12 replies to this topic

#1 Mattremot

Mattremot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

I'm probably part of an extreme minority here in that I make beats on a computer and not a machine, but I was still wondering what you guys do for bass notes. Do you sample them? Do you play an actual bass guitar? I wanna try playing a real one to get a more authentic sound.

#2 godzilla

godzilla

STMB's number one superhero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Soundcloud:https://soundcloud.com/djgodzilla-2

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

I'm probably part of an extreme minority here in that I make beats on a computer and not a machine, but I was still wondering what you guys do for bass notes. Do you sample them? Do you play an actual bass guitar? I wanna try playing a real one to get a more authentic sound.

I do synths if I write them but yeah you can/should play the bass if you think it'll sound good. I make my music on computers too. Also, sampled bass can be great if you chop it/eq it right!

#3 BazacoPROject

BazacoPROject

Disciple of Ford Prefect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,077 posts
  • Location:Chucktown Souf' Cack, by way of ATL, by way of MD...

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:06 AM

Mattremont, I'm having the same issue. I sampled and chopped my bass line for the "milt and grady trade jabs" track on my myspace. I sampled the bass line in with sound forge and chopped it up with acid pro. www.myspace.com/bazacoproject. Check it out. It isn't too hard. But, it isn't as funky as it would be if you were to play the bass yourself.

#4 asterikss

asterikss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:39 AM

.. i make beats on computer! :) check me out.. www.myspace.com/asterikss
..i sample records and use my drummachine - it has bass in it!

#5 Otomo

Otomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

sample it --> chop it ---> impliment ---> re-sample it.

Continue the process until your satisfied. I find continous re-sampling will evolve your sounds. Make it more unique!

#6 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 11:35 AM

when you say comuter, what do you mean?
i take it you are usung software, but what kind?
most have synth/bass sounds, doesnt yours?

Just so you know tho, i use all samples,
for bass i use samples, but also sine waves, square and trinanlge waves.

for each including all samples, i may pitch up or down, filter, eq, compress, reverb, all sorts of tinkering can make your bass and all sounds for that matter better.

#7 Mattremot

Mattremot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

Yeah I use FL Studio and it has bass that I use, but I don't like it. I sample bass notes but I find that too difficult to achieve the sound I really want. If I'm not mistaken, most producers that have really good bass use real bass guitars.

#8 ren

ren

STMB Deluxe

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

ummm yah and neh,
i sample so most of my bass lines are sampled.
usually I chop them up and rearange teh notes to make a new bass line,

but the key is, I get teh texture I want because most times, the bass comes from the main sample that I am using so the timbre, notes, harmonics and recording all sound teh same, it makes my sounds sound cohesive.

if my bass is not from teh original main sample, then i search for one that will fit,

and in both cases i usually end up tinkering with it to get an appropriate sound that matches the sound that i am going for.

it all depends on how you play with it really.

So if you record a bass line, you might have the right notes and rhytem and tempo, but things to consider would be
-micing it, how you mic it affects what it sounds like
-do you record in a live or dead room, agian this will affect the sound of the recording
-wha mic you use

-then the level at which you mix it
-what effects you use
-and all of that so \///

so basically what ithinkis there are a million ways to skin a cat.'

meow.

#9 Drums

Drums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:15 AM

microKorg + eq

#10 ntw1212

ntw1212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:26 AM

buy a real bass!!!! you can probably find one for cheap on ebay... Ive done all the aforementioned... sampling bass lines off of records, making synth bass (which can achieve some interesting effects) and ive found that a real bass guitar gives tthat bump!!! It just sounds so thick that it doesnt even compare... alot of times the bass on my synth sounds hollow. The bass on my drum machine is alright (korg electribe esx-1!!!) but with a real bass guitar you are not restricted to drum pads or a drum sequencer (drum pads are for drums, not bass!!). Ive achieved some serious low end with a combination of my M-audio fast track interface and a bass guitar that i got for 100$ (ebay!!!) I dont even have an amp for it (too damn exxpensive!!) when im not at the recording stage i just hook the bass up to my mic input in my mixer, when ive come up with a dope rythm i just switch to the interface and lay it the fuck down!!!! The software program i use has some really good eq's and compressors (cakewalks homestudio...fuck pro tools!) rattle the fuckin windows!!!!

#11 KonceptG

KonceptG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

I use a PC for my beats and for bass I usually use Tritium or Novation BassStation filtered with either the Prosoniq Northpole filter or Waldorf D-Pole filter. If I need something a little more "textured", I'll use NI's Pro53.

#12 Mattremot

Mattremot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

what is a pro53???

#13 KonceptG

KonceptG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

Native Instruments' Pro53 VSTi/DXi plugin.

Posted Image

It's modeled after the Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 analog synth (I used to own a Sequential Circuits Multi-Trak synth and a SC Max once upon a time). It's a nice ass plugin if you know how to program analog synths.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users