18 replies to this topic

#1 Vilens

Vilens

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

I cannot believe there are so few posts on this. This album is really really dope. It easily blows MED's classic out of the water even though they are completely different genres of music.

ST releases a fair amount of stuff that plain sucks at times and tries too hrad to be different but this just sounds like new music that is a re-envisioning of the Talking Heads, ill.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LEmkmCXhwR0

(and no i did not download it, the radio promo copy was sent to me by my contact at ST)

#2 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

stepkids are great, the album is dope. i too got a preview copy, and can say that the album is a varied (if consistently spacey) ride through psychedelic takes on some great soul styles. Legend in my Own Mind is a personal favorite but the blatant Sly homage Santos & Ken is also pretty awesome. definitely slept on on the boards but I expect/hope that will change when the album actually drops. It is cool to see them getting awesome psychedelic colored 12" releases though.

#3 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

(and no i did not download it, the radio promo copy was sent to me by my contact at ST)

Suuuuuuuurrrre. So did my contact

Nah but I haven't even really heard about them. I'm impressed after checking that vid but I'm not really seeing any reviews or promo on blogs or anywhere.

#4 Vilens

Vilens

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

Suuuuuuuurrrre. So did my contact

Nah but I haven't even really heard about them. I'm impressed after checking that vid but I'm not really seeing any reviews or promo on blogs or anywhere.

PM me, i can tell you who it is, their email, how long i've known him, how i met him, and which ST artist shouts him out on his debut album.

i first started working with him around the release of DJ Rels and mary had brown hair by gary wilson.

#5 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

Jokes dude.

#6 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,515 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:41 AM

PM me, i can tell you who it is, their email, how long i've known him, how i met him, and which ST artist shouts him out on his debut album.

whats their fav childhood memory? their mothers maiden name? if you dont know these answers im afraid i dont believe you

sorry

#7 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,194 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:07 AM

I finally took Vilens' advice and copped both 12" last week from a local shop. The next day I was in another store grabbing the last copy of the vinyl LP they had on their shelf. This album is incredible. I feel like I'm getting inside a time machine every time the needle hits the wax. I highly recommend taking a dabble if you haven't yet found the chance.

On a side note, I want to give ST props for finally including an mp3 download with the vinyl. I'm aware that the same thing is happening with the Jonti release and I just hope that its a sign of things to come.

#8 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

On a side note, I want to give ST props for finally including an mp3 download with the vinyl. I'm aware that the same thing is happening with the Jonti release and I just hope that its a sign of things to come.

Thanks Sunny. We've been ahead of the curve in many things relating to digital, but way behind the curve on this particular point. Look for download cards with most or all our upcoming vinyl, and - possibly, not confirmed - mp3 downloads right from our web store with purchase of vinyl.
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#9 Theodore

Theodore

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts
  • Interests:Art, Music, Video Games, Pizza

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

... mp3 downloads right from our web store with purchase of vinyl.

Yes, that would be awesome. One of the things I like most about ordering Warp releases on Bleep.

But yeah, I thought the Stepkids album was great.

#10 zmister

zmister

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

Steppin to dis Stepkids

#11 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

I was wondering a few months ago whether or not we'd see a sophomore Stepkids release via ST. Then they started posting all those cover songs on YouTube, which had me like 'meh'. Now I'm psyched to see that they'll be dropping an actual follow-up full length, Troubadour, this September.

#12 zmister

zmister

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

OH LAWDDDDD

#13 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

I was wondering a few months ago whether or not we'd see a sophomore Stepkids release via ST. Then they started posting all those cover songs on YouTube, which had me like 'meh'. Now I'm psyched to see that they'll be dropping an actual follow-up full length, Troubadour, this September.

it's a great album

#14 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

Looking forward to it, though I'm not sure how I feel about "The Lottery" yet. The snippets paint an interesting picture though. Sounds like they've moved past the whole "psychedelic soul" thing into a more electro-funk sound overall. But it sounds highly varied. Memoirs of Grey has potential, Insecure Troubadour sounds like it's gonna be a billy joel ballad haha.

Reminiscing about seeing them in BK right after the first album came out... Cup is Half Full blew my mind live! did many STMB homies get to see these guys live?

#15 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

did many STMB homies get to see these guys live?

They've been through Denver a couple times but I missed both shows due to work. I can not wait for the day I get to trip shrooms at a Stepkids concert.

#16 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:25 AM

Im impressed with the snippets! glad theyre trying something different.

#17 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • 4,194 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

JJ, what do I need to do to get my hands on one of those awesome promo copies of Troudador?

#18 Waldo

Waldo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

They should consider putting out an instrumental version of Troubadour.

#19 Mr. Gerbik

Mr. Gerbik

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

I had to listen to their first ST album again. I bought the two 12"s they dropped, but never got around listening to the album. Thats some good shit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users