• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 soulstice

soulstice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:08 PM

What do you guys use in samples? I know that wav is better quality but I wanted to know all of your opinions.

Also another technical question. I use audacity and when I save as .wav I can't get them to play in Reason because the audacity wav format is not accepted and the only way I can get it to regular .wav is through iTunes and then I am forced to lower the quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 JSRockit

JSRockit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:35 PM

What do you guys use in samples? I know that wav is better quality but I wanted to know all of your opinions.

Also another technical question. I use audacity and when I save as .wav I can't get them to play in Reason because the audacity wav format is not accepted and the only way I can get it to regular .wav is through iTunes and then I am forced to lower the quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use wav or aiff... but if I have to...I will convert an MP3 to wav and use it.

#3 scabs

scabs

Facebook.com/scabsallover Scabsallover.bandcamp.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  • Interests:Ableton9, APC40, & Monome 40h

Superlative Records
    Zypher Un Label
    Keep Records
  • Soundcloud:www.soundcloud.com/scabsallover

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

I just sample homie. Wav, aiff, MP3... its all the same theoritcally when your studio is mostly outboard gear. MP3 WILL HAVE LOWER QUALITY! Constantly converting from format to format tends to destroy the original sonic quality as well. My advice, get yourself an outboard sampler, and an interface to shoot right back in if it doesnt have usb capability.

www.myspace.com/scabsivvi

SCAbS

#4 Otomo

Otomo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

The only thing you need to know is. A shitty sample will always be a shitty sample. You have to start with clean sounding .wav from the gitgko, or your fucked. You can clean things up to a degree, but for a mixdown to sound tight & loud, the samples origin must be high quality. Mp3 doesn't do the justice of a wav. Not everyone is striving for that pinnacle mix though. Just understand you can't turn crap into gold. For crap is infact, always shit.

#5 Automaton

Automaton

Rookie

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:32 PM

The highest quality wav file you will ever really need for home productions is 24 bit 44.1 Khz. The NN-XT sampler and Redrum drum machine slots in Reason definitely accept those. Any Higher than that and the difference in quality will be negligible. Don't want to sound like a prick, but I kinda know cos I'm an audio engineer. Most people will not notice the difference if you use a well-encoded high-quality MP3 but its not ideal.

Can't think why this audacity software should be giving you trouble with wav files....

Just make sure its 24 bit 44.1 Khz, don't bother with anything higher.

If you're ever sampling off CD for any reason then remember on the actual CD the audio is only 16 bit 44.1Khz anyway, so if audacity lets you create samples of that spec then just roll with that.

Word.

#6 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

I will convert an MP3 to wav and use it.

that wont really do anything for ya excpet make your file bigger. it aint gonna sound better...

#7 Patch Lunch

Patch Lunch

is flavour like praline

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

The highest quality wav file you will ever really need for home productions is 24 bit 44.1 Khz. The NN-XT sampler and Redrum drum machine slots in Reason definitely accept those. Any Higher than that and the difference in quality will be negligible. Don't want to sound like a prick, but I kinda know cos I'm an audio engineer. Most people will not notice the difference if you use a well-encoded high-quality MP3 but its not ideal.
Can't think why this audacity software should be giving you trouble with wav files....

Just make sure its 24 bit 44.1 Khz, don't bother with anything higher.

If you're ever sampling off CD for any reason then remember on the actual CD the audio is only 16 bit 44.1Khz anyway, so if audacity lets you create samples of that spec then just roll with that.

Word.

but as an audio engineer you surely would be working at 24/96 or 24/192 in the studio right??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users