89 replies to this topic

#31 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:06 PM

I never got into mos def. Iv never heard a song by him I liked, but I have also never looked very hard. He always seemed weird in a retarded kind of way. Is there a song or anything that could shape a better perspective?

explore Black On Both Sides.
I recently had a conversation with someone, and we both agreed that if you don't care for Black On Both Sides you have to accept that Mos Def is not your "cup of tea".
  • GC90 likes this

#32 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

explore Black On Both Sides.
I recently had a conversation with someone, and we both agreed that if you don't care for Black On Both Sides you have to accept that Mos Def is not your "cup of tea".

Good advice. I'd be tempted to say the same about Black Star

#33 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

Besides Black on Both Sides, Ecstatic, and to a lesser degree Black Star (Some great stuff on that album, but overhyped imo) I think Mos Def's catalog is on the weaker side imo.

All the Madlib/Oh No + Mos Def stuff sounding fantastic though

#34 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  • Interests:crates, paint, sashimi, sticks of sherm.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

I never got into mos def. Iv never heard a song by him I liked, but I have also never looked very hard. He always seemed weird in a retarded kind of way. Is there a song or anything that could shape a better perspective?

"Mathematics" is a staple in any hip-hop diet, if not for the intelligent lyricism than definitely for the memorable beat by Primo.

#35 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

Besides Black on Both Sides, Ecstatic, and to a lesser degree Black Star (Some great stuff on that album, but overhyped imo) I think Mos Def's catalog is on the weaker side imo.

All the Madlib/Oh No + Mos Def stuff sounding fantastic though

I recently revisited The New Danger, and I am really enjoying the album's entire vibe. Songs not just verses over beats.

#36 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Black On Both Sides is a CLASSIC hip hop album! One of the last true classics!

#37 cav23j

cav23j

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:51 AM

Nah, no Madlib, but what up with the weird accent and him saying he's from there? He's from brooklyn!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvFj7Zr5oxc

that's not what he meant, he is originally from Africa, not the first african american to say that

#38 D'MosPhree

D'MosPhree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

does anybody know where I can see/hear the live from Africa stuff?

#39 orchidthegreat

orchidthegreat

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

if you don't care for Black On Both Sides you have to accept that hip hop is not your "cup of tea".

#40 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

that's not what he meant, he is originally from Africa, not the first african american to say that

I dig how he is in touch with his heritage, but dude is from Brooklyn.

#41 Pattch82

Pattch82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Black On Both Sides is a CLASSIC hip hop album! One of the last true classics!

I feel like Black On Both Sides has aged very badly... I struggle to listen to that album nowadays.

I love 'The Ecstatic' though... I would recommend that album to anyone trying to get in to Mos. The production is craaaazy on that album.

Cheers!
  • James Frank. likes this

#42 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

I love black on both sides. Mos def...Yasiin Bey just needs better production for me to listen to him more often.
  • D'MosPhree and GC90 like this

#43 AleisterBenway

AleisterBenway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:07 AM

has Mos been livin in South Africa? That accent is unmistakable...

#44 BroKing

BroKing

STMB Unofficial

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:01 AM

looool now mos def name is yasin bay or some shit i see allot of white looking arab muslims listing to him now and posting pics of him on facebook and tumblr smh. we black people can have nothing
  • GC90 and James Frank. like this

#45 ynqhead

ynqhead

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

black people can have nothing

paul mooney

#46 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

i gotta say, i agree with the person above. The Ecstatic is the better album compared to BOBS, although both are classics and have great tracks on 'em...but i mean c'mon, there's no question whether or not one's better than the other: The Ecstatic from beginning to end has amazing beats, interesting subject matter not typical of hip-hop, and it's got Slick Rick and Talib Kweli...rapping over Madlib and Dilla beats, respectively.

#47 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

i gotta say, i agree with the person above. The Ecstatic is the better album compared to BOBS, although both are classics and have great tracks on 'em...but i mean c'mon, there's no question whether or not one's better than the other: The Ecstatic from beginning to end has amazing beats, interesting subject matter not typical of hip-hop, and it's got Slick Rick and Talib Kweli...rapping over Madlib and Dilla beats, respectively.

I graciously disagree.

If you evaluate the two albums during their respected "times" they were released, Black On Both Sides takes the cake.
And IMO - BOBS lives up to the times.
Not typical Hip Hop subject matter - " New World Water" Dude spits about water...

BOBS definitely has more of a New York vibe, which I must say has waned in popularity I have noticed (especially turn of the century sound).

I'll give you that Ecstatic is more polished and has that contemporary sheen to it.
But BOBS is a complete album, not a bunch of beats and verses slap dashed.

I got to cut to the chase I guess, if you weren't submerged in hip hop circa late 1990s you probably are not going to agree with this.
No ageism disrespect.

IMO - Ecstatic would've gotten cut by the Rawkus logo.
  • BleeHLH likes this

#48 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

^ Just a perfect example of why those shysters at Rawkus aren't relevant in 2014...

Even in 2000 I could barely get through Black On.

Mos Def/Yasiin gets the award for Biggest Underacheiver in Hip Hop. The dude has soooooo much more potential than any of his work has actually shown. I'm not saying his albums are terrible, because they all have a few great songs. Just that he has yet to show the world his true potential. Hopefully Otis can bring that out of him. Can't wait for 2027 when OBEY finally drops!!
  • GC90 and gEEchieDan like this

#49 gEEchieDan

gEEchieDan

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Boxing, Music, STMB, Madlib...
  • Soundcloud:geechiedan

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

Mos Def/Yasiin gets the award for Biggest Underacheiver in Hip Hop. The dude has soooooo much more potential than any of his work has actually shown. I'm not saying his albums are terrible, because they all have a few great songs. Just that he has yet to show the world his true potential. Hopefully Otis can bring that out of him. Can't wait for 2087 when OBEY finally drops!!

#50 BleeHLH

BleeHLH

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

All I gotta say is.. how old are you guys? You must have been like 12 when it dropped in '99 and wasn't mature enough to get it. BOBS is up there with Illmatic in my book.. O_o

#51 Grifty-Rodriguez

Grifty-Rodriguez

STMB Tapatío

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:Burritos, HipHop
  • Soundcloud:http://soundcloud.com/grifty

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

!!!??? Sorry dude but that shit is way crazy

#52 GC90

GC90

waxramble / Discogs / etc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Interests:Music

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hmm. I think Black on Both Sides the rap was better, but Ecstatic easily had way better beats. Tough call on which is better, but I'd prob still give it to BOBS.

Edit: The intro is still a classic imo

#53 MWBOOGIE

MWBOOGIE

STMB Official

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

Well, I had tired of Mr. bey, but I'm gonna catch him when he hits up the nearby Hall since a. I haven't cared to catch a show in ages and b. I haven't witnessed him in some time. I was a big fan of a lack on another Sides and well...you know the other gems. But then again most of you were real young back then.

I can understand that he is a bit lady, but whatever. There is so much hip hop out there that I would not pay to see. He a gummy looking guy. I'll record the show and post should I make it there.

#54 SunnyMeadowz

SunnyMeadowz

The Royal Dutch of Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,102 posts
  • Interests:Weed, Pussy, Records (In no particular order)

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

Maybe I've juat soured to him over the years due to the fact that he consistently will book a show and then cancel it the day of the performance...

#55 nervous

nervous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:24 AM

The most def track and beautiful he ever kicked, in my humble opinion:

• GC90 and Jubito like this

#56 Cheel

Cheel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC AND TING
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/cheel

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

I played Black on Both Sides so many damn times that I can barely listen to a single track any more. Really weird, I liked it for a long time but have really gotten over it.

Black Star album is better x10 IMO

The Ecstatic, I was annoyed with him rapping over that Oxperiment beat from the first track, so I marked it down straight away... It's ok tho.

Haven't heard new danger.

#57 NickleBanks

NickleBanks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

I think Mos gets better with each release. The Ecstatic was top notch in my opinion. Auditorium, Priority, and Quiet Dog are all classics and the production rides all the way through - strangely though I find one of the weaker moments to be the Dilla produced History feat. Kweli. On paper, the track should be amazing but on repeat listens that's one of the one's I find myself skipping. Anyway, can't wait for the Yasiin Bey project(s) to drop.
  • GC90 likes this

#58 James Frank.

James Frank.

Rookie of the Year

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

i still stand by my opinion. The Ecstatic was more concise and thematic to me, whereas BOBS seems like a collection of, albeit thought-provoking but still immensely varied, tracks. that doesn't mean i don't like it, it's an amazing album...but i remember every single track on TE, distinctly; can't say the same for all the tracks on BOBS, especially that instrumental that closes it out at the end.
  • GC90 likes this

#59 DELCO

DELCO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

This release cooled my interest to an artic breeze...
Posted Image

When he isn't on the mic he is pretty obnoxious...

Posted Image

#60 SwampThing

SwampThing

To Serve Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Black Star is awesome. Black on Both Sides is genius. And The Ecstatic feels like the album he should have made RIGHT AFTER Black on Both Sides, it's that album's rightful heir. Everything in between those albums as Mos focussed on acting was a disappointment. The Ecstatic is great (not only because so many of the beats we here already knew and loved), but when I hear it I'm always reminded of that 10-year gap where he was not on his game. He announced that mixtape with Talib Kweli that was going to be Aretha Franklin-sample themed which I was VERY hyped for, then it never happened. These new cuts show potential, I hope he doesn't go off the deep end with the Africa/religious/spiritualist stuff.

And I agree with Sunny that he's always seemed to fail to deliver on his potential even on his classic albums (even on Black on Both Sides, which I said was genius, there are very skippable tracks)

But I always felt like he was probably the nicest dude in reality, but maybe my opinion was biased by this:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users