51 replies to this topic

#31 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:46 PM

To what I have considered, I believe Donuts changed music as a whole. Instrumental (or beat tapes) albums as a viable release, something that record labels "green light" as a concept/product would not have had the trajectory in popularity or demand since Donuts' release. I would also have to say that "drum machine" and "loopers" in the evolution of popular band music have replaced traditional instruments (in influence and prominence) since Donuts. I view this impact as a correlation to albums like Donuts.
As I am very apparent that Donuts was not or has not been the only "bender" in popular music since its release, I would heavily argue that it is an album that will stand the test of time as an altering/pivoting point in music history.
With that said, Donuts has to be top 5 of all time. It is an album that I do not discern having tracks/breaks. It is listened as a whole like the importance of a score to a film.

#32 OSŲ

OSŲ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:interests?

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

At first glance Donuts is crazy and fuckin weird. But then I came back to it.. and it's amazing. You have to have heard all other dilla before you can really appreciate what he did with Donuts.

And yeah, about half of the songs were on beat tapes and shit. but they sound 10x better mixed and perfected for donuts
RIP

#33 Jay Optic

Jay Optic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Braudes, Blunts, Brews, & Beats. Oh Yeah And Bankroll
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/darealness

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

Donuts is amazing... true that it's nothing compared to some of those chill raw synth and spacey/soulful beats Dilla had back out in the day when he went more by Jay Dee. But peeps gotta understand that this guy made Donuts, literally while he was dying. I mean the doctor's went in to his room and told him you only have 1 month to live.... and he's just like ok, let me just make one last album then. Not many people are that dedicated to their craft, that knowing they have such a short amount of time to live and are bed ridden, it's amazing Dilla was able to pull out something like Donuts while hooked up to some machines keeping him alive and at the same time he had his MPC and turntable sitting in front of him and he was making some tracks.

Plus Donuts by far has to be at least in my top 10 if not then even top 5 of my fav albums of all time. And I listen to shitloads of music.

And I agree with Mixusupreme, the more you listen to it, the better it gets. gotta learn to appreciate the subtleties in the tracks.

And whoever says DIlla is overrated........ then those people are fucking idiots, Let's be honest, DIlla broke new grounds, No one can touch what he did or even begin to comprehend how it is he got his beats to sound the way they did. No matter how you slice it or try to dissect it, no one has come close to DIlla's sound.... that in itself, that you are able to actually create something that sounds fucking amazing and you know people are gonna be inspired by your music and try to dissect your style and maybe start making their own music..... that to me is simply and absolutely amazing. Not a lot of people can get to that point. I know DIlla inspired me to make beats, was he my only inspiration? no. but I think if it wasn't for DIlla I would not be where I am today musically. because his sound did inspire me in a lot of ways

Nuff Said. Post Over lol

#34 Jay Optic

Jay Optic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Braudes, Blunts, Brews, & Beats. Oh Yeah And Bankroll
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/darealness

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

dilla did not make donuts while in the hospital bed a month before he passed, pretty sure he had a ton of it in the works before he went into the hospital, most of the work there was protools clean up if i remember reading correctly, lining up recorded out tracks or whatever, but threads like this are most likely the reason that that dude says donuts is overrated, people have jumped on it, whatever, and so now its "fresh" to be over it, coincidentally i bumped it last night for the first time in a few months and got hype off of it, some crazy subtle shit in workinonit that i never took the time to think about, don't know how he set up the sequencing of that track, parts fade in and layer over each other so fuckin seamlessly, i know you can say that about a majority of the tracks on there, but workinonit had me trippin last night

Read An Interview Wit Ma Dukes An she Said He Was Working In The Hospital.. She Said she would bring him up his portable record player an his stonesthrow mp they gave him, she said when he couldnt work it would make his condition that much worse. Maybe not all of it was made in the hospital, but def most of it was made while he was dying day in an out. Now i don know about you but that takes a lot to continue to work knowing your dying. Dilla is hands down. The Best To Ever Do It.

#35 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

i may be late but is dilla asking "is death real?" at the beginning of this song?
  • GC90 and MWBOOGIE like this

#36 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

Gotta respond to the original post ... Dilla Donuts hasn't left my "play often/all the time" stack of records since it first came out. There's not many records out there that one would consider timeless, meaning you can remember what you were doing at the exact moment that you first heard it. I was on Myspace (remember that shit?) chatting with a lady friend of mine who went to the release party ... She called me when "Two Can Win" was playing and I damn near fell out my chair when the "oooOOOOHHHH" part started playing. Classic shit, no doubt.

Posted Image

when i first heard it i kinda liked it, when i heard it a few years later i liked it more but only a few songs were must listens, now after years of listening ot all kinds of music and getting into making beats of my own and looping!!! i finaly came back to this album last week!!! and i LOVE it and i have to listen to the whooooole thing its been in rotation daily especially on the way to the job...

#37 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

i may be late but is dilla asking "is death real?" at the beginning of this song?

Yes, he chopped it up that way. I recall when I first heard it, my jaw was on the floor. I was worried over some stupid bitch and this dude had the balls to do something like that...real cold.

In one of the specials dedicated to donuts someone, I can't recall who was discussing it. I will post it. Now that is how you sample(and chop) ladies and gents.
  • gEEchieDan likes this

#38 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

I've always thought he was just having Jada say 'Its DEF real' but you may be on to something...

#39 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

yeah, i've heard that theory before too...

#40 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

Poor James Yancey. I suffer from the blues to some great effect but I will not understand what he went through in making that song. When I heard it after my millionth time of playing it over and over post-breakup...I did finally understand what proper dj music was.

The sampling here is art. The motif set, really draws the mood. Not to say that I do not love the original track, but to do what he did on this was nothing short of incredible.

I am not sure who the admonishment is made for in this track...."Stop and think about what you are doing..."

My interpretations were off as to his real life. At the time I thought that he had not witnessed a true love and was leaving the world without loving.

It has been so long. But, have you ever left the tv on, on accident and heard the terrible music on there? Imagine if each tv program was instead programed on his MPC.

Anyway, to get back to the death is real--I saw one of the cratediggers or other segments and cannot recall who it was but they confirmed that they too were real surprised when they heard the unfinished version of donuts and he added that part....JRocc??Shoes? My memory not so good guys. I got so much terror on my mind. I refuse to lose.

#41 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

yeah it wasn't made on his death bed like alot of people think
Kweli was saying that on twitter awhile back and J.Rocc responded to him saying that wasn't true

#42 GC90

GC90

Discogs / waxramble / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

yeah it wasn't made on his death bed like alot of people think
Kweli was saying that on twitter awhile back and J.Rocc responded to him saying that wasn't true

Weird, the way I have always heard it described (by ST folks even), it did sound like he was making this record on what was essentially his death bed? Was he working on this record a bit before he was as messed up?

#43 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

No, I was under the understanding based on what Ma Dukes and J. Rocc said, that he had definitely made the beats out of the forty or so records that he asked be brought to him.

#44 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

well since i most likely will never know the exact story.... im sticking with the death bed story because it makes the album that much fucking beautiful.... its fun too trying to figure out what hes trying to get across i be over here like "on fruit man he was telling us to eat more fruit and we can see the differeeeeeeeeeence in how our bodies felt and could cure ourselves of diseasel"

lmaooooooo!!!!!

• James Frank. likes this

#45 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

lol I've heard this album a billion times and never noticed this.

#46 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

GC90 you serious? Crazy.

#47 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

I've always thought he was just having Jada say 'Its DEF real' but you may be on to something...

Always just heard it as this lol, maybe I'm just dumb though <_<

This one way more obvious, still always gives me goosebumps listening to that last track though (edit: Fits in more with the "on his death bed" producing this story though I guess.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MyPSFnyaTQ
  • MWBOOGIE likes this

#48 Tastik BEATS

Tastik BEATS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Producing cloudy, phonky beats
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/tastik

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

Tbh he relies way to much on samples in donuts. It just sounds like snippets. Iam not bashing it in fact i really enjoy it and mash is my personal fave on the album

Aka j yancey is my favourite as well ruft draft and the shining

#49 Small Pro

Small Pro

Rookie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:57 AM

well, my mind is now blown (re: the jada vocal chop) thanks guys...

#50 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

When I used to smoke a bit it was easy to love and enjoy Dilla so very much. At least then, you do not think much about the sad death part.

#51 Crystal Joker

Crystal Joker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:My Ganja, Oranges, Coffee
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/head-jamz

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

From what I noticed is people who produce music appreciate Donuts more than people who listen to music
  • gEEchieDan and James Frank. like this

#52 GC90

GC90

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

From what I noticed is people who produce music appreciate Donuts more than people who listen to music

Couldn't be any more wrong for me anyway.

I have no musical ability at all, love to listen to music, and appreciate the album quite a lot lol
  • Fake Krills likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users