394 replies to this topic

#211 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

I went digging today for the first time in a very long time. I got a bit compulsive about it in the past and was happy that I walked out empty-handed. I never used to mind my digs, but now I will not visit my frequent spots and would only schedule a dig somewhere moldy. I have been looking for that rare BroKing album where he plays flute and harmonica. Need to cop that shit.

#212 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

what do you look for when you dig, Boogie?

Posted Image

i snagged these today downstairs at my work...some guy had a table set up where he was selling panoramic photography pieces pasted onto vinyl records.

i noticed the stack of records behind the table, and asked him if i may take a peek.

#213 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

you know, boogie only digs for that rare shit, that super christian straight man shit
Posted Image
  • AzMatic likes this

#214 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

^ is there an acapella on side b of dat shit???
haha, i'd flip a Belieber remix if i felt like it...
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#215 DJ Pete Marriott

DJ Pete Marriott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | Seattle, WA | Vancouver, BC

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

Well I got these today...

Posted Image

And this yesterday...

Posted Image

But right now my mind is studying this....

Posted Image

#216 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

what do you look for when you dig, Boogie?

eh, it is nothing special. My mind was programmed from an early age. The rack selection always goes: Hip Hop (My fingers were quick on the draw and had a mind of their own/spent too much money on this in the past)-Punk (usually new arrivals section)-Soul Section-Jazz (hardest to avoid and I try hard because so difficult to walk away with nothing)-classical--and then creepy/gay/ironic sample shit. I love the Jazz shit the most. There is really no order--I generally get my ideas from what I see before me. I agree with a lot of diggers regarding analyzing the cover-who the musicians are...and I love vicious drums. After doing it for so long and now reading what I read on the internet--everyone is the same in how they go about it.

you know, boogie only digs for that rare shit, that super christian straight man shit

Step off my cacahuates, puto.

#217 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

eh, it is nothing special. My mind was programmed from an early age. The rack selection always goes: Hip Hop (My fingers were quick on the draw and had a mind of their own/spent too much money on this in the past)-Punk (usually new arrivals section)-Soul Section-Jazz (hardest to avoid and I try hard because so difficult to walk away with nothing)-classical--and then creepy/gay/ironic sample shit. I love the Jazz shit the most. There is really no order--I generally get my ideas from what I see before me. I agree with a lot of diggers regarding analyzing the cover-who the musicians are...and I love vicious drums. After doing it for so long and now reading what I read on the internet--everyone is the same in how they go about it.

didn't expect to read that you dig for Punk, haha. that is a hard fucking genre to sample from...i've tried it numerous times with little to no success. still trying though, one of these days i'm gonna release a beat tape filled with black metal samples cause that's pretty much the final frontier for shit that hasn't been sampled by hip-hop producers yet.

#218 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

yeah, I still feel punk in my veins--no matter what. I was born a hip-hop head--but somewhere along the subtlety in punk made more sense: it is the only way that you can get through to people through a composition. People only care to hear a few seconds of soundbites anyways.

I have looked up lists on the internet for "how-tos" on sampling (just for kicks) and what-not and always found it funny that they would always state something along the lines of: "do not sample-this or that" and I would look back to my mixes and find hours of that stuff being sampled.

I am not a talented beatmaker in any sense (well, its always a work in progress and I generally stand behind the art). I have an understanding of music and have been programmed by popular media enough to understand rhythmic patterns. I am always trying to communicate and touch the listener in some capacity with what I create. I think I through a period of time where it was too difficult to communicate verbally with people. No joke. I disliked talking to groups of people and rather enjoyed just playing musical selections and watching people react to what I was doing. If I am out at a bar and music is playing--I cannot avert my ears from the music. It is impossible.

I suppose that is why you are a film student. You will not find it easy communicating with others because they are on some other shit entirely. They are stuck in the immediacy of the now--when you have instead been everywhere but now.

I spent a lot of time running open mics and djing for free just to keep the buzz going (I was nice on the freestyle circuit in a previous life. I did not believe in writtens). I appreciated the people that would groove to it(I was a hit with the nerdy black set and the dope ass Mexican chefs and busboys at restaurants-mainly of course there were the friends of friends who were musicians that dug what I was doing) but, you cannot help that you cannot get a proper audience to play in front of. If Flash came to town today--I am sure only ten people would show to see him. That is why I remained a Lib fan--he was the only guy to make me remember that experience and let me know that what I was doing was still pretty fresh as he was also someone working with music in that weird way.

My City proved itself to be whack over the many years and NO ONE was doing what I was doing. (My DJ/producer partner from a smaller city always referred to my shit as "weird, artsy stuff" but I thought it normal/I do not think he was much of a Madlib guy) It was all so weird to me. Now given the Dilladickriders are all in rare form and they are crawling out of the soulless cracks like cockroaches to jack some sugary treats that he has left behind (20 years too late in my book) there may be room for some of my work. I am just trying to help put a real imprint on some people's lesser work. In short, we all do what feels right on a track. And a lot of times you start talking to a dude who you idolized through your many digs and you realize why you set off on the venture in the first place.

#219 Jubito

Jubito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:40 & A BLUNT, light1up, light the doobie 'till it glow like a ruby
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/jubitoo

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

didn't expect to read that you dig for Punk, haha. that is a hard fucking genre to sample from...i've tried it numerous times with little to no success. still trying though, one of these days i'm gonna release a beat tape filled with black metal samples cause that's pretty much the final frontier for shit that hasn't been sampled by hip-hop producers yet.

This is actually sample-able
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTb7z2kQF8
These mental patients provide good vocal samples though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br5tyuEUBWE

Check out Silencer for some extra vocal samples in case you haven't.

I want to hear that tape!
  • James Frank. likes this

#220 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

Got some Christmas money from my mom to go buy records, hit 3 spots.

Dorothy Ashby - Afro-Harping
Audio Letter - It Is This It Is Not This (Neti-Neti)
Scott Cossu - Still Moments
Laco Deczi - Cellula/New York
First Cosins Jazz Ensemble - For The Cos Of Jazz
Jack Dejohnette Directions - Cosmic Chicken
Jon Lord - Gemini Suite
Van Makas - Xpoma
Scandalous John OST
Tom Scott - Rural Still Life
Standard School Broadcast - Music Makers Woodwinds and Reeds
Gabor Szabo - Dreams

Never heard these before but they looked dope.
  • D'MosPhree likes this

#221 Mowgli

Mowgli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

nice finds! i like the first cosins jazz ensemble record a lot, pretty cool stuff and that tom scott isn't the greatest but the tracks "rural still life #26" and "with respect to john coltrane" i dig a lot. def worth it for a cheap grab. still need gabors "dreams" though, suppose to be a dope one and i always need some ashby. anyways, keep us posted on whats up with the rest of those unfamiliars..

within the last week:

the moments - my thing (finally found a nice and clean copy)
black ivory - baby, wont you change your mind
airto - seeds on the ground
michael whites magic music company - go with the flow
space - carry one, turn me on/tango in space 12"
ivan lins - agora
the section - forward motion
jeanette lawson - dindi/two litte rooms 7"
dexter wansel - life on mars
big blue marble - big blue marble kids television soundtrack
jazz corporation music - the grab bag ( audio directions vol. 1 )

#222 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Life on mars was the first non hip hop album I ever bought. Really good stuff on there. Got a few more today.

Gabor Szabo - Spellbinder
Lalo Schrifin - The Fox OST
David Friesen - Color Pool
Jack Dejohnette's Special Edition - Inflation Blues

Gabor Szabo's Dreams is fire, the Scott Cossu I got was some nice piano solos, Audio Letter is crazy abstract but very enjoyable at times, David Friesen is a bass player from Portland, OR and he's really dope, I'd recommend Color Pools and I will personally buy more from him if I see any.

#223 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Interests:Music and bikes

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

Life on mars was the first non hip hop album I ever bought. Really good stuff on there. Got a few more today.

Lalo Schrifin - The Fox OST
David Friesen - Color Pool
Jack Dejohnette's Special Edition - Inflation Blues

Gabor Szabo's Dreams is fire, the Scott Cossu I got was some nice piano solos, Audio Letter is crazy abstract but very enjoyable at times, David Friesen is a bass player from Portland, OR and he's really dope, I'd recommend Color Pools and I will personally buy more from him if I see any.

That Gabor Szabo is awesome...

#224 AzMatic

AzMatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Rap/Hip-Hop, Basketball, Retro Video Games, Graphic Art, Books, TV & Movies, Music in General.
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/ryan-bingham-2/

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:57 PM

Picked up these over the weekend in Akron, Ohio
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#225 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

Damn azmatic that's some nice shit for one trip. I almost grabbed that mountain album the other day and I always scoop mystic moods I don't have. Nice pickups
  • AzMatic likes this

#226 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

^ this. i just sampled a track off of Szabo's "High Contrast" the other day...shit is straight fire the whole way through.

#227 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

I've been buying Szabo like crazy lately. Can't get enough if his shit in the mid to late 60's. His name is familiar in circles like this board, but dude is a legendary artist in my book, people should hear his music.

#228 CertafiedBluntHead

CertafiedBluntHead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:14 AM

also check out the chico hamilton impulse stuff from the mid 60s, gabor played on most of those and included a composition or two which usually ends up being my favorite song on the album, love that gypsy guitar style, another awesome album that reminds me a lot of this kinda gabor sound is

Posted Image

highly suggested, think i'm gonna go pull out my copy for a morning coffee and smoke while the snow keep piling up outside my window
  • Dirty Cyclist likes this

#229 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

think i'm gonna go pull out my copy for a morning coffee and smoke

This is my life on the weekends.

I bought a dope stack of records this weekend at 4 shops, I'll post the list soon, got some well known rares and a couple obscure ones too as well as all the Szabo I came across.

#230 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

I just got a test pressing of a Rufas Thomas reissue on Third Man Records... I'm afraid it might be for sale if it is worth anything because I could use some more classic jazz records.

#231 Beatronome

Beatronome

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

^ is there an acapella on side b of dat shit???
haha, i'd flip a Belieber remix if i felt like it...

• James Frank. likes this

#232 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:18 PM

It's a f*cK!ng tuba:

Posted Image

#233 Beatronome

Beatronome

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/beatronome

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Posted Image

#234 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

I'm pretty sure my UPS and Mail carriers hate my fucking guts because they been delivering boxes of 45's to me everyday for the past two weeks...

Whenever I go on an edigging phase, I'm afraid the post office is gonna freak. I live in an apartment and they usually can't fit more than 2 or 3 records in my pathetic mailbox so they have to come back to refill once I actually remember to get the mail. I'm usually too fucked up to walk the entire 50 feet to the mailbox, then I gotta fucks with the keys and shit...

#235 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

Posted Image

#236 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Posted Image

any verdict(s) yet?

#237 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

any verdict(s) yet?

all of them = pretty fucking good. that album artwork on the right makes me laugh every time i see it though...

#238 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

Whenever I go on an edigging phase, I'm afraid the post office is gonna freak. I live in an apartment and they usually can't fit more than 2 or 3 records in my pathetic mailbox so they have to come back to refill once I actually remember to get the mail. I'm usually too fucked up to walk the entire 50 feet to the mailbox, then I gotta fucks with the keys and shit...

lol you get too fucked up to even walk to your mailbox?
:huh:

#239 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

I didn't say I was proud...
  • Beatronome and Dirty Cyclist like this

#240 Dirty Cyclist

Dirty Cyclist