• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 I SLAP HIPSTERS

I SLAP HIPSTERS

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

Did you like it? If yes, what exactly did you like about it? How did you like her "singing"? In addition, how much of a role did Portishead play in you liking her?

I understand that ST had expanded their repertoire to reach a wider audience but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Listened to it several times, tried, but the singing is just so bad and her delivery is like "i am soooo bored by all of you because i am sooo cool"

Not my cup of tea.
  • E.Powers likes this

#2 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Did you like it? If yes, what exactly did you like about it? How did you like her "singing"? In addition, how much of a role did Portishead play in you liking her?

I understand that ST had expanded their repertoire to reach a wider audience but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Listened to it several times, tried, but the singing is just so bad and her delivery is like "i am soooo bored by all of you because i am sooo cool"

Not my cup of tea.

she sounds similer to nico i like nico so her 'singing' doesnt bother me, i love geoff barrow from portisheads work so i checked it out although besides putting it out on his label(st licence this album from invader records no?)and playing on this record(possibly drums??)thats the only role the portishead had on me LISTENING to this (not liking)

i know your trying to get at something with this but get over it

#3 I SLAP HIPSTERS

I SLAP HIPSTERS

Rookie

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:05 AM

i thought rthe music was garbage and i wondered why stones throw was involved in this. i also wanted to hear other peoples opinion on this.

#4 Taskmaster2112

Taskmaster2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:26 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Anika album is garbage, but I wasn't really feeling it either.

In terms of your question of why Stones Throw is involved in Anika and other acts that aren't really in the ST mold (i.e. Vex Ruffin, whose single I'm also not feeling, and the Stepkids, who are dope), PBW has said in many interviews that he uses Stones Throw to release music that he likes rather than what he thinks will sell or any other qualifications like that. It seems that his tastes have expanded to include stuff that isn't just hip hop, instrumental stuff, and a bit of funk and jazz, which is fine with me as long as the overall quality of releases doesn't drop and ST keeps releasing the genres they're known for, which they seem to be doing. I just wish they'd sign a few more funky acts like Dam-Funk and Georgia Anne Muldrow (or get Georgia back), although I guess they did just get Steve Arrington, which is a big signing for them. I also think it'd be cool if they signed a couple of non-Madlib jazz acts that are unique enough to fit on this label (or put out a Karriem Riggins jazz record).

#5 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

first Anika thread I could find to bump. Gotta say, her self-titled LP has grown on me immensely over the past two years. Sure, a couple tracks still miss for me, but overall I did pretty much a 180 on the album since it first came out. Once I got over stuff like how "strange" her delivery and the production are and that it was "weird" (aka non-hip-hop) for ST and gave it a few unbiased listens, it's given me a lot of repeated listening value. A lot of late night bangers on there. Wish people would respond to/demand more of her stuff more often.

Anyway started searching for an anika thread because I was wondering if her new self-titled EP is gonna be available on wax? definitely plan on copping if so, the snippets all sound amazing. Anika covering the Crystals is perfection. Don't even care if I Go To Sleep is a repeat.

#6 brentabousko

brentabousko

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

i'm more happy that ST was promoting BEAK> awhile back even if its not on their label

#7 ST Bot

ST Bot

STMB Official

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

Swamp - although the official release date is about a month away, we have the Anika EP on today, and the LP / CD will be up today as well. http://www.stonesthr.../anika/anika-ep
  • DJ Primate and SwampThing like this

#8 shakey finch

shakey finch

• Members
  • 5,506 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

i'm more happy that ST was promoting BEAK> awhile back even if its not on their label

yeah i saw beak> when i was in new york last month supported by chrome canyon was a pretty good gig, i asked geoff barrow if he was doing another quakers album apparently so....

#9 DJ Projexion

DJ Projexion

STMB Bouncer

• Members
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

i asked geoff barrow if he was doing another quakers album apparently so....

This made my day! Geeked!

#10 DJ Primate

DJ Primate

The Soulful Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Swamp - although the official release date is about a month away, we have the Anika EP on today, and the LP / CD will be up today as well. http://www.stonesthr.../anika/anika-ep

I was meaning to ask about the LP. Many thanks!

#11 Mowgli

Mowgli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

i back anika for sure and wolfs decision. i think its definitely good for the label to give acts such as her and vex a chance, and i personally think that it is truly creative music that is being made for all the right reasons which is ultimately a strong passion and influence of past musical styles and trends. i think wolf knows well enough if someones music is sincere and not on some fake shit. while sometimes it may not be my cup of tea, i can still respect and very well get into most of it once i understand what it's about and where they're coming from..

#12 QuincyBanks

QuincyBanks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:55 PM

Definitely dug the self-titled album. The "In The City" and "Love Buzz" covers were sweeeet.

Here's some artwork that I made not too long ago:

Posted Image
  • Grifty-Rodriguez likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users