make a video how i do it and know that others also do. at the end u can use the vid for finding u own way of sound.

i got a bit of experience doing that. so if someone else got questions hit me up on facebook. search my name and ull find it..

big up

#165 breakmastercylinder

breakmastercylinder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

Yeah man you do what I do pretty much, I'll eq around the bass to make the kick knock then the same in the other sounds to get the the snare the same, I do tend to use mulitband compression more these days to get clarity on the percs, Master buss I eq and use a freq analyser to make sure nothing is peaking over, Compression on the master buss make sure my level isn't going over -10, I then export the track out as a stereo file in floating 32 bit. I then open that up and then slap the Brainworx XL, Ozone is dope, but this one is banoodles, I sort the bass out and boost that, then the mid, then the side, I sidechain the side to the mid and then I'm done.

I find after you have surgically removed nasty frequencies, when you boost the entire track it doesn't hurt, it's about getting the mids right, and the mud in the low end. 

Holy shit, "banoodles". I want things that are that.

I totally have mud, which eqing will help, but multiband compression sounds like a brilliant plan cause I have never once bothered to learn about it. 

I think I tried it once and it squashed my sound so I got scared and left it alone. But I'm sure all I was doing was setting my attack too quickly.

Thanks for the advice man! Multiband it is. I'll take a look at Brainworx, although if I just bothered to learn the multiband compression I already have available to me, that'd be a good start. Lazy ass cylinder.

Surgery sounds good.

2 ideas: parallel compression on what you want to be loudest. "New York" style compression. Go crazy with it! Also don't be afraid to hit the limiter a bit hot... As long as your mix is good. Big tip though? Multi band. AT LEAST separate the bass out of the compressor with side chain. Don't let the bass choke the mix compressor, treat them separately

I love NY compression on drums. And I kind of do that when I have vocals to work with... just the original take alone sounds way too thin so I double the vocals, drop the pitch slightly, compress the shit out of them, pan them wide, and bring them up just a little. Sometimes delay helps them sit in the mix pretty well, but getting vocals to "sit" well is a whole other topic for sure...

I will totally try multiband!! I've got ozone and I've used everything there except multiband cause it looked daunting. That's my new mission. I'm positive that a big problem for me is using the same compression for all frequencies. That doesn't even make sense when you think about it.

I have this problem too. Often I find my tracks being about 4-5 notches lower compared to many other comparable tracks. I don't get it because my track is peaking at -.02 so I can't wrap my head around it.

I track out my entire beat (typically 15-20 tracks), EQ them (mostly high passes on everything, but bass and kick. Making cuts wheres needed, boost sometimes.). Usually no compression, except on my bass tracks (electronic or synth). I'll add soft clippers as well. I make sure I have about -6 DB of headroom on the mix before I bounce all the tracks. 

I open up the bounced file in a new session of Reaper, open up an instance of T-Racks and use one of their mastering limiter presets, because I figure those guys know a lot more about mastering than I do. Of course I'll tweak that chain a bit to  my liking and also add an EQ and soft clipper. So my chain looks like:

Compression-->EQ-->Image expander (sometimes)-->Soft Clipper (1-2 db gain)-->multiband limiter (6 db+ gain).

Even with all this, I find my music to be a bit low, but like you said BMC volume isn't the ultimate goal b/c the listener can easily compensate with their volume knob, but still I would like to know why they have to to begin with! 

I think mix-wise your tracks are REALLY clean. I'm totally impressed. That volume thing is tricky, I'm gonna try multiband and see if clearing some of the mud out of my mix allows me to boost the levels without frying everything.

I would like to know why too. 

I apply mastering effects directly to my original project file, which I'm beginning to think is a mistake. You (and ODK) said you bounce to a new session; not only would I be using less processing power but then I'd still have my original project file to go back to if I completely fuck the mix up and want to start again.

On the other hand I have to be 100% sure I like my mix before I bounce. I do change my mind a lot.

I don't use much compression either, because like you we don't write pounding dance music with so many elements that you have to sort of wedge them together in the mix. It's possible I should be applying just a little bit to each basic element though - bass and synth especially. I get that compression is supposed to be like "glue" but I am not savvy enough to use just the right amount yet.

yo friends...

actually i wanted to make a video how i do it and know that others also do. at the end u can use the vid for finding u own way of sound.

i got a bit of experience doing that. so if someone else got questions hit me up on facebook. search my name and ull find it..

big up

That could only be helpful ~ post a link when it's done! I watched a Ozone 4 Multiband tutorial vid after ODK and Grifty recommended it, I find watching people work to be really useful.

Thanks for reaching out, I might totally ask your advice at some point.

#166 ODK

ODK

Lab Cook

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:Socks, Toilet Rolls, and Vegetable Samosas!
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/i-am-heisenberg

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

Best Multiband I have found is fabfilter, and yeah export your mix before your going to master it, also forgot to mention getting the levels right and placement, Start with the heartbeat of the beat, the kick, then the bass, you want the both of them so you can hear them but tell the difference, then start adding the other parts one by one, when you get mud or sharpness occuring you can tell a lot quicker, which sounds have just elbow dropped the tune, then go in and whip the frequency out thats miss behaving. And if I remember what this guy told me last year, it's not about volume in the mix, you got to get that right so when you got to boost your exported wav, you can boost it through the roof, like Akuma dragon punching pap smurf, Boom !!

#167 breakmastercylinder

breakmastercylinder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

Best Multiband I have found is fabfilter, and yeah export your mix before your going to master it, also forgot to mention getting the levels right and placement, Start with the heartbeat of the beat, the kick, then the bass, you want the both of them so you can hear them but tell the difference, then start adding the other parts one by one, when you get mud or sharpness occuring you can tell a lot quicker, which sounds have just elbow dropped the tune, then go in and whip the frequency out thats miss behaving. And if I remember what this guy told me last year, it's not about volume in the mix, you got to get that right so when you got to boost your exported wav, you can boost it through the roof, like Akuma dragon punching pap smurf, Boom !!

Thanks man! That was clear and precise.

Don't have the time to try this process out this week (or probably next, damn it) but I'll definitely try it out on some hip hop projects I haven't finished yet.

Appreciate the response, everyone.

#168 breakmastercylinder

breakmastercylinder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

holy hell multiband.

i will have an example of my first attempt with this soon.

#169 ras dude

ras dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Interests:drumming, glaucoma medication, shit from the 70's, podcasts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

i create my own multiband chain within Reason, but only like 2-3 bands max cause lazy. Usually high, lows, and wherever the snare might hang out on the master.

Recently started playing with this thing from Waves. http://www.waves.com...band-compressor

Cool feature on the device is that each band can also raise the gain if it goes past the set threshold. This way you can have certain frequencies compress while others sexpand. 

As far as loudness I'm always experimenting. I think music in general is way too loud these days. I find it more difficult to achieve that mainstream avg. level in the boom bap style with the kick n snare up front in the mix affecting peaks. I could squash the fuck out of my jams, but rather just turn it up on my own system. 

#170 Sixfingerz

Sixfingerz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

That's exactly what i do too as final step.

#171 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

Yeah I usually do the same. (Not that all my mixers have been great or anything) bounce to 1 track. EQ, compress, image, MB eq, clip then limit.

I've also read of engineers doing a double clip and double limit so right at the end they will clip, limit then add another (soft/light) clip and then limit again... supposedly they get an extra 2db with that method and no real quality loss. I'm yet to try though.

Peace.

#172 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

so a soft clipper like a distortion unit?  know of any articles about this wizardry?

#173 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

so a soft clipper like a distortion unit?  know of any articles about this wizardry?

Hey grifty, I originally read it here http://www.musictech...stering-part-2/ under the 'take it to the limit' section. It's not very in depth on the how toos but still explains the concept. It basically suggests multiple limiters instead of just one limiter hitting 7db

#174 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Do you guys mix in headphones or monitors (predominantly)? I just got some new monitors after 3 months of reading reviews and penny pinching lol. I read you should start a mix at low volume on monitors then midway through switch to cans for EQs and general tweaks and then back to monitors for the mastering/final stages..? Just wondering what you guys use generally when starting a beat and throughout the process? I made my first beat solely on the monitors last night and it didn't translate to well to the headphones, which to my understanding, the opposite should be the case... Could just be because I just got them and I'm not used to the sound yet but thought I'd throw it out there and see if you guys had any input.

Cheers,

Peace!

#175 Scottie Royal

Scottie Royal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/scottie_royal

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Do you guys mix in headphones or monitors (predominantly)? I just got some new monitors after 3 months of reading reviews and penny pinching lol. I read you should start a mix at low volume on monitors then midway through switch to cans for EQs and general tweaks and then back to monitors for the mastering/final stages..? Just wondering what you guys use generally when starting a beat and throughout the process? I made my first beat solely on the monitors last night and it didn't translate to well to the headphones, which to my understanding, the opposite should be the case... Could just be because I just got them and I'm not used to the sound yet but thought I'd throw it out there and see if you guys had any input.

Cheers,

Peace!

I usually mix with both, my headphones seem to allow me to monitor bass better. I listen to my mix on a lot of different things (car, nice headphones, shit headphones, boombox, ipod earbuds), when it starts to sound good across the board, that's when I know the mix is almost done. Part of it is learning your monitors too though.

On a side note, at the beat battle I was at on Friday my stuff sounded pretty decent, so I'm sticking with my method of mastering I mentioned earlier in this thread. Oh yea, I won and beat a bunch of trapped out beats for the most part...kind of sad considering NC had somewhat of a hip hop renaissance in the early to mid 2000s.

• breakmastercylinder and EdTheYounger like this

#176 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

Brand new monitors/speakers/headphones almost always take 90 to a few hundred hours of burn in time!
  • EdTheYounger likes this

#177 Sixfingerz

Sixfingerz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Wassup peeps,

The winners of last weeks Battle NikLaze and K∇W∆lZK¥ in Today's Top story Special !

We Talked about their setup, thought on sample, working method,..etc

Interview here:

http://www.beatmakology.com/

We intend to do these on a weekly base, no strings attached.

Peace

#178 EdTheYounger

EdTheYounger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

Brand new monitors/speakers/headphones almost always take 90 to a few hundred hours of burn in time!

Thanks man! I actually forgot about that process lol! I got a pink noise/freq file off of gearslutz that I'll pump while I'm at work. Cheers for the heads up brother!

One.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users