10 replies to this topic

#1 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:52 AM

I'm putting together a compilation of Madvillain sounds for someone who's never heard anything by the dynamic duo, so I just wanted to check if any non-album tracks can be considered Madvillain.
Two tracks I'm thinking of in particular are "Absolutely" off Born Like This and "Closer" off The Further Adventures. Absolutely is on DOOM's record but is produced by Madlib and Closer in on the Quas record, featuring DOOM.
Are these Madvillain cuts or not? And are there anything other tracks worth mentioning off the record, so to speak, that could or should be considered?

#2 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

this is a weird question... and it's all a fine line. i'd just say who cares, but i think the official word is that absolutely is a doom track and closer is a quas track FEAT madvillain. I'm pretty sure what makes a madvillain track is doom and madlib recording a track and then deciding to call it a madvillain track rather than a DOOM track. what the difference is EXACTLY...i mean apart from some slight tonal differences in doom's lyrics and lib's production, would we be able to tell 'absolutely' is not a madvillain track without being told? i don't know, but I mean, is space hoes (madlib remix) a madvillain track? i... i dont think so... but there are very few non album cuts CREDITED to madvillain, "closer" is like the only one i can think of that's on a legit full length album (like not a mixtape).

non-villainy cuts i like: the figaro remix off ST: Ten Years, the meat grinder (chrome face remix), one beer (drunk version), then there's papermill and all the supposed mv2 cuts. oh and the madvillainy remix of course.

#3 tankdayglo

tankdayglo

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

Just buy a copy of Madvillany for them.

#4 Machiventa

Machiventa

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:Love, Hugs, & Hip Hop Soul

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

Don't forget the James Pants remix of Money Folder... one of my fav Doom tracks.

But yeah I would call any Madlib beat that Doom spits on a Madvillain track. Absolutely feels Madvillainy to me.

#5 jay_the_bad_kid

jay_the_bad_kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Madlib, Quasimoto, Otis Jackson Jr, Lord Quas ... oh yeah and DOOOM.

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

Madlib on the Beats + DOOM on the mic = Madvillain.

Its that simple.

#6 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

so does the jp remix of money folder cease to be a madvillain track?
i mean what's a viktor vaughn track? is fancy clown a madvillain track or a VV track?
hmmm....

#7 Vilens

Vilens

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

avalanche, victory laps, savior beans.

i agree with some of points above, it has to be created with it intentionally being a madlib and doom collaboration as madvillain. doom throwing him a verse or doom scooping a beat from madlib that he's producing for himself doesn't count as MV.

#8 JJ

JJ

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:57 AM

avalanche, victory laps, savior beans.

avalanche and savoir beans are unfinished and unreleased. victory laps is a track doom did with ghostface, no madlib involvement.

#9 Vilens

Vilens

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

avalanche and savoir beans are unfinished and unreleased. victory laps is a track doom did with ghostface, no madlib involvement.

nothing in what he said specified that unreleased tracks don't count he said "And are there anything other tracks worth mentioning off the record, so to speak, that could or should be considered?". also i think the victory laps madvillainz remix can count. why wouldn't it?

#10 WaldoH

WaldoH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

I don't remember these message boards being as pointlessly retarded when I joined.

Is it just me or are the comments on this thread some of the lamest shit to ever cross STMB?
  • SunnyMeadowz likes this

#11 hot_cocoa

hot_cocoa

flow slow as mongo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

it's not a madvillain track without the secret ingredient.....Love.

/sarcasm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users